User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Versatune - new tuning solution for the MPS

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    Well spotted!

A bit of an update on my progress with VersaTune. I was building my own high load tune and then a base high load tune became available in the shared tunes area so I grabbed that and transferred my MAF calibration and the Boost Control Solenoid (Waste Gate) duty cycle settings over to that map.

Went for a drive last night after writing the high load tune to the car, took it easy for 50km so the fuel trims could settle again then put my foot down. Wow! The MPS grin is back Some reputed performance cars weren't happy when a shopping trolley Mazda 3 left them behind either...

There's still more room in this tune, but I'm going 'slowly slowly' with my changes. I keep running out of road when logging so don't get to safely do any log above 3rd gear. Might need to chuck it on a dyno and run in 4-6 gears to finish off the tune, or find a 'private road' somewhere. That could be today's project...does anyone have a spare runway they're not using for a morning?
    What load target did you set mate?

Also tell VT to hurry up with the gen 2 lol
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

I think the high load target in the tune I have in now is in the high 1.9's. I know others are going above 2, but I needed to check fuel pressure, knock, actual load achieved, waste gate duty cycle and highest manifold air pressure first.

Found a private road this morning which enabled me to do a few runs up to 5th gear at 5500rpm or so, have just got home with the logs and will be looking at them now, also sending them to VersaTune so they can look. I know it's boost spiking to 20.5psi, that's a combination of my DP and race pipe doing that, the waste gate duty cycle needs to be adjusted to compensate for this.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Well after a review of the logs, it seems the minimum "maximum" load target it was using was 1.882, and I was hitting that. Just need to find what table that target is in now.

Fuel pressure is borderline for a fuel pump upgrade, it usually stayed around 1500psi but there was a time under WOT where it dipped under 1200psi and hovered around 1300psi, might be a problem in colder weather so I'll add an upgraded pump to the list of goodies I need. The dip under 1200psi is the concern here.

Minor knock retard was present (pulling around ~1 degree timing) when the boost spiked on a couple of runs, but another full throttle run later to the top of 3rd had no knock retard.

Car feels good!
    Last edited by TD; 23-10-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Hi Dan.
    The info that you are providing here is very valuable to all of us who are preparing to move into the VersaTune universe.
    I already have the tactrix unit, but the need for 4 new tyres has put back the purchase of the VT software for a few weeks. However, it's great to see the reports from yourself and kmh001, giving myself and others a heads-up as to what we can expect.
    Thanks,
    Pete.

A 95 octane base tune (regular premium unleaded, as opposed to BP Ultimate, VPower etc which is 98 octane) has just been added to the tunes database for the 3MPS, and on the VT forum Steve mentioned he is cleaning up the 6MPS shared tunes area and has added some new tunes.

TD reads like you've a mass of knowlege re tuning.

Can you reccomend any particular learning resource?? im only just starting to learn about it all.

On topic, looks to have been worth the wait for a great product with exceptional support. Cant wait for GenII availability.

Nowhere near a mass of knowledge! Just reading heaps, data logging heaps and studying how it all works by applying one minor change and seeing the effects in my logging and driving experience. Then seeing the relationship between the various tuning tables and data logged values, working out the next change to make and repeating the process a step at a time.

I'm gathering a fair bit of knowledge from the Cobb forums, Versatune forums, Mazdaspeed forums and reading the Versatune and Cobb documentation. I will usually be chasing an answer to a particular problem or question which I observe in my logs or notice in my driving, then I go off on a tangent from there following interesting threads and making notes to compare to my setup or situation, or making notes of other things to log and check.

Steve from Versatune has also been very helpful in assisting my understanding of how it all works.

Irrespective of any performance gains I will get from tuning the car I've expanded my knowledge by a massive amount since I've had the VersaTuner software in beta testing, and it's been a very rewarding exercise!

Sounds awesome TD

Any more "private road" testing? :P

Yep, and no more WOT testing for me until I upgrade my fuel pump.

I looked at my logs from tonight and felt my heart skip a beat or two when I saw the fuel pressure numbers...the factory fuel pump is in no way up to the requirements of what I'm trying to do. I thought I may have been able to get away with it while the weather is warm but tonight's data proves that not to be the case.

So, the slippery slope of modification continues

yeah, i saw...wow...

if you got issues, im bound to have them too.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post

I'm gathering a fair bit of knowledge from the Cobb forums, Versatune forums, Mazdaspeed forums and reading the Versatune and Cobb documentation.
    Could you do a quick dump for the links of these especially any helpful topics on editing?

There's another topic started by kmh001 called Versatune tips or something, there are some links there.

Or get your Google on

has there been any updates on this topic ? or is it released and we are all tuning lol

My beta version of VersaTune expires this weekend so I'm removing it from the car. I need an upgraded fuel pump before any further tuning work takes place. Unfortunately that kind of stopped me in my tracks.

The possible introduction of the Cobb Accessport into the Australian market muddies the waters somewhat, so I'll be sitting back and watching what happens with that and any keeping an eye on any further improvements or developments to the VersaTune package.

Looks like we could be going from having pretty much zero options to quite a few for custom tuning which Australian MPS owners can do at home, these are exciting times!

----------

Key things the trialling of VersaTune has taught me are:

- Before doing anything, your car has to be in good mechanical condition. Perform a basic health check to see all is OK.
    - Know what your car is doing prior to any tuning, the only way to do this is to datalog. Learn to interpret the data you are seeing.
    - When tuning, make incremental changes, log, review, then change. Repeat this process as many times as you need.
    - Read, read, read! Understand what you're reading. Ask for advice when not sure.
    - Don't change stuff if you don't understand the consequences of what you're doing.

These are pretty basic points but with any of the custom tuning solutions you're only a keystroke away from putting something in your tune which could make your car go zoom zoom boom. Just something to keep in mind

Also... Mazda has crappy fuel pumps lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    has there been any updates on this topic ? or is it released and we are all tuning lol
    I haven't had a chance to do anything with the car for a couple of weeks, so it probably has a flat battery again. But I'll be putting it on the dyno shortly to get the tune sorted. If it works out I might have something to upload for other BNR3 users to tinker with.

Gone to Volvo

18. Default

Hi,

very interesting topic. hope if keeps on going as im looking at options for flashing.

Can i assume that this flash software is only for earlier model mps and not the 2010 model and up??

Sorry about the dump question but do you have to install a chip on the ecu or is this just plug and play software that does not need any chips to be installed and you can data log real time just by using a cable and software?

cheers
    Jimmy

Assume reading so far , very informative. I finally got around to taking a fuel pressure reading with my dashhawk starting in 3rd gear at about 3,000rpm.

I thought that if i could post it up here and get some peoples thoughts on it and the tune? It got a bit 'funky' at about 4,000rpm but not sure if that was myself backing out of the throttle i'll be doing more of these to see if it occurs again.

Any thoughts on what's wrong with mid section? It still feels as good as ever, but i've installed a FMIC since the last tune...

I don't run a Versatune im running a HP-F Custom Tune.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel Pressure Run 1 3rd.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	10259  
    MPSX-treme

2006 MPS Sports True Red - HP-F Mazedit tune + Other go fast bits - DGR Coilovers + Semi Slicks - Numerous Sure Motorsport Additions - Dashhawk

You need an upgraded fuel pump

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast