User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel spin

Default Wheel spin

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people have the same thing happen to them. When I accelerate hard in 1st and 2nd gear, my passenger front wheel spins and the other one doesn't. So basically I don't really go anywhere. Is this normal? I have a 2006 MPS3.

Check your tyre tread, might give you somewhat of an explanation.

They are the same tread pattern all round with 90% meat left. Im running 235/35r19.

tyre pressures the same?

36psi all round. I don't dump the clutch. Im rolling when I WOT

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

sometimes I try 38psi

are you saying that one wheel is loosing traction? or that your effectivally loosing the power to one of the front wheels ... as in its one wheel drive at WOT??

I only have this on well worn tyres. Dont forget the front left tyre wears faster than the others on a front wheel drive. If you don't have directional tryes, try rotating the front left to the right rear and see if it makes a difference.

should jus get a mps 6

Are you turning a corner at the time? If not try turning around and coming back the other way on the same road and doing it. It could be a road surface thing, more dirt and gravel on the outside of the lane etc. You need to make sure the road surface is perfectly even before you can really draw any conclusions.

The front diff in the MPS is not a proper LSD and tends to spin its inside wheel a lot under power coming out of corners. It also tends to snatch suddenly and
    The drivetrain isn't symmetrical so that could explain why one wheen is letting go easier than the other.

A solution that worked for me: Buy a set of Neova's. Second gear wheelspin will be massively reduced. Torque steer goes up tho.
    Last edited by Reedy; 22-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Yes. One wheel looses traction. Like a normal FWD car without LSD

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I see. My tyres are still pretty good and they are directional. But I rotated them from front to rear, but the results are pretty much still the same.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I am going straight, say from a set of lights. mmm.... I think the road surface is pretty good. Its quite flat but does have abit of a gradiant to it. No dirt or gravel. 3 lanes n gutter on both sides. Im in middle lane. I've tried it on other roads as well with same results. Torque steer is not really appearant either under acceleration. Just wondering if there is something wrong with the LSD? Are the Neova's expensive tyres?

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Thanks for the replies guys, It's a big help. Keep up the good work

Perhaps an obvious question.... Do you have the traction control turned on?

TC will only reel in wheelspin, it won't stop it from breaking traction in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddo View Post
    I am going straight, say from a set of lights. mmm.... I think the road surface is pretty good. Its quite flat but does have abit of a gradiant to it. No dirt or gravel. 3 lanes n gutter on both sides. Im in middle lane. I've tried it on other roads as well with same results. Torque steer is not really appearant either under acceleration. Just wondering if there is something wrong with the LSD? Are the Neova's expensive tyres?
    i get the same issue on the road as you, it's to do with the gradient in the road
    at the drag strip i would either spin both tyres or neither...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    TC will only reel in wheelspin, it won't stop it from breaking traction in the first place.
    Naturally, but if he's spinning one wheel and "going nowhere" TC isnt working.

Ahhh yes, that largely depends whether or not the OP is speaking in metaphors or he is actually lighting his front left up and not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Ahhh yes, that largely depends whether or not the OP is speaking in metaphors or he is actually lighting his front left up and not moving.
    Yeah exactly. My GEn 1 will do the same thing when old tyres are combined with wet road. If its happening in the dry... I can only assume his tyres are sh1te. Perhaps he just needs lighter shoes

ive noticed in my gen 1 if the tyres are up to high i spin the weels to easy and if its lower i get the better grip. but if could also be crappy tyres.

I normally have it turned off. But if I have it turned on, I still get wheel spin but not as bad.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

oh ok.... Not too sure how good my tyres are cause they came with my car when I got it

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

I see... maybe that could be it or maybe the driver lol... Well if I ever go on a cruise with you guys, I'll let you have a drive of my car and see what you think.

19. Default

Big question is what rubber you're running. There's a huge difference between the blocks of wood that my parents call tires and the Potenza RE-001's that I put on my vehicle.

hehehe.. Gotta love the parents! Im running Yokahama Advan sports. Not too sure how good they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast