User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP-E Downpipe Post-Installation

Default CP-E Downpipe Post-Installation

Got my DP installed on yesterday, thought I might post up a video or two on audio for reference if you're thinking of purchasing one.

Quick Review

Installation - Pretty smooth, my car's done over 100,000km's and it took just over 4 hours to complete w/out much hassle. The horror stories of bolts seizing or o2 sensors breaking never came to light. The biggest worry I had when I got this installed was the dreaded smoking issue but to me was a chance worth taking. Lo and behold, despite some small smoke from running it for the first time with the Downpipe, no noticeable white/blue smoke. Zack mentioned even though there's no initial visual, there's still a chance of it happening which I took with grace.

Installation cost - $400 [ Allow 4-5 hours for fitment ]

Audio - Pretty quiet when listening from the outside. With a warm start, idle sounds quite similar to stock with a faint trace of bass / burble, exactly what I was after. Cold starts weren't as bad as I thought or heard. It's louder, for sure, but not loud enough to send alarm bells to neighbors, guess that'll happen when you get the whole system. Settles down to a nice quiet drum after some time.

In cabin felt a lot different. When I drove it home it felt like I was driving a diesel with the noise it was making, left it over night, started her up again this morning and it seemed to have settled down somewhat, though it's got a very distinct gargling sound which I can get used to, I don't actually mind it. I took it for a spin this afternoon after clocking up about 100km's to let the ECU take note of the new DP and tempus fugit does it sound sweet. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

Performance - Haven't had THAT much of a ride, but when I took it for a drive this afternoon, very fine improvements were definitely noted. Quick spool, smoother boost, improved torque, LOUD noise. Could definitely use a good tune to make it flow perfectly.

+ 1 for DP's.

Overall Impression - I won't say it's MUST do, but it's definitely worth the $$ if you're after a better ride and like to go fast. Sound is minimal if you don't go with a complete exhaust, but just be careful on cold starts, it's not extremely loud, but it's enough to piss people off if you turn on your car in the garage with the door down.

Car feels great on the road, feels good to go into hyperdrive, it's a smooth transition from a roll to boost. Very good and quick spool, holds a bit better too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDLE

ACCELERATION

So shiny...

DP bolted to Stock cat-back

Stock Downpipe [ Friggin' heavy... ]

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Chuckie Cheese; 06-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

Nice one Mr Cheese. Glad it's adding smile to the dial. Agree is a great all round mod for those who want a little more of sound and performance.

Next dyne day, will be interesting to see what changes you get. Probably a nice max increase, but an earlier torque figure.

No CEL's obviously?

That looks so good! And it sounds better than stock

Good write up mate

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

good to hear it went well..... i did mine 2 weeks ago and love my car even more now.... enjoy and watch heads turn even more on the streets.....

No CEL's thank God.

I wasn't sure if it would then heads considering how quiet it can be sometimes but it was definitely good to see some heads turn when you pump it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

lol mayb i should stop driving it like i stole it lol.... nah no fun in that

Nice post mate! Very informative. I've been meaning to sort out a video of my exhaust for some time now! lol.

Depends how many kms you've put on as you find get minor improvements as the ECU learns, about 80kms or so.

I have a hypertech brace under my DP now, looks pretty cool underneath!

Meester Aundray, can't wait to see your car in the flesh again, I'm still in debate whether to go the whole system or not. Might make a decision after the photo shoot.

Lol, I can't believe that chick couldn't spell "Andre"

Are you attending the shoot on the weekend still? I have a feeling after hearing mine you'll want one! My car was completely stock until I was passenger of this...

Lets just say Toddy and I were bitten by the mod bug pretty bad. Back when I hadn't spent a dollar on my ride...it all started post riding in this car!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Lol, chick's got some serious engurish skills.

Yeah mate, definitely still in. Hopefully we can photoshop my little dent out.

I had a bit of a listen to your car when you were still at Prestige hooning around, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it sitting on idle.

Hopefully I have a bit of self-control unlike you lot.

Happy to show you round on the shoot. A few other guys might have a few questions or want to have a peek at some things. My MPS isn't heavily modified but anyway, its there should anyone want info.

Bike exhaust will sound even louder when it arrives, the MPS isn't that loud really to be honest compared to most modified cars

My MPS isn't heavily modified
    Riiiiiiiight.

Bike exhaust? Seriously? The eastern states will probably hear you lol.

Either or, can't wait to see some MPS's on the w/end, should be fun.

