User Tag List

Thread: Guard Rolling Adventures- Not All Are Equal…

Blog Entries

Default Guard Rolling Adventures- Not All Are Equal…

Being new to modding cars I thought guard rolling was just that- rolling your guards. I have now learnt that not all guards rolling is created equal….

To Roll or Not to Roll- Why?
    I fitted a nice set of rims to my car, however with every corner, or large bump in the road my tyres would rub- and when I say rub, I am talking about taking strips of rubber off the tyre where the tread meets the sidewall…and the sound was most unpleasant.

Like this...

Next Step…the Roll!
    So, realising I could no long take the pain of the Rub, I decided to get the rear guards rolled…$120 for both rear guard is around the average price you will pay…so off I went looking forward to having my rubbing problem resolved.
    Picked the car up and immediately could feel the improvement going out of the driveway- finally my old car was back…well for a little while anyway…

Like this...a gentle roll only on the top of the lip...(For the blondes out there...pic taken looking up- you can see the start of the door handle...lol)

Maybe Now So Much…
    I drove down some of the roads that would cause the tires to rub, most no longer encountered any rubbing, but unfortunately some bumps still did- and as for spirited driving around corners (what I love best), that was still out of the question as the Rub continued to represent everything EVIL on my life…yes EVIL…

Mods You Do Not Want…
    Where the tire rubs on my guard lip, it has pushed the lip out…sad

This is where the guard was not rolled.

Like this...

Moving Forward…
    That’s to amv8aston having this same very problem with is new shoes, and getting some pics so I can understand the difference, there is hope for my car yet to avoid the RUB…

There is actually different types of rolls- for example mine was curved and only the top of the guard- the rest was left normal- and this is where the tyre is rubbing- on the un-rolled bit. This appears to be the simplest form of rolling. The more advanced form of rolling completely flattens the lip along the complete wheel arch- this sounds just like what I need to resolve my Rubbing problem.

Like this pic stolen from amv8aston...

On Monday the car is booked in for the advanced roll (actually cheaper price then my original roll!) and I will post pics of the results- which will hopefully stop this most annoying problem with my car…

Question You should Ask When Getting Your Car Rolled...

1. Do you flatten the Lip or roll it?
    2. Do you do the complete Wheel arch or only the top?
    3. Can I have sex with your sheep...oops..sorry wrong forum...

Feedback most welcome if I have anything wrong or need to add more information...

cheers,
    Peter

Blog Entries

This was interesting till the sheep cropped up!!!

Hope you get it sorted...

Blog Entries

lol...I originally had much worse but thought I better tone it down as I did not want to be the first person banned from this site!

have you booked nelson from sydney guard rolling shins? you will not be disappointed if you have. Not had a problem since he did mine, even with a full car !! Hope all goes well

Blog Entries

Yep booked him for Monday

Blog Entries

I have now had my rear guard lips flatten by Nelson- what a nice bloke and he did such a fantastic job- If anyone in Sydney needs their guards rolled he is the man to see- 0432 109 331.

Oh yeah- No more rub...even room for more rubber me thinks when due- 245's here I come...maybe...

This photo is the bit that was damaged in one of the above photo's...

Last edited by shinslinger66; 17-11-2008 at 03:45 PM.

told ya Nelson was our man

Blog Entries

Yes totally agree...I can now drive it like I want to around corners- somewhat spirited!

Thanks heaps for the contact- you can not believe how this has made my day/week/month/year!