User Tag List

Thread: Help with Ball Joints MPS6

Default Help with Ball Joints MPS6

Not likely I'll get much response as I never see anyone talking about it but my front left ball joint is failing as I experience a "click" sound when I turn, go over bumps or the weight shifts around.

1. Has anyone had any ball joint related issues?
    2. Has anyone modified/replaced their ball joints?

So far I've inquired at Mazda for a new LHS upper control arm. The price has gone up since they last quoted and its around $400+ (not fitted) I've heard good and bad from SPC ball joints so if anyone has any info that would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1273072851-spc-balljoint.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	9379

Once I get it sorted I'll be posting pics and info to this thread and edit the title in case anyone has a similar issue and requires the same info I'm currently chasing.

Cheers

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Are you 100% sure its a ball joint issue?
    Normally you'll notice free play in it before any noise.

If you don't already know, jack the car up and grab the wheel at top and bottom and rock the wheel, if you have movement you have a problem.
    This is why I hate some states rego laws, if you get an inspection done once a year, issues will be most likely found and then sorted before it becomes a dangerous problem.

Oh, I'm not entirely sure, but on a 6, I think you should jack the car up under the lower control arm to check it.

Not 100% but I've turned the wheel left and right and had dad place his hand over the ball joint as it "clicks" can feel a vibration come from the ball joint so my guess was the ball joint.

This weekend I'll rock the wheel, I did do it a while ago and there didn't appear to be movement but I'll need to do it again.

Mate this is not a decision to be made on price. Assuming a defective ball joint is confirmed, a new OEM control arm is the only reliable and safe way to go.

I've read about far too many SPC failures. They are visibly less robust than the OEM part and it seems to be a question of when, not if they'll fail. And when they do you'll need new control arms anyway. A member on this forum had this experience (BCMPS I think).

It's not pretty when a wheel falls off as a result of ball joint failure. It's a false economy to go cheap on safety critical components.

Gone to Volvo

That's why I was looking to replace them. Just a pair off ebay (not SPC) for $40. For the cheap price I thought I would see them in the flesh.

A control arm is at least a month away from Japan. If not happy with these I'll have to get OEM control arm.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Just for info. I had both ball joints replaced yesterday. Turns out both were rooted and just flapped around rather than being a stiff joint.
    Apparently its a common replacement part. Note pic shown is not mine, just a google image search result but mine were similar. So far so good and no clicking noises or anything

i have the SPC units, no probs as off yet with them and i drive pretty hard.
    As long as you torque them up properly @ 120ft/lb (with the thread and nut oiled) so proper torque is achieved. Also check every couple weeks that its still tight and torqued, The only thing i didn't like about them was the ride height increase - bout an inch in the front

I have the SPC units also, no issue so far that i notice got them installed when i did my coils

How long ago did you purchase them? I'm wondering if the manufacturer has improved the design to make them more reliable than the earlier units.

earlier this year cant remember the exact time maybe march/april