User Tag List

Thread: opticoat vs prima paint protection - or btoh

Default opticoat vs prima paint protection - or btoh

Im lost on which one i should do? Opticoat protection sounds good as sounds like it needs less work..or should i combine both?

Thanks

Opticoat is a professionally applied product. It will provide a longer lasting protection than the Prima paint protection kit, but it does cost significantly more to have done.

There is a DIY version called Opti Coat 2.0, however you still need a fair bit of detailing knowledge/experience to be able to apply it. I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to car detailing

http://www.zas.com.au/product/445/op...ing_towel.html

The Prima paint protection is the easiest to apply and can be done by anyone with a basic knowledge of how to maintain their car. If topped up occasionally with Hydro spray protectant/quick detailer, you'll get around six months from it. I'd recommend this as a starting point unless you want to spend the extra money and have the Opticoat professionally applied

There's no point in doing any of these together. They all do effectively the same thing and the only difference is the length of time it lasts and cost associated.

Hope this helps

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I had the Opticoat professionally done. I think it still looks great, although I'd like a second opinion on how's it's performed after 12 months from an objective detailing nut... Missy? Dan (coming to Brisbane sometime?)

It's great for the lazy detailer. I haven't polished the car... Ever. I don't trust myself with those tools. So if you're like me, go the Opticoat. If you have some talent, the results can be amazing with the self applied paint protection.
    Ask Leelu and Charlie Brown, their cars turned out great.

Definately don't buy Opti-Coat 2.0 unless you are confident you know what you're doing. As Dan mentioned, the Prima kit is perfect for the novice detailer and will give you great results.

Yeldarb - 12 months on your Opti-Coat should still be beading water. This is the easiest way to tell it is still there. Although it won't bead if there is a layer of contamination on the surface which you can often see cleaning the guards etc. It won't bead at all, then you clean and after the dirt is removed it beads again.

The other way to know it's there is the lack of bird poo etchings

ahh ok...well time wise and because of my back injury i may got the opticoat!! do u still wax etc the opticoat or is it not needed?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    ahh ok...well time wise and because of my back injury i may got the opticoat!! do u still wax etc the opticoat or is it not needed?thanks
    You can, but probably not much point. Opticoat is a ceramic based clear coat product which effectively is like having a semi-permanent wax on the car anyway

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    It's not needed, but people still do to get the slickness of the wax/sealant or to try and get a specific "look" a certain wax/sealant might produce.

I can't stress enough though that you shouldn't buy this product without a certain level of previous knowledge/experience. If you have plenty of experience then go for it. If not, or you don't at least have the tools to remove it if things go wrong, make sure you read the warning on the product page!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post

I can't stress enough though that you shouldn't buy this product without a certain level of previous knowledge/experience. If you have plenty of experience then go for it. If not, or you don't at least have the tools to remove it if things go wrong, make sure you read the warning on the product page!
    I think he may be talking about the professionally applied Opti-Coat (OptiGuard) as opposed to the DIY Opticoat 2.0.

If so, then it's a good option to go for

yep will be getting it professionally applied .. will be getting a detail and then this applied...

wax wise..what gives a deep black gloss glassy finish?

thanks

Depends on how much you want to spend really.

Victoria make a nice line of waxes. They're not cheap though (compared to say Prima Banana Gloss for example)

http://www.zas.com.au/product_browse...word&x=41&y=14