User Tag List

Thread: Gen 1 Air filter mods ? hole in air box ?

Default Gen 1 Air filter mods ? hole in air box ?

saw this link for mods to Gen 1 air filter box. http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/dyno-...html#post99929

Just wondering if its safe ? and i presume you need to put a mesh filter or housing of some kind rather than leaving a massive hole in the side of the air box. I Have a standard K and N filter in air box now. Anyone have any ideas about this litle project ? or has anyone done this before ??? any help greatly appreciated.....Cheers

It is a gimmick. Don't do it.
    It'll still only draw hot air from within the engine bay.
    If that is all that is required to gain (alledged) 20Kw @ wheels, don't you think Mazda would have done it from the factory.

you're better off putting a better hi-flow filter in

well gee ive done it lol. seems better to me i feel a bit more power down low but maybe im dreaming lol oh well ive done it so im stuck with it now i guess

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

OK now ive done this silly mistake and i hear ya its drawing in hot air from Engine bay BUT !!! lol i'll make a way of drawing cold air down behind headlight area I WILL SUCCEED not that anyone cares but i'll post pics when im done..... thanks for the feedback guys and 2XS i'll get back to you when i can afford the DP im still keen......Cheers

I wouldn't say its a gimmick. It does free up the intake, how is this any different from a SRI? i would imagine they didn't do it from factory due to noise, you can hear the turbo spool a lot more doing this. you don't need a mesh as the filter is still there. its a worthy free mod

also from factory there is an air intake if u look at the passenger side of the bumper next to the fog light. they've done well in design in this regard. I would go a little further to funnel the air to the stock airbox and blocking some of the holes if you're really concerned about hot air getting sucked in.

Cheers LUP15..... I saw the SEMI Air intake area your talking about . I was thinking of running a Snorkel ( flexable hose ) set up from the air box down that intake area ? . Now that ive already drilled the side of the air box out lol. Ive worked out you can run it all the way to the front grill area as you described pretty easy. So you got me thinking again lol, and once doing that its pure CAI straight into the air box ?......Cheers mate im with you, ill give it a go when i get home next week and put some pics up.....thanks mate

If you can duct the cold air directly to the box, it will be worthwhile.

Cold air = good
    Hot air = bad

Fact is though, doing it as a "cold" air intake will do SFA no matter how you do it.
    It's been proven that the intake temps don't vary a whole lot between the 3 main intake types (airbox, SRI, CAI)
    And the difference in temps do SFA to power, definitely not enough to really notice.

The only difference is in how hot the temps get when idling, and how quickly they get back to "normal"
    I think that the only benefit you will see with this mod is the minute or two it takes to get the intake temps back down, after then there should be no noticeable difference.
    Last edited by bd581; 18-08-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Lol, I'm currently waiting for my SURE Motorsports SRI to come, so I just decided to mess around with the stock air box. It's a ridiculously silly thing to do I know, but I was sososososoooooooo bored

http://i54.tinypic.com/aoun2o.jpg
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2mfm0yg.jpg

All I hear is air sucking in through the filter now, no turbo whistling. The stock plumb back valve or by-pass valve is noticeable now. But I don't feel anything difference in regards to throttle response and power to the wheels.
    I only heard a tiny bit of turbo whistling after I installed my HTP Turbo Inlet Pipe.

Cheers bd581 i'll still try and get cold air into it anyway ive got the gear so no harm done. Like 2XS says id rather have cold air than hot air and DAMN High On PSI lol bit hard to tell what your doing there lol glad you got new gear coming hehe..... anyways when i get home from work next thursday i'll make it my little project to get the cold air in there properly and see what happens...... thanks again people