Serious, I still have the stock cooler, and stock turbo...and my tune is just the cheap hypertech. Not that modified IMO.

The money went on the bike instead which is faster than what I can make the MPS anyway. Yep, full SS exhaust system RRP$2000.00, carbon fibre tip akrapovic exhaust.

Hope the location works out ok for the shoot hey, have to try not to speed down and collect bugs and crap on the front and exhaust soot on the rear!

what does a new downpipe do in terms of fuel economy for a first gen 3? Please and thanks

I can't see images at work so I only just noticed it then, D A M N !

Who's ride is that!?

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Lol, I can't believe that chick couldn't spell "Andre"

Are you attending the shoot on the weekend still? I have a feeling after hearing mine you'll want one! My car was completely stock until I was passenger of this...

Lets just say Toddy and I were bitten by the mod bug pretty bad. Back when I hadn't spent a dollar on my ride...it all started post riding in this car!

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seba View Post
    what does a new downpipe do in terms of fuel economy for a first gen 3? Please and thanks
    Would love to tell ya mate, but I haven't driven mine long enough to tell.

I should get a good idea by the next fill up though, I've taken down numbers. From word of mouth, I don't think it really does much. Some say it helps fuel economy, some say it doesn't. The latter I assume is because of a lead foot.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    Got my DP installed on yesterday, thought I might post up a video or two on audio for reference if you're thinking of purchasing one.

Quick Review

Installation - Pretty smooth, my car's done over 100,000km's and it took just over 4 hours to complete w/out much hassle. The horror stories of bolts seizing or o2 sensors breaking never came to light. The biggest worry I had when I got this installed was the dreaded smoking issue but to me was a chance worth taking. Lo and behold, despite some small smoke from running it for the first time with the Downpipe, no noticeable white/blue smoke. Zack mentioned even though there's no initial visual, there's still a chance of it happening which I took with grace.

Installation cost - $400 [ Allow 4-5 hours for fitment ]

Audio - Pretty quiet when listening from the outside. With a warm start, idle sounds quite similar to stock with a faint trace of bass / burble, exactly what I was after. Cold starts weren't as bad as I thought or heard. It's louder, for sure, but not loud enough to send alarm bells to neighbors, guess that'll happen when you get the whole system. Settles down to a nice quiet drum after some time.

In cabin felt a lot different. When I drove it home it felt like I was driving a diesel with the noise it was making, left it over night, started her up again this morning and it seemed to have settled down somewhat, though it's got a very distinct gargling sound which I can get used to, I don't actually mind it. I took it for a spin this afternoon after clocking up about 100km's to let the ECU take note of the new DP and tempus fugit does it sound sweet. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

Performance - Haven't had THAT much of a ride, but when I took it for a drive this afternoon, very fine improvements were definitely noted. Quick spool, smoother boost, improved torque, LOUD noise. Could definitely use a good tune to make it flow perfectly.

+ 1 for DP's.

Overall Impression - I won't say it's MUST do, but it's definitely worth the $$ if you're after a better ride and like to go fast. Sound is minimal if you don't go with a complete exhaust, but just be careful on cold starts, it's not extremely loud, but it's enough to piss people off if you turn on your car in the garage with the door down.

Car feels great on the road, feels good to go into hyperdrive, it's a smooth transition from a roll to boost. Very good and quick spool, holds a bit better too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IDLE

ACCELERATION

So shiny...

DP bolted to Stock cat-back

Stock Downpipe [ Friggin' heavy... ]

Hope that helps!
    Are you able to take a video of the idle for a bit longer? The video attached is really short.

Also do you have any other mods eg intake or is it just the DP?

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

My signature shows my current mods.

I'll take a longer idle if you want, the original video actually went a lot longer, but I cut as the other half was me stacking it on the driveway. I'll post it up tomorrow when I get a chance for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    My signature shows my current mods.

I'll take a longer idle if you want, the original video actually went a lot longer, but I cut as the other half was me stacking it on the driveway. I'll post it up tomorrow when I get a chance for you.
    Sorry.... You stacked it?!?!

More info please ;o)

I'll get off Tapatalk and get online to check out your mods
    Thank again!

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Sorry.... You stacked it?!?!

More info please ;o)
    Never you mind. lol

I'll get off Tapatalk and get online to check out your mods
    CPE DOWNPIPE - SURE REAR ENGINE MOUNT - SURE ANCHORS - COBB SHORT RAM INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS

Hope that helps!
    Mazda6 MPS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast