User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilstein B8 & Eibach Pro Kit

Default Bilstein B8 & Eibach Pro Kit

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find any posts on this combination so I thought I'd post up.

I recently had Bilstein B8 shocks installed all around complemented with Eibach pro-kit springs all round on my MPS3.

If anyone is keen for a handling upgrade without a ridiculous drop in ride height this is the way to go I believe.

Dropped about 1.5-2 inches after settling front and rear.

Cheers

Dicky

Sounds like a great setup, and more feedback in regards to ride comfort & handling compared with the stock setup?

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Sounds like a great setup, and more feedback in regards to ride comfort & handling compared with the stock setup?
    + 1 on that Dicky, also is your suspension otherwise stock or have you already upgraded anything , sway bars etc?
    -----------------------------------------
    Cheers Kypros . . . . D.O.T.B. USN

Okay, everyday driving comfort hasn't suffered much like a lot of coilover setups are prone to. I drive open roads to work so irritating levels of NVH and ride discomfort put me off completely first and foremost, which is why I chose this setup.

My Mazda service department will probably be the first to acknowledge that the factory damping rates are absolute crap for the actual potential the car inherently has. I used to have a JZA Supra with Bilstein monotube struts up front and dampers in the rear, so this upgrade was just a natural progression for me.

In terms of ride height, I chose Eibach pro-kit because it wouldn't drop it so low it would actually sap the performance out of the handling and cause rubbing issues. Plus, Eibach's ride beautifully and settle in quickly being cold wound and all.

On the handling side of things when things get spirited, it's difficult to put in words, but trust me, THIS IS HOW the car should be. Good ride quality and ride height, you can actually trump the accelerator well before the apex and not get massive levels of torque induced understeer but more of a controlled and predictable change in momentum, and in the event you hesitate through a corner the car won't bite back and induce sharp kickbacks leading to the hairy wafting wobbles that this car comes with standard.

It's also to some degree sorted the wheel hopping issues but the CPE engine mount really fixed that. The most impressive thing about WOT driving is where normally if you happen to hit a sharp bump in the road you get that weird Mazda hopping slingshot effect, the suspension sorts it out VERY quickly (REAL damping rates) and lets you controllably power on.

Ultimately, if you are making your car a track car you should go for coilovers of some description, but this upgrade is enough for spirited street driving, occasional track use, and if anything you know you're riding on some of the best suspension components around that were specifically designed for the car.

The suspension's otherwise stock, but front / rear sways and lower arm braces are next for handling and that should do me.
    MPS 3 (SP) Black Mica | MazdaSpeed CAI | COBB STS | TWM Desert Eagle | Bilstein B8 | Eibach Pro-Kit | CPE REM | HKS SSQV ...

5. Default

Nah, prefer TEIN superstreets myself.

I can dial in 1 of 12 settings - from hard or soft rides - as I see fit prior to a run. You can also get the electronic EDFC kit which will give you 3 ultimate presets.

Depends what you need it for, and yes adjustability is a wonderful thing, but you have to remember that coilover ride isn't for everybody, nor is it completely necessary for 90%road use. But then again, who cares aye? Just stick with what you know and trust I considered TEIN's myself, but for my frequent natio fangs, coilovers would be suicide.

Thanks for the info Dicky, mind me asking how much the B8's set you back?

I bought the Bilsteins and Eibach's from Heasman's in Sydney, the Bilstein distributor in Australia.

I got both front / rear B8's and front / rear Eibach pro-kits for $1900. I think the B8's were just above $1100 on their own. If you're interested just speak to Tony at Heasman's and just mention that you were referred to him by another MPS3 owner whose girlfriend came and picked them up a couple of months ago. He'll look after you well ... and if you do choose to purchase, you get some nice Bilstein vinyls, a couple of official Bilstein hats and a nice lanyard
    MPS 3 (SP) Black Mica | MazdaSpeed CAI | COBB STS | TWM Desert Eagle | Bilstein B8 | Eibach Pro-Kit | CPE REM | HKS SSQV ...

9. Default

..... And the lanyard was for his girlfriend

Hehe, I ain't lettin' her get any o' dat! She did insist that she take one of the hats though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dicky View Post
    I bought the Bilsteins and Eibach's from Heasman's in Sydney, the Bilstein distributor in Australia.

I got both front / rear B8's and front / rear Eibach pro-kits for $1900. I think the B8's were just above $1100 on their own. If you're interested just speak to Tony at Heasman's and just mention that you were referred to him by another MPS3 owner whose girlfriend came and picked them up a couple of months ago. He'll look after you well ... and if you do choose to purchase, you get some nice Bilstein vinyls, a couple of official Bilstein hats and a nice lanyard
    Thanks, so that price is parts only yeah?

Cheers

Karl

Yeah parts only. Tony said that they would install the whole lot for $350 but I ended up getting it done at my dealership ...

Blog Entries

This is a good idea for a different way of doing things.

People will either do springs only or full coil overs. It is really good to see another alternative

I still love the coilovers for the fact that you can adjust them to whatever you need at the time and if your going as far as doing some of the other mods your doing coilovers isn't much of a step up haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dicky View Post
    Yeah parts only. Tony said that they would install the whole lot for $350 but I ended up getting it done at my dealership ...
    Cool, you must have a VERY understanding dealership!

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    This is a good idea for a different way of doing things.

People will either do springs only or full coil overs. It is really good to see another alternative

I still love the coilovers for the fact that you can adjust them to whatever you need at the time and if your going as far as doing some of the other mods your doing coilovers isn't much of a step up haha
    You're probably right, but the Bilsteins just ride beautifully. A mate of mine has done the same thing on his MY05 Liberty GT with front/rear sways and front/rear lower arm braces and it doesn't ride much harder than it did just with the shocks and springs .. albeit with MUCH LESS bodyroll and AWD understeer

This setup is just my two cents and I think it's pretty good. Plus you also have the option with Bilsteins to get them revalved to suit your needs at a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by kblume View Post
    Cool, you must have a VERY understanding dealership!
    Mate, this is the second Mazda I've bought from this dealership and they are a fantastic bunch of people.

16. Default handling Qs ????

hi all i am a newb to MPS ownership. I love a car that handles as well as goes
    and eventually want to upgrade the suspension. I Drive Macquarie pass a twisty mountain pass on a regular basis and did so for the first time in my 3 Mps have to say was a bit dissapointed with the stock handling.

I like to get as much info / feedback on coilovers vs spring damper combo advantages / disadvantages
    i understand these are only one part of the handling equation as there is alignments, +ive caster , strut braces, sway bars. better bushes
    I want something that is going to maintain some acceptable ride comfort and NVH levels but provide exceptional road holding for very spirited street driving 90 % of the time
    i have tried whiteline springs kits , KYBS etc (not impressed in my previous car FWD laser TX3 ) changed to KONI reds KMac Custom rate springs adjustable strut tops with as much positive caster possible all nolthane bushes ride was firm but still comfortble was going to get custom valving in Koni reds for firmer compression rebound was set at max

Im thinking bilstein dampers with custom valving from heasmans

so what are spring rates on stock vs eibach pro kits vs Coilover ?
    what is ride quality like with coilovers ? road handling over potted roads
    un even bumps midcorner i like the ride quality of my MPS

i want to make an informed decision once instead of spending money on trying different setups all the time been there done that

thanks

17. Default Spring rates ?

Does anyone know what the spring rates on EIbachs, H& R springs are etc and how they compare to stock MPS springs
    I want to improve ride handling but not compromise the comfort factor by a huge deal

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

oh and is it possible to get more positive caster into the MPS or does in come with adequate OR is thaere any benefit to increasing caster in this car

Not sure of the specs, I have a set of eibachs and the ride is fine, noticeable but definitely livable or passable for stock (no where near as bad as my old dumped SSS on kings) :P

19. Question

Thanks Jmac

so your'e saying there is a noticeable diffference in ride firmness but it is still close to stock ride comfort
    Does anyone know how much of a rate increase H&R / Eibachs are up from stock springs ?
    is it possible to get more positive caster into the MPS or does in come with adequate OR is there any benefit to increasing caster in this car ????

wheel alignments ??? how much -ve camber if any to improve road holding without any uneven tyre wear

cheers

Hey mate,

Yeah, they are noticeably worse, but definitely one of the best rides i have had for springs only.

The main reason I changed was I was changing lanes and going around a bend when I had to suddenly brake once, and the car lent so much I though screw it.

The Eibachs are a great compromise, noticeable drop but not enough to draw the men in blue, much less roll and better at changing direction while not being unbearable.

That said I prob do need endlinks for the rear as they are wearing unevenly, and ECS (east coast suspensions) where I had it done mentioned this, the ride would improve with aftermarket shocks etc too im sure but at the moment im happy.

Griz, if your in Syd i would be happy to show you.

*edit* if you are not, and are from the gong or further south (noticed you drive mac pass) check out the cruise section (or my sig).
    We are heading that way next weekend - PM me if you like.
    Last edited by Jmac; 25-05-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast