User Tag List

Thread: Knocking at rolling pace

Default Knocking at rolling pace

I have had this problem for about 3 weeks and it is progressively getting worse. I have a Mazda 3 MPS Luxury (BL)

As I take off or slow down I keeps hearing this knocking sound (just once as I take off or slow down)

I have been trying to replicate it but couldn't every time. Today it seems to be happening all the time. As I take off from braking especially in first

If I accelerate it first gear and then let go of the accelerator and roll in first I hear a constant clunking or knocking

I am going to bring it up with my Dealer, but does anyone have any clues. Sounds like CV joints but happens even when not turning

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

2. Default

Check for a flat spot in your tires or rims.

Well it started before I changed Tyres. Two weeks ago I changed over to Pirelli PZero Rosso and had a full wheel alignment from Mazda

4. Default

as you take off or slow down may be something in the drivetrain as well though - or brakes perhaps?

Try doing a slow take off with the hood up perhaps? (on a long driveway or similar if you can get the sound to replicate at v. low speeds) - pinpointing where the sound is originating from helps immensely.

Wheel nuts/studs
    Bearing nut?

Sounds simple, but I've had them both let go at some stage.

I'm am so confused as to where the sound is coming from but it is driving me nuts

This morning the same sound seems to be coming from the rear. I'm gonna have to get a 2nd opinion before I call my psychotherapist!

all the susgestions above, also check end links and sway bars are all tight.

engine mount maybe.

8. Default

rear of the car - check rear shocks, and drivetrain

I have 43kms on the clock. I just did my 40k service. As this frequency is increasing I will go into my Dealer (Garry & Warren Smith Mazda) and check it out

Will keep you updated. Thanks

Garry & Warren Smith have let me know to drop off my vehicle on Thursday night and are offering me a free loan car for Friday
    I thought that was nice! Not like the sound

I will keep everyone interested apprised of the issue

Jack the car up and rotate the wheels one at a time by hand. That should help you isolate the noise and also give you a chance to check for crook bearings and loose nuts. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Jack the car up and rotate the wheels one at a time by hand. That should help you isolate the noise and also give you a chance to check for crook bearings and loose nuts. Good luck!
    Great idea.. will do this tonight and report back

Currently RaydTuned

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I have found the problem and have posted it here

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10305

Thanks Doug

Sent from TapaTalk

Currently RaydTuned

Hi SLIXX, glad to be of help.

I suspected the possibility of loose nuts and it is more common than one might imagine. You're lucky the wheel didn't part company with the car and cause you to spear off the road at speed. Some service centres and tyre places don't always get them all done up - (read "some mechanics are not all that bright").

However, the check I suggested is a good way if homing in on wheel bearing issues, crook CV joints, rubbing brake pads or even unseen debris such as twigs caught up and rubbing inside a wheel. Seriously loose wheel nuts will give you pretty terrible steering too. A friend of mine was once nearly driven mad by a credit card that had mysteriously got stuck inside the wheel rim/tyre interface and was going "flub, flub, flub" against the suspension arm as the wheel rotated, like those old games we used to play as kids when we used a piece of card against our wheel spokes to make our push bikes sound like they were motorized.

If you can imagine it, it can happen!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18