User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MPS 3 Race car.

Have to remember mate, most of us daily drive our cars.

You are probably one of the very few members who uses an mps as an out and out race beast.

Also alot of mod suggestions we could give you for more power would probably not be allowable in your class of racing.

Touch wood with the failure situation only Front hub has failed on this car,but it only has 9000klms on it from new??

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    You're doing, frankly, what many of us here would love to do of we had the time and money

There's a lot of great info on this site as you've no doubt already worked out, and good people too. We're a pretty supportive community and it's things like this that really grab our attention

No doubt you'll be able to provide lots of insight into your successes and failures with the race car (hopefully many more of the former than the latter ).

