User Tag List

Thread: Headlights

Default Headlights

How do you clean the inside of the headlights? Do you have to take it apart?
    My headlights look really dirty and cause them to look dull at night, I cleaned the outside of it and even used a little cut & polish, but it seems that it looks dirty on the inside now...

Especially the globe thing that the xenons shine out off, they are really dull
    Last edited by High on PSI; 30-06-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Unless your headlights have been pulled apart in the past I wouldn't have thought they could get dirty inside. I would be suggesting that it is the outside.

Use a rotary buffer and some fine cut and polish on high speed. I have done this many times when headlights on my cars have started to "yellow" a little. Works a treat. You can buy DIY headlight restoration kits or pay someone to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by shnoy View Post
    Headlights are sealed and headlight won't get dirty but if you think its dirty than you can replace it.
    Absolute last resort IMO. You'd be surprised at what you can restore/recover with the right application of product and technique.

As has been said above, it's more likely the issue is on the outside of the headlight lens (oxidisation)

First step I would try is a claybar and lubricant. This is an easy, cost-effective way to potentially fix the problem. If it's severely oxidised though, a claybar may do very little.

If that doesn't help, you can also try a product such as Meguires Plast X (http://www.zas.com.au/product/271/me...ml_g12310.html)

in conjunction with a foam hand sponge: http://www.zas.com.au/product/119/la...ad_orange.html

If you're still not happy with the result, next step would be a machine polish or a wet sand. Unless you've got prior experience here I'd recommend a visit to a detailer who does, as you have to be very careful with headlights.

Even if a professional detailer charges you $100 to decontaminate the headlights, its still a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new ones.......
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 05-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

after u get them clear, apply plastic protection so they stay that way. Also I'm sure the headlights have a breather hole to allow air flow as the air heats up and cools due to the heat of the bulb. My last car did anyway

Modern halogen and HID (xenon) lamp units are sealed so foreign material can't attach itself to the bulb and cause it to blow (dust, oils etc)

Same reason you never touch the glass on one of these bulbs when you change them. Fingerprint oils will cause the bulb to blow

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I've never touched the glass on the bulb since I burnt the **** out of my hand trying to change it when I was pissed

7. Default

Dan
    What claybar product do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ost View Post
    Dan
    What claybar product do you recommend?
    This is what I use

http://www.zas.com.au/product/317/za...ine_grade.html

And Prima Glide clay lubricant. Can't go past it for its price and what it delivers

Joel (ZAS) also offers discounts for forum members. Check out his sponsor section here on the forums

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now