User Tag List

Thread: gearbox clunk

1. Default gearbox clunk

hi guys,

just recently got my gearbox oil changed to castrol vmx 80 and am happy with the results and the smoothness of the gears.

One thing has been bothering me though, is that after every shift(1-2/2-3/3-4/-4-5/sometimes5-6) there is a clunk noise, it doesnt sound right. I know its not the gearbox oil because it was hapening before i changed the gearbox oil, its only now seemingly starting to get louder, it doesnt sound good.

Does anyone know what this could be? Is it an easy problem for my mechanic to diagnose and fix?

Would be good to know what that clunk is.

My guess is its the REM. Since everyone thats changed the REM has had cleaner shifts and no complaints of clunks.

I haven't changed the REM yet since i'm afraid of the vibes

I think I know what u r referring to. I do sometimes get the clunk even though I alr changed my rem. It usually happened to me when I'm letting go the clutch n accelerate. It is quite annoying though.. I haven't found a solution yet.. Mazda said it's normal.. Which I don think so...

Ok, so its not the REM then.

That can only mean its clutch/gearbox related........ that can't be good...

Any abnormal noise IMO is just a sign of things to come

Oh well, i've got extended warranty. Just make sure their aware of the clunk i guess.

Its almost like slack somewhere. My gen 2 has done 20k now and it seems to do this at low speeds between gears. CPE mount has been on for 15k. 60 Duro.

Pretty standard in an mps lol. If you have replaced the rem then it's prob normal.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ra2o View Post
    I think I know what u r referring to. I do sometimes get the clunk even though I alr changed my rem. It usually happened to me when I'm letting go the clutch n accelerate. It is quite annoying though.. I haven't found a solution yet.. Mazda said it's normal.. Which I don think so...
    Ive changed my REM too, to 60 duro CPE. I noticed it got louder after the change, it was quieter on the original mount. Could this be an issue with the CPE mounts? Or is it just making an existing problem sound louder?

It doesnt happen all the time, when i drive normally it happens maybe 15% of the time, but when im giving it a bit it happens around 65% of the time. Doesnt sound good when at all, sounds like their is something wrong.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Pretty standard in an mps lol. If you have replaced the rem then it's prob normal.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So is it something with the car, the cpe mount or a combination of both? Sounds to me like the latter.

I used to have this clunk. I have installed a 2XS SSP, 2XS shifter Bushing and a 75duro CPE rear engine mount and now have no clunk.
    This is what shifts should have been like from stock.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WispRush View Post
    I used to have this clunk. I have installed a 2XS SSP, 2XS shifter Bushing and a 75duro CPE rear engine mount and now have no clunk.
    This is what shifts should have been like from stock.
    Funny cos i have a 60 duro, ssp and still have this problem. Maybe i just have a dodgy gearbox. I never liked it from the start, it would rub on the sides 50% of the time from 1-2 and sometimes although rarely from 2-3. the ssp has helped with that prob but now the clunk noise is louder.

Maybe it's got to do with the way you shift gears..? I know I get the same this when I take my foot completely off the accelerator then put the clutch in... As opposed to simultaneously doing it...

11. Default

yeah the ssp leaves very little room for error, even when i do perfect shifts it still makes that sound.

Old thread but i have this same problem, Mazda Tech looked at it today and he said he couldn't hear it. It's obvious enough that about 10 other ppl have heard it. My car is only 2 months old and it makes me wanna drive it into a ditch and get another car.
    Looks like we have to live with the clunk as it's supposedly normal for our car.

my gen1 has certainly always done it. Changing the REM didn't have any impact on the sound what so ever. I always put it down to the dual mass flywheel engaging / disengaging...

14. Default

it could be the control arm bushes wearing out. ive got the same noise atm. ill be changing all bushes soon to nolathene (however you spell it).
    so you might want to check those bushes mate. hope this helps.
    note : im still on the stock REM which is - so far - good.

im getting some sort of click when the cluch engages and begins to take off ... film the noise and put it up!