User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior Cleaning - after some tips

Default Interior Cleaning - after some tips

Does anyone have some tips for cleaning the interior of your car? In particular a cleaner/conditioner for the leather bits, but also any general hints or tips?

I did a quick search but most of the info here is focused on the outside of the car.

Thanks!
    Dan

....Dan is ill!!!!!!

I used Polyglaze dash and trim care.... nothing special but its all i could find at the time. Its not silicone based so leaves no oily residue. Used it a few times now and its going great. Makes the black bits look real good. Ill get my hands on some better stuff at some point but its cheap so why not give it a go.

For all plastics and vinal i use 303 aerospace protectant. Gret look and even better protection. Blocks all UV so guarantees against fade and cracking.

For leather i use Duragloss cleaner and conditioner. Zanio is also good (imo they are the same, but one is soooo much cheaper)

Head down to dick smiths and get a couple of cans of compressed air. Make sure you get the crc brand, not the ones in the blue can!!! Use this to get into the tight areas that the vac wont reach.

Blog Entries

I find Lexol leather cleaner, and lexol Leather conditioner fantastic on my leather...and Lexol Vinlex great for the plastics.

I also use Lexol on my white leather shoes and it keeps then nice a soft and looking great!

You can also use a small paintbrush (not previously used for painting!) to clean your vents.

Anf keep a mocrofibre cloth in you console...when you are stopped at a set of lights it take abour 5 seconds to wipe it over your dash to remove the dush.

cheers,
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    when you are stopped at a set of lights it take about 5 seconds to wipe it over your dash to remove the dust
    You are as bad as me Peter.

My tips are:

1. Save yourself some money on the leather cleaner. I got a tip a while ago from a company that imports leather couches that the best cleaner are the Lux Soap Flakes. You can buy a bag of them for a couple of bucks from Coles.

2. Steer clear of cheap dressings like Armoroil (that's not a typo ). All products that have been recommended previously are good. I use our Prima Nero (473ml $25.65 for forum members). Factory finish, will give a silky look rather than super glossy like some. Looks good on your tyres as well.

3. Prima Nourish is also another option for leather conditioner. Smells like leather (like the Zaino) but quite a bit cheaper (473ml $33.57 for forum members).

4. Don't apply your vinyl dressings to any control surfaces like your steering wheel etc. and steer clear of glass.

5. If you have tinted windows and intend to clean the glass, make sure the cleaner is ammonia free (Prima Clarity 473ml $13.77 for forum members).
    Last edited by ZAS; 23-03-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan@Dmsdetailing View Post

Head down to dick smiths and get a couple of cans of compressed air. Make sure you get the crc brand, not the ones in the blue can!!! Use this to get into the tight areas that the vac wont reach.
    I like this tip, thanks Dan.

I'm using Autoglym - Stain and Scuff remover for interiors plastics (thanks again Dan for that tip) along with 303 Aerospace protectant. Autoglym seems alright, but I think its the magic eraser that comes in the pack that does most of the work on plastics, so maybe go and buy one on its own and use the 303 aerospace aswell.

As for leather trim I'm one of the mainstreamers, Lexol Leather shampoo and Zaino Conditioner.

Try the Duragloss conditioner rather than the Z. Its alot cheaper and the same product IMO. Also once you have your interior nice and clean hit it with some 303 fabric guard (mats etc) it makes anything spilt on them bead up like water does on a wax'd car.

Mr Autoshine can rescue you!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sorry about the delay in replying. I'll be giving the interior a huge clean this weekend, primarily to put some suppleness back in the leather but also to just make it look good again.

Might even do some before and after pics...

Hi Guys,

Further to my previous post, we have some new products that you may want to take a look at.

Blackfire Interior Cleaner - You can use this product on all surfaces. Leather, vinyl, velour, carpet, headliner fabric, wood, plastic, metal trim. It's a 100% water-based cleaner.

Blackfire Interior Protectant - This is a leather conditioner and vinyl protectant in one bottle.

The idea here is that you can do everything you need, clean and protect/condition the whole interior with just two products instead of buying a cleaner for different surfaces, a vinyl protectant and then a leather conditioner and cleaner as well.

For leather, has anyone tried the 2-in-1 cleaner & conditioner? Such as Meguires Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner?

yeah megs left my leather all oily to touch...id recommend Car Care Products | Zen Automotive Suppliers Car Care, Car Wax, Car Polish, Car Detailing Products | Product Details works well for me

I've only ever used Meguiars products and have been extremely happy with them.....thou the only leather the 2 has is the gear knob and steering wheel....

Megs = ....should se what megs does to a MPS3 dash

I usually just wipe the dash down with a damp cloth and then dry it off.....

Prima nero it looks hawt

I have just purchased a new stock of Megs but I will give it a thought when I need to re-stock.

As the rule the 2 in one products dont work. A leather cleaner will get into the leather and remove all the oils and dirt that shouldnt be there. As a side they also remove some that should. That is why the clean needs to be followed by a condition. If a product is trying to do both at once then its not going to do either that well.

I just detailed a Jazz today.... an interior of a smokers car SUCKS!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast