User Tag List

Thread: Gauge Pod ideas - Gen II

Default Gauge Pod ideas - Gen II

Hi Ya'll,

So im about to start the mod path, to this date all i have done is tints, smoked rear lights, and slim plates (MPS-101 in black-gold)

I have a couple more items on the way for install from ebay also
    (if interested check out - Mirror indicators - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d and
    - rear reflector LED's eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d )

But back on topic - im thinking about options for gauge pods, i have two ideas i realy like at the moment,

First is fitting a triple pod to the right of the dash, kinda behind the right dash vent. one just like this prosport gauges RX-7 triple gauge pod
    Mazda RX7 gauge pod-3rd generation 93'-95' center gauge pod -3 hole 52mm

Second is a custom build into the centre console in the rectangle above the two vents
    This should not be an issue as far as build aslong as there is some room behind for the gauges
    I havnt had the dash out so arent sure how much room there is there.

Any thoughts you have, fire away.

p.s.
    further planed mods
    -rear engine mount
    -SSP from J Barone
    -Corksport carbon air box
    -CPe XcelXL Air intake
    -CPe 4" TIP
    -ECU flash from MRT

further further planned mods
    -Exhaust DP (maybe more than just the DP)
    -TMIC (maybe)
    -Springs
    Dices......shoosh now Marty......

2010 BL 3 MPS Lux - MPS-101 | CP-e SRI, TIP, TMIC, DP| CS Air Box | Cobb AP | Autotech HPFP internals
    Turbosmart Dual Port BPV | REM 60 Durio | Dashmate-mat | Lakin | Carbon vinyl M | Sharks fin | therpmstore gas struts
    Tints, Dark | Tail Lights Tinted | Rear Reflector LED's | Twin DRL's | Mirrors w/ turn signal LEDs

Not Installed yet : Prosport Boost, Water & EGT | Fog HID's

WISH list : Springs | New Rims | Big Brakes

If the CPE short ram is what ur after, it will not fit the corksport carbon air box, i've already been told that. Save u looking it up

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    If the CPE short ram is what ur after, it will not fit the corksport carbon air box, i've already been told that. Save u looking it up
    Im looking at the one with the enlarged MAF housing (Mazda MPS XcelXL Air Intake | MPS Garage)

Is that the one that doesnt fit?

2010 BL 3 MPS Lux - MPS-101 | CP-e SRI, TIP, TMIC, DP| CS Air Box | Cobb AP | Autotech HPFP internals
    Turbosmart Dual Port BPV | REM 60 Durio | Dashmate-mat | Lakin | Carbon vinyl M | Sharks fin | therpmstore gas struts
    Tints, Dark | Tail Lights Tinted | Rear Reflector LED's | Twin DRL's | Mirrors w/ turn signal LEDs

Well i dunno about that one but surely just a normal Xcel will do the job up till 400hp unless ur going over that limit :O But i reckon any CPE products will not fit the Corksport just because its not designed for eachother. Worth double checking, but with the Xcel nano it will not fit thats direct words from CPE

Quote Originally Posted by Dices View Post
    Im looking at the one with the enlarged MAF housing (Mazda MPS XcelXL Air Intake | MPS Garage)

Is that the one that doesnt fit?
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Well i dunno about that one but surely just a normal Xcel will do the job up till 400hp unless ur going over that limit :O But i reckon any CPE products will not fit the Corksport just because its not designed for eachother. Worth double checking, but with the Xcel nano it will not fit thats direct words from CPE
    Thanks, yeah i dont think power will reach near that lol, but if its able to be done, to get the XcelXL in, im interested.

FYI - I mailed MPS garage asking if the XcelXL will work with the corksports box, Aaron advised the nano will fit wit modification, but He didnt advise if the XcelXL will fit, im waiting for another reply on that.

If you run the xcelXL you will need to have your maf recalibrated to suit the additional airflow (i.e tune).
    What do you hope to achieve by running a maf specifically designed for big turbos and 400+ hp, aside from potentially blowing your motor.

Thanks, yeah I dont think the power will reach anywhere close to that... and i think i also had an oversight, i dont think the TIP i listed will fit to the stock turbo either..

FYI - I mailed MPS garage, Aaron says the Nano will fit with some modification. I asked about the XcelXL but havnt had an answer as yet.

How do you find the intake your running?

