User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Versatune - new tuning solution for the MPS

Just came back from a spin, the base tune is pretty damn good. So is the data logging.
    Last edited by TD; 09-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.

hmm i might be quite interested in this.

Sounds good, so the base tune is basically a Stage 1 map that Versatune thinks is good and reliable for an unmodified Aussie MPS?

4. Default

Definitely interested in where this is going

I had some emails overnight from the guys, one of which pointing out I do actually have the edit capability in this beta. Grabbed some screenshots this morning illustrating the basic user interface windows which I'll describe in this post, before a morning of driving around running some logs so I can come home and start looking at what tweaks can be made to suit my car, fuel and the local climate.

A couple of notes:
    - The base tune I'm running is a tune suited to 98 octane fuel (i.e. BP Ultimate, Shell VPower, Caltex Vortex etc) for stock or near stock vehicles. A modded airbox or CAI/SRI is OK, but it requires you to be running the factory DP. I asked about the DP as I have a Corksport DP going on the car next weekend, Steve mentioned that the aftermarket DP's make the turbo spool quicker and may cause boost spikes and fuel cut on the base tune, but that this is worse in cold climates. A revised tune will be done to allow for the Corksport DP so I can safely continue to test.

- One for you Mal (kmh001). The smooth shift/stutter removal works brilliantly. I noticed it straight away (within two gear shifts!) and asked Steve if the tune had it in by default as there is a menu item in the tune flash process to turn it off or on. Turns out it was, he's enabled the on/off option now on that tune, I'll test the difference and let you know.

Onto the screen shots...

The opening screen - note the licensing details (I've blanked some details out) and options for installing VersaTune to your car and also returning the car to stock

The tunes interface. Here you can search for tunes matching your vehicle configuration (both VersaTune base tunes and other tunes which users will populate the tunes database with). You can search via numerous options such as intake (I've dropped that menu down so you can have a look), downpipe, exhaust system etc

The "Dashboard" which is where the data logging is. There are various default logging templates setup, you can modify these and also construct your own templates for anything specific you are looking at.

Another view of the Dashboard with a logging template visible.

A data log view of a session I did yesterday, each parameter can be switched off or on and have the colour changed so you can isolate what you're looking for. Max and min values are also noted so you can quickly identify any issues.

The "Tune Editor" window, showing the parameter groups on the left. Each of these expand open with numerous parameters which can be edited.

An example of a parameter table which can be edited, note the description which tells you what it does and affects. 3D views of each table are also available.

The DTC (CEL) codes window. Here you can check for CEL's and clear them, and also turn off certain CEL codes if your setup will always throw a particular code.

So that's about it! If anyone has specific questions please let me know and I'll do my best to find out and answer for you.
    Last edited by TD; 09-10-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    I had some emails overnight from the guys, one of which pointing out I do actually have the edit capability in this beta. Grabbed some screenshots this morning illustrating the basic user interface windows which I'll describe in this post, before a morning of driving around running some logs so I can come home and start looking at what tweaks can be made to suit my car, fuel and the local climate.

A couple of notes:
    - The base tune I'm running is a tune suited to 98 octane fuel (i.e. BP Ultimate, Shell VPower, Caltex Vortex etc) for stock or near stock vehicles. A modded airbox or CAI/SRI is OK, but it requires you to be running the factory DP. I asked about the DP as I have a Corksport DP going on the car next weekend, Steve mentioned that the aftermarket DP's make the turbo spool quicker and may cause the boost spikes and fuel cut on the base tune, but that this is worse in cold climates. A revised tune will be done to allow for the Corksport DP so I can safely continue to test.

- One for you Mal (kmh001). The smooth shift/stutter removal works brilliantly. I noticed it straight away (within two gear shifts!) and asked Steve if the tune had it in by default as there is a menu item in the tune flash process to turn it off or on. Turns out it was, he's enabled the on/off option now on that tune, I'll test the difference and let you know.

Onto the screen shots...

An example of a parameter table which can be edited, note the description which tells you what it does and affects. 3D views of each table are also available.

So that's about it! If anyone has specific questions please let me know and I'll do my best to find out and answer for you.
    Thanks dan
    looks good... the tuning looks a bit complicated tho although, guessing the main parameters we would need would be boost/fuel?
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 09-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Very interesting Dan

Though

NEED GEN II!!!!

Look very beneficial mate, once someone spends alot of time running that software i'm sure big gains could be had.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Thanks dan
    looks good... the tuning looks a bit complicated tho although, guessing the main parameters we would need would be boost/fuel?
    It can be as simple or as complex as you like.

Base tunes will be available, if they work well with your car and you have no need to change anything, then you can leave them as is and drive around quite happily.

If you really want to explore and tweak every single part of the tune you can do that too. Or if one of the base tunes would work better with a simple tweak you can just do that.

Other alternatives would be to take it to your local tuner and get them to tune it using the VersaTuner software, or get an e-tune, where you get assistance from someone on the VersaTune forums or elsewhere to help you tune your car remotely based on what is visible in datalogs etc.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Look very beneficial mate, once someone spends alot of time running that software i'm sure big gains could be had.
    Yep, looking at it I reckon even Luke's recalcitrant monster could be tuned with it!

Can anyone tell me what limits this has over the Accessport that the USA guys use?
    Can either do anything the other can not? (besides supporting different cars)

Quote Originally Posted by cletusb View Post
    Can anyone tell me what limits this has over the Accessport that the USA guys use?
    Can either do anything the other can not? (besides supporting different cars)
    For us it's simple. This works with non-US market cars, AP doesn't. The limit is with the Cobb AP in this case, not VersaTune.

The basic concept is broadly similar however.

-----

To follow up, I think Cobb missed a massive opportunity in not making the Mazdaspeed AP range compatible with non-US cars. I have no doubt plenty of us would be running the AP now if it was available.

If the VersaTune guys are happy to work with us to fill the gap in our market I'm very happy to support them.
    Last edited by TD; 09-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Top stuff Dan, now they just need to get Gen 2 support happening, and it will be the best thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by LittleredMPS View Post
    Top stuff Dan, now they just need to get Gen 2 support happening, and it will be the best thing since sliced bread
    Oh I don't know...sliced bread is pretty awesome!

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

A screen grab showing the option to turn "smooth shifting" on and also setup launch control and flat shifting.

Launch control eh?

Is there a dash button combo to enable it like most cars that have it standard? How does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Launch control eh?

Is there a dash button combo to enable it like most cars that have it standard? How does it work?

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    No idea, I'll find out. I don't fancy testing this one out personally

This looks great, I'm Definately considering this...
    One guy in the uk has it so far and says it's great, they are very helpfull too!
    Thanks for posting pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevstewart View Post
    This looks great, I'm Definately considering this...
    One guy in the uk has it so far and says it's great, they are very helpfull too!
    Thanks for posting pics
    No probs Kev. I think there's some more info on the UK MPSOC forum, that's how I first found out about it.

I'd buy this just to eliminate the stutter. But I'll also be able to tune to suit the BNR3 and have launch control and FFS. I think sliced bread is about to be de-throned. I've already upgraded the hardware so I can't wait to upload this tune and give my neck muscles a workout.

The stutter removal works brilliantly Mal, it's damn good.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast