User Tag List

Thread: Turbo or Supercharge a normal mazda6 luxury sport

Default Turbo or Supercharge a normal mazda6 luxury sport

hi guys,
    my uncle is looking to put forced induction on his '07 mazda6 luxury sport. which is better a supercharger or turbo? plz no "buy an mps" comments as he hates the look of the sedan =)
    cheers,
    chris

Buy an MPS...engine!

Talk to Troy?
    Wasn't there a crazy turbo sp23 on here? That might be a starting point.
    So it's a wagon is it? That would be kind of cool.
    Good luck to him

---
    - Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

Quote Originally Posted by Ice429 View Post
    hi guys,
    my uncle is looking to put forced induction on his '07 mazda6 luxury sport. which is better a supercharger or turbo? plz no "buy an mps" comments as he hates the look of the sedan =)
    cheers,
    chris
    Which is better for what? You can't just say one is better than another without knowing the judging criteria.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

The luxury sport pretty much looks like a sedan anyway! I've owned both. Unless he wants the practicality of the hatch.
    He won't get traction if he juices her up though. I used to spin my wheels off the line all the time in my Luxury, got annoying quick!
    Not sure which is better, probably turbo is cheaper?

Buy a 2nd mani and bnr turbo or good k04, fmic/DP from troy, tune = a lot cheaper than any other option.. just remember with a standard 6 engine wont produce masive power without upgrading internals. 180kw atw would be my max i would be looking for..

Supercharged would be nice for just driving around town at low rpm.
    Turbo is good for mid-high range power.
    So really its probably more depending on what he wants exactly out of the car.

If he can't decide, there is always twin charging

Buy a smashed MPS and steal the driveline out of it... with a FMIC instead of a TMIC it should all squeeze nicely into the stock bodywork...

[EDIT] Supercharger will give FULL boost at idle, only tapering off at higher RPMs if the supercharger is not big enough. Also a supercharger will take more power from the engine to run than a turbo does, but has no lag... [/EDIT]

Cheers,

Chris.
    Last edited by Victa; 16-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    Which is better for what? You can't just say one is better than another without knowing the judging criteria.
    criteria is as follows = HSV + FPV killer. he is looking at spending near 8-10k to do so.
    Its not the wagon, its the hatch
    would an SR20 or RB20 fit under a Mazda6 bonnet?

Are you's doing the work? 8-10k can get u a lot if you's do the work! if your paying someone else to do it 8-10 would be only a basic rebuild..

You may be able to buy a smashed up MPS6 for aboutthat money change the parts over and bingo. While your changing it all over replace the Rods,standard piston will hold 300kwatw

Other wise you will end up spending a lot more upgrading everything to take the extra power and get it to the ground.

SR20s and RB20s are longitudinal engines and designed for RWD. You'd spend a lot of money engineering it to go.

$8 - $10k wouldn't get you far if you're taking engine swap unfortunately, unless, like Luke says, you're going to be doing 99% of the labour yourself

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

SR20 from a U13 bluebird or RNN14 Pulsars GTIR are both transverse so will technically fit, but its a completely unrealistic option.

The supercharger kit we fitted to my brothers v6 Commodore cost $7k
    That included, the blower, belts, injectors, pulleys, intecooler, ECU chip. And had to it it ourselves.
    Good results, the thing was a missile after, but honestly, wouldn't do it again, turned into more trouble than it was worth, but that was mainly due to poor customer service when an ECU problem came about.

As has been said, I think the best option would be to fit a 2nd hand MPS motor, but it would be worth doing a rebuild first if the motor has a few km on it.
    I don't think you can get what you want for the budget.
    I doubt a stock motor will handle the power. And then you will still have things like brakes, gearbox, diff.
    Without a MPS diff I imagine traction would be shockingly bad.

Everyone I know who has done that sort of job to a car has either given up half way through, or sold the car quickly after.

My advice would be, got over the sedan hatred and buy an MPS.

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Everyone I know who has done that sort of job to a car has either given up half way through, or sold the car quickly after.

My advice would be, got over the sedan hatred and buy an MPS.
    +1 and +1

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Ok so we have decided on a wrecked MPS3 and putting that engine and drivetrain in that should work yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice429 View Post
    Ok so we have decided on a wrecked MPS3 and putting that engine and drivetrain in that should work yeah?
    Yes, the best and cheapest option is what you have decided upon.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

You could... go with an RB26 / VR38