User Tag List

Thread: Newbie Owner of 2011 MPS 3

Default Newbie Owner of 2011 MPS 3

Hi, Just have some newbie questions for you because i would be interested in using your services. How long after buying a brand new MPS could i do some dyno tuning on the car? Is there a specific waiting period? Because i dont know too much about the process, just wondering, will any dyno tuning affect warranty? Each time i get a service done by mazda, will it knock out any valuable information you have put on the car when you dyno tune it? Will mazda know or could tell when they service the car? Would love to get more power out of 2nd gear, would dyno tuning improve that? Might be a silly question but i need to do my homework.

Cheers.
    Johnno.

dont think CT can do gen 2's just yet
    but, to answer questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mps2011 View Post
    Hi, Just have some newbie questions for you because i would be interested in using your services. How long after buying a brand new MPS could i do some dyno tuning on the car?
    In theory, straight away... could drive it out of the parking lot and take it to be tuned immediately
    but, i would let the engine run in first ~5000km's
    Is there a specific waiting period? Because i dont know too much about the process, just wondering, will any dyno tuning affect warranty?
    will probably affect engine warranty, yes
    Each time i get a service done by mazda, will it knock out any valuable information you have put on the car when you dyno tune it?
    depends if CT locks the ECU or not... (need them to answer that)
    Will mazda know or could tell when they service the car?
    yup, they will know, it wont be a mazda tune on the ECU
    Would love to get more power out of 2nd gear, would dyno tuning improve that? Might be a silly question but i need to do my homework.

Cheers.
    Johnno.
    yeah, it will, as they can remove the restictions in 1st/2nd/3rd
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I really want Dyno Tuning so bad BUT iv got your standard 3 years warranty plus another 4 years bonus for signing up as a promotional day mazda had. Would you risk a 7 year warranty for Dyno Tuning?

You could always buy a Hypertech (tune in a box type solution)

It won't be as aggressive a tune compared to an ECU flash, but it will allow you to flash the car back to stock for when you get it serviced

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Sounds like a Hypertech would do exactly what you're after with the flexibility to return to stock when needed (i.e. servicing).

But...I do wonder if when the cars are plugged into the MMDS at Mazda dealers the total number of writes to the ECU is detectable? Anyone out there know?

Mine had a Haltech tune and exhaust and dyno'd before I took delivery of my car......

If you work with the guys at Allstar Tuning you will fine that you shouldn't have any warranty issues with what they do....

haltech (and piggy back ECU's in general) is old technology... personally, i wouldnt suggest that to anyone...
    a complete ECU reflash will likely cause issues with warranty (depends what you're trying to claim really...)
    if you have a stock (or near stock) car, a hypertech will do the job
    the other option is to look at versatune, which TD is looking to trail/test

This is a 2011 model car, Hypertech won't work with that will it?
    ECUTEK custom tune or nothing. Standbacks are for failboats.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    This is a 2011 model car, Hypertech won't work with that will it?
    ECUTEK custom tune or nothing. Standbacks are for failboats.
    Pretty certain the current Hypertech release covers the 2011 models
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 16-09-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

So CT, What are your options for atune on the GenII i would like a custom tune and a stock tune i can load in and for warranty

AllStar Tuning will have a mazda reflash that comes with 3 tunes, 1 of them being the standard stock tune, you would use that before a mazda service then change the tune back after the service. Im still a bit sus though that mazda could still tell you've tampered with the ecu. I have a 7 year warranty, thats why im warey.

I actually spoke to a straight up guy "Off the record" from Mazda servicing & he said they plug into the MMDS everytime theres a service on an MPS and "YES" they can tell when the ECU has been tampered with, even by flashing back to original ECU settings. He also stated that once Mazda would find out, they would most likely blame everything that goes wrong mechanically on the Dyno Tuning. Stuff that! Looks like i'll have to wait for another 4 years 😒

Meh I got my car tuned 6 months after I bought it. You just need to accept that if you bend a rod then you might have to foot the bill for it. For me the extra risk was well worth it. Just weigh up the risks for yourself.