User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to get tyres cheap in Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    I just received a quote back from Option 1 for the KU36's - will be $223 + $15 per tyre fitted & balanced.
    I got my KU36's from Option1 back in March. $232 a corner fitted. Happy with the price, but don't let them near your rims with a rattle gun, all my rims were chipped and 1 rim was scratched around the edge.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone by Leetapatalk =P
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    option 1 want 270 each for ku31's
    horityres 260 for the same

nu2 165 each
    John, I got quotes for KU31's from Option1 also and they told me to go for the KU36's as they get performance tyres a lot cheaper.

---
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by MPSBNE View Post
    Option 1 seem good value, just checked out their website and really easy to navigate with pricing for their products. Don't mean to hijack the tread but can anyone confirm the KU36 235/40/18's fit the GenII?
    I got the KU36's in a 235/40/18's on my Gen 2 stock rims and they have been fine. Had my wheel allignment done with Nick at Fulcrum Browns Plains as they are aware of the inside wear issue on the Gen 2 (thanks Troy ). Have now done 5,000km on them and no sign of uneven wear yet.

Learned my lesson with the stock tyres after only getting 19,000km out of them and I now check my tyre pressure every time I fill up. Am running 40 in the front and 38 in the rear ( thanks Jeev ).

Hope that's helped

---
    Last edited by Leelu; 21-08-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks for the info Leelu

An interesting side note on cheap tyres. I have spent a bit of time looking at tyres over the last week.

St George Tyres and some other firms (possibly Tempe) sell parallel imports. I got the tip from a local tyre shop. My local shop was happy for me to buy the tyres from St George, but suggested I be aware of 2 things before I buy:

1) The local supplier will not support a warranty claim for a paralell import, but I did contact St George and they warranty the tyres themselves for 12 months. As I live in Brisbane, I am not willing to send a tyre back to Sydney for a warranty claim so this was a big deal.
    2) Some tyres offered through these channels can be very old stock. Tyres do have a used by date (sort of) as the tyres dry out (I think??). I checked with St George on some tyres I was interested in and they were made in 2008! They are over 3 years old.

Personally I am still happy for companies who offer these tyres for sale, as long as the customer is aware of the risk to warranty and age.
    Red '05 6MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin740 View Post
    An interesting side note on cheap tyres. I have spent a bit of time looking at tyres over the last week.

St George Tyres and some other firms (possibly Tempe) sell parallel imports. I got the tip from a local tyre shop. My local shop was happy for me to buy the tyres from St George, but suggested I be aware of 2 things before I buy:

1) The local supplier will not support a warranty claim for a paralell import, but I did contact St George and they warranty the tyres themselves for 12 months. As I live in Brisbane, I am not willing to send a tyre back to Sydney for a warranty claim so this was a big deal.
    2) Some tyres offered through these channels can be very old stock. Tyres do have a used by date (sort of) as the tyres dry out (I think??). I checked with St George on some tyres I was interested in and they were made in 2008! They are over 3 years old.

Personally I am still happy for companies who offer these tyres for sale, as long as the customer is aware of the risk to warranty and age.
    I am gonna clear this up quickly...

1. This is scare tactic so the local suppliers sell their product. When Paul from option one started 1st selling Kumho at 50% cheaper than any other tyre shop. These rumours came out. Don't fall into this trap to pay full price at them, when others are happy to sell them discounted.

2. Yes this is true. But it goes for any tyre shop anywhere in the world. they all have old stock, and hence why it is sold off cheaper. Every retailer, (not just tyre shops) sell off old stock at discounted prices.

My 1st KU31s I purchased in 2005 were $305ea from JaxQuikfit. In early 2009 I puchase the same tyre for $155ea from Option 1 Garage. Now recently have brought the same again for $150ea from Tempetyres 2 weeks ago. And the manufacturing date was 0811. So built on 8th week of 2011. So now we are in the 39th week of 2011. So it makes them 31ish weeks old.

The old tyres which are still on the car as I type this post, which I purchased in 2009 have a build date of 4108. So they weren't too old when I got them in November 2008. They would've been still hot when chucked into the container bound for aussie shores.

I also use KU36s as my track tyres on a seperate set of rims. Brought them from Option 1 Garage for $150 when RRP was $190ish. I'm still alive and they tyres are still going strong.

---

Re- Warrenty. 100% correct. The retialer that sells you the tyre is the one that offers the warrenty. As most people have their tyres supplied and fitted at the same place, this never is an issue.

But they way I see it, I have never had to have a warrenty claim for any tyres I have purchused in the past 12 years (any tyre in fact in my life), So the warrenty issue is a non issue/event for me.

Has anyone actually had a tyre warrenty issue? And I don't mean hitting potholes or trying tp jump gutters.
    Last edited by projectrracing; 24-08-2011 at 08:50 AM.

7. Default

I went with kumho ku36from option 1 garage and they are brilliant for the price. they have held up too, 1 track day and 20,000km and only just need to be replaced

so what i can gather kumho ku36 tyres are very good wearing, grippy and quiet tyres?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by esp22 View Post
    so what i can gather kumho ku36 tyres are very good wearing, grippy and quiet tyres?

Thanks
    Grippy, yes, not very quiet though, wear is relative to how much you take advantage of the extra grip.
    Cheap tyre for the performance though.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

grippy, they hum like worn wheel bearings, and you'll get 20-25,000km from them.

eBay has a tyre sale on. 235/40/18 kumho ku36 tyres for $200 each free postage to nearly everywhere. They are located in Sydney. No idea about tyres but thought I would share.

Item number 180715964234

Sent from somewhere in this big wide world....

Here's the breakdown on the DOT tyre manufacture and date codes. Tyres made before 2000 use 3 numbers and tyres made since 2000 have 4 numbers. If your tyre does not have this style of code it is either non-DOT approved or too old in which case it is unsafe to use.

The tyre shown here will be a Kumho KU31 Ectsa SPT. DOT H2WP YC9J 0811

DOT = Tyre meets DOT safety standard.
    H2 = DOT's tyre plant code
    WP = Tyre size code
    YC9J = Manufacturer symbol identifying tire brand
    0811 = Week and year tyre was made - 08th week of the year 2011

For a list of tyre manufacturer's locations:-
    Tire Codes JB-N0

For the record, the tyre above was purchased from Tempe Tyres (which many have parrallel imports warnings all over them from conspiracy theorists), or (old tyres warnings etc). But as you can see, they are built in Korea and are only 32 weeks old.

My Kumho KU36s have a manufacture plant code of Y0 = Korea.

Hope you find this useful...

I thought I might add to this after some recent research.

www.actiontyres.com.au
    Southport QLD.
    Tyre options:- 235/40R18": - Michelin Pilot Sport 3 $329ea (1 days notice) (Good quality & good mileage)
    - Michelin Pilot Sport 2 $610ea (1 days notice) (Ultimate in ride quality & very good in the wet, good mileage)
    - Goodyear Eagle F1 2 $315ea (1 weeks notice) (Good quality & good mileage)
    - Yokohama Advan Sport $379ea (instock) (Ultimate in ride quality & very good in the wet, good mileage)
    - Yokohama A-Drive R1 $269ea (instock) (Good quality & good mileage)
    - Pirelli Pzero Nero $254ea (instock) (Ultimate in performance & very good in the wet, good mileage)

A laser 4 wheel alignment is recommended - $55.00 (with tyre purchase).

yeerongpilly@jaxquickfit.com.au

Michelin PS3 $305.00
    Goodyear Eagle F1 $305.00
    Michelin super sport is not available in that size - ???

bjmacgregor@tmarts.com.au

THE GOODYEAR EAGLE $379.
    MICH PS3 $305.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Thanks Brad , just purchased today the PZero Nero from above for $254.00 inc fitting and balance . Yahoo ..Locals on Sunshine coast wanted $345.00 ea and $450.00 ea
    Tire rack USA $159.00 US ea Plus 325.00 freight (4) . Then got to get fitted .
    Action tyres good deal.YA.

Nice, hope they looked after you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Thanks Brad , just purchased today the PZero Nero from above for $254.00 inc fitting and balance . Yahoo ..Locals on Sunshine coast wanted $345.00 ea and $450.00 ea
    Tire rack USA $159.00 US ea Plus 325.00 freight (4) . Then got to get fitted.
    Action tyres good deal.YA.
    Huge difference in prices, you sure they weren't quoting for PZeros and not PZNeros? The top PZeros would be worth $200 more since the are designed as a sport tyre, and the Neros are backwards designed to become a better street tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    Huge difference in prices, you sure they weren't quoting for PZeros and not PZNeros? The top PZeros would be worth $200 more since the are designed as a sport tyre, and the Neros are backwards designed to become a better street tyre.
    Have been long term customer at both Local suppliers , previous purchased PZero Nero so they understood request. Largest supplier first quoted $500.00ea until i shouted ,then got owner who recognized me and then altered price to $345.00 ea (Lost all my business now ) Greedy pricks!!!!.
    In order of dearest Retail price (1) P Zero rosso, (2) P Zero nero (3) P Zero.

Action tyres ,cost me a quick drive to Southport ,approx $40.00 in Fuel, gave the car a good run, and saved minimum of $91.00 per tyre ($364.00) in total. Great

Manufacture date 11th month 2011 Build plant Romania.
    Last edited by Oldhead; 17-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

That's quite fresh rubber. Feel the difference?

So Rossos are slightly better than Neros?
    I was trying to get someone to do a similar price on Neros down here (Sydney) but have got the Rossos for $275 each.
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That's quite fresh rubber. Feel the difference?
    Good heads up Brad!!! Had wheel alignment done by the guy who does the Porsche Cup cars , did some slight adjustments ,but really need adjustable camber arms . Over 2 deg camber at rear.
    Nero,s feel better than Oem Dunlops and the nero,s are way quieter . Looks like im ordering Megane Racing forged adj arms now.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ash460 View Post
    So Rossos are slightly better than Neros?
    I was trying to get someone to do a similar price on Neros down here (Sydney) but have got the Rossos for $275 each.
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
    Rosso,s are softer compound . dont expect great mileage from them. Rosso,s rated at from memory 120 tread wear nero,s rated at 200. race tyres vary from 40 to 80 ,but dont quote me .
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast