User Tag List

Thread: Headlight unit is blown?

Default Headlight unit is blown?

Well I was on the JDM cruise tonight. One of the best turn ups I've seen.
    Anyway I noticed my driver side light started flickering as if it was struggling to stay on so I quickly turned my lights off and back on, it stayed off while passenger side was working fine.

When we got to our first destination I checked to see if it was lose, nope.
    Checked to see the the bulb looked blown, nope.
    I then put the bulb on the passenger side and it worked, so my bulb isn't blown.

I have a Mazda 6 MPS Luxury that comes with factory HID lights. The bulbs were switched to 6000k D2S Bulbs. Any idea what's broken and how much it would set me back?

Sounds like ballast is blown, can be a cheap fix if you go with generic, or abit more if you go OEM...

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if buying a kit of ebay will be an easy install? Just replace it where the OEM one goes etc?

Just got quoted a ballast has to be shipped over from Melbourne to Perth, and it costs..................
    $1,100

No way I'm paying that much to get a headlight working

i had water damage in my lights... $2300 for the complete repair .. thank god it was under warranty. On my old mazda sp25 i had MUsecret ballasts' cause they were smaller then the rest but you should ask the site sponsors, i'm sure they could help you out

Wow I didn't think these things would be this expensive!
    Maybe I'm better off buying a quality HID kit for a few hundred?
    Do you know if I need to buy a kit that still maintains the same bulb type?

Quote Originally Posted by High on PSI View Post
    Wow I didn't think these things would be this expensive!
    Maybe I'm better off buying a quality HID kit for a few hundred?
    Do you know if I need to buy a kit that still maintains the same bulb type?

ye man just get a ebay kit that has D2S bulbs and splice it in

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

alternatively - buy a second hand headlight, they should have the OEM ballast screwed into the bottom of the unit.

Splice it in? I thought I can just unplug the factory ballast thats blown, unscrew it from the headlight. Screw on the aftermarket ballast, and connect a plug into the ballast? I am bad at this wiring and splicing stuff..

get troy's hid kit 89 bucks .. change both balists and ur sweet under 100 and its fixed. i would just be concerned why it blew thou.

Splice it in? I thought I can just unplug the factory ballast thats blown, unscrew it from the headlight. Screw on the aftermarket ballast, and connect a plug into the ballast? I am bad at this wiring and splicing stuff..
    the ballast doesn't have "plug ins", you need to splice it.

Oh no... splicing is like what was done with the tail lights right?

Oh no... splicing is like what was done with the tail lights right?
    Correct

Well FML lol

Just a heads up for everyone, a OEM ballast for the Mazda 6 is $100 - $200 on ebay brand new or second hand.
    Mazda dealers clearly trying to rip me off. Lol