User Tag List

Thread: My major tuning is now 90% complete

1. Default My major tuning is now 90% complete

I just finished and tested my MPS3. The mods are Sure motorsport intake and rear motor mount, COBB doownpipe, ECUTEK, Quaife LSD, Hotchikins antiroll bar rear and front, powergrid front antiroll bar end link adjuster, Bilstein B6, new OEM spring, Powerflex suspension bushes, lighter flywheel and stage 3 clutch kit.
    Before I had this major mods, I was not happy with handling and engine power delivery. The car understeered like a pig. The engine loses its power after 5000rpm. But the engine response was impressive. My major tuning was the handling but because the most of parts are from UK and US, I had to start from engine tune. After the installation of engine parts and ECU tune, the engine became a beast. I didnt want to pull out max power but want them to leave mid range torque alive. It turned out great. With lighter flywheel, the engine response became sharper and when I want to shift up the rev goes down immediately which is good thing. However the suspension setup was ruined.
    I recived all suspension parts from overseas and finally this monday, I could start to put all them in my car. It took about 2 days to install but the result was incredible. However I had to take out for numbers of test few times for little adjustments.
    The overall result was impressive. I feel that I am using almost 100% of the tyre potential in any conner but I still feel its long wheel base and the hight of the car. It doesnt mean understeer but its more of the response speed when I input more turn at the conner. The understeer is almost completely eliminated and because of new bushes and absorbers, I can get more feed back from all over the car. If I go around the conner with fully power on, the car still shows a little bit of understeer but the diff kicks in to correct power delivery to the wheel. It turns like an evos. EVO points its nose to the right direction under understeer condition. The feeling is quiet similar to that.
    My next mod is to install oil catch can, radiater breather tank. Also I think the car can pull more than 1.2G so I am planning to put cosworth dry sump kits and racing fuel tank and few custom made scavenge tanks.

Thats a very impressive setup mate.

Congrats on plumbing the more difficult attributes of the MPS, in the handling area.

Sounds awesome, so when can you come and dominate a bunch of V8's with me down at Wakefield Park??

4. Default

Thank you guys. I think you guys have gen 2 MPS which has wider wideth so suspension bushes and anti roll bar change can make your car much better. I had to go extreme coz my gen1 has shorter wideth than other rivals such as forcus RS and yours. If your ECU tuned, dont get whiteline, get Hotchikins because I dont think whiteline is not strong enough to deal with the power. You need bigger anti roll bar which is Hotchikins. If you want to change suspesnsion bushes, the front lower wishbone front bush is 12mm bolt not 14mm. I got 14mm because I didnt know but it fitted. I am coming to Wakefield very soon with my friend. I will send a message when I come around. Until them, I will conduct more tests and adjustments for perfect setup and install additional parts as well.

Need pics

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Oh nice nice dude. Good luck with everything. Reedy ill be down for that track day. Just need to install my coilovers and im ready. Just had my semis put on as well.

7. Default

Thanks guys. I am going to wakefield on 2nd or 8th of Sept. I will put my G meter to test exactly how much G I can pull out. But I know for sure that I need to put cosworth 3 stage dry sump because oil is 0W-20 or 5W-20 which is very runny. I have calculated the weight gain which is about 5 Kg more. I will put scavenge tank behind the front kingpin. The fuel tank may have to have collecter tank but if I do it I will have to remove a spare wheel and tools to cancel weight gain. But maybe the fuel tank's buffled plate can take extra G but will see... I dont have a camnera because I dont like taking photos. My MPS is black and looks exactly the same as normal MPS but inside is very different.
    Last edited by 9tmare; 28-08-2011 at 10:25 PM.

pics of the insideeee????????

9. Default

I tried to upload some of the pictures which I have taken by my iphone and few photos of my AISIN gearbox and close ratios but the web doesnt let me upload. I am definatly comming to Wakefield on the 8th of Sept so if you can come I will show you everything but I dont think I can show you all bushes but I will bring some left over samples. The interier of my MPS gen 1 is exactly the same as standard. I didnt put turbo timers or boost guage or oil pressure guages. Beacuse If I be careful enough I dont need to put those things and I have learned the characteristcs of this engine so I dont need to see those things, plus when I drive mountain road really hard, I dont have time to see those things anyway. And most importaly they add weight like wires and harnness. I used plan rally car layout and car setup by using calculators and drawing diagrams for fun back in New Zealand. So I am very picky on weight and balance. I did T160 corona, triumph 2500, and honda accord which was my car when I got my first licence.

Really interesting thread. You should create some new threads to discuss some if the hi-po parts you're using.

Good luck at Wakefield.

11. Default

Thank you very much guys. I will eat banch of V8 for breakfast. If you have any question about those parts or anything that relates to speed, let me know. I will be more than happy to share my knowledge. One more thing. I had ECU chipped and found that I think there is no fuel cut in engine braking which means if you got ECU chipped cooling is not that big issue. The standard coolant with cooling additive is enough. So I didnt have to put radiator breather tank. And if someone can make to Wakefield on the 8th of Sept, you can test drive my car as well.
    Last edited by 9tmare; 30-08-2011 at 08:56 PM.

12. Default

Since I had my car tunesdI was serching the best foot work to gain max grip and finally I found one so the lateral G test has conducted at my secret test track. The car condition was, tyre "Continental sport contact 3" 225/40 R18 30-20% tred left and fuel quantity, half. The track condition was very smooth tarmac and dry. The sharpest conner was 90 degree right handed. elevation was completely flat. I entered the sharpest conner in 80km/h. I noticed that turn in speed became much faster. Since I havent changed my camber angle, when the car is turning at high speed with half the power on, it shows slight understeer and when that happens, the LSD kicks in and gives me more grip, and once the car reachs its limit, the understeer comes back but again LSD corrects it and gives me more grip. I think the limit of this car is not understeer but oversteer. The lateral G meter showed max lateral G 1.98G. I was expecting about max 1.4G or 1.3G but this is very impressive for front wheel drive with air con and radio in it. The seat in this car is really great. it holds my back very well. My next mod is definitely cosworth dry sump and new Good Year Eagle F1.