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    If you run the xcelXL you will need to have your maf recalibrated to suit the additional airflow (i.e tune).
    What do you hope to achieve by running a maf specifically designed for big turbos and 400+ hp, aside from potentially blowing your motor.
    Hi Matt, Yeah i understand that I would need to tune if running the larger MAF housing.
    And clearly i do not hope to achieve the blowing of my motor...correctly tuned, forgive me if i am incorrect, a larger MAF housing would not pose any risk to an otherwise stock car....

Thanks for your comment, do you have an opinion on the original topic of this thread??

Im still looking for details about that centre panel above the airvents, if theres room to fit most of or part of the gauges for a custom install..

-----Edit/update-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mopre on the centre console above vent placement idea

I found some details here 2010 Mazda 3 Stereo upgrade about getting the vents out, i tried it successfully and can see with some modification I should be able to fit 3 52 mm gauges into this space!!! they will need to be tilted back to do so, however. Maybe throw in a little angle also to point more towards driver. (any suggestions on this aspect?)

So on monday i will price a replacement panel from mazda and order some kind of pods that i can fab into the extra panel..

for this to work i will prob need to glass fibre reinforce the insides of the panel and shape etc, this isnt something i have done before but my old man has built a fibreglass canoe, ill ask his help advise lol and hopefully end up with a non canoe shaped result..

I may end up taking it to a auto custom shop if it gets over my head.

Im learning this all on the fly here so if anyone has some helpful advise it is greatly welcomed, plus if anyone wants to follow in my foot steps im happy to be the r&d on this project, someones gota right?

I made a quick (read as 'bad') picture to ilustrate the desired outcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Junk centre gauges.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	9541
    Last edited by Dices; 10-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.

haha I love how you used my pic of my dash for the gauge locations :P I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing... let us know how much the replacement panel is

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    haha I love how you used my pic of my dash for the gauge locations :P I've been thinking about doing the exact same thing... let us know how much the replacement panel is
    Haha, really? i just hit up google search for that hahaha actually i think i can see your fence, matches the one in your sig..funny

So i hit up mazda and they said $323 for the vent assembly.. I think this could be done as long as the gauges I put in are similar size to the prosport gauges, they seem to be quite shallow in mounting depth.

Soooo, i just gave this a go, i cut out some rough templates based on 52mm gauges with aproxx 5mm of the gauge to be protruding at the bottom and about 30mm on the top, this gives the gauges some tilt so as to minimise blocking the display behind them, i thought this to be an acceptable tilt, too far back has unobstructed view of the lcd but could be more difficult to read the gauges.

So this looks good -> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpU00Ka9PM.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	9554

But on closer inspection of the panel, i found a problem, the center gauge install would not only mean one of the panel clips would have to be removed (or reworked) but due to the size of the hazard light switch it would have to be mounted horizontal (without tilt), this obstructs too much of the lcd imo if all three ate mounted the same way and theres no way i would mount only one horizontal and the other 2 with the tilt...

See the hazzard switch and the clip (this is the reverse view of the vent panel) -> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpwHsB5dPM.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	9555

So ive scrapped this idea, it might work with smaller gauges, i saw prosport do 45mm gauges, but 7mm difference dose not offer much relief in the obstruction of the display. If you didnt mind obstructing the lcd or were happy with more tilt i think it would possibly (being a tight fit) work still, but since i want neither of these im moving on.

I think i may also scrap my original other option also in favor of this -> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phpHEopF4PM.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	9556

The 2 gauges on the left mounted on a bracket that uses the vent panel mounting for support.
    Prob use a 60mm gauge for the Boost, dunno yet...

Kinda shattered the center mount wont work, but meh...

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Oh, and 4 gauges would work also, pretty sure 4 52mm gauges would work.

I personally am not that keen on having 4 there.... kinda messes with the 3 theme
    Last edited by Dices; 13-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.

You could always hit up this guy,

I am making and selling 52/60mm VENT_PODS - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

he makes them for Gen 2 now also

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You could always hit up this guy,

I am making and selling 52/60mm VENT_PODS - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

he makes them for Gen 2 now also
    Yep, gr8 minds, was thinking this for the Boost on the right hand side

the vent on the drivers side of our cars is different to the vent on the passenger side of theirs. he cant get the vents to do it for our cars. unless you send him one....

Since I couldn't get a vent pod made for the Gen2, I made one myself, from memory the new vent from Mazda was about $16.00 the rest of the gear cost me more as I had never really worked with fiberglass before and did not have any, here is a link to my post when I made it.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/elect...n-2-3-mps.html

Cheers.
    GENII 2009 MPS LUX

Parting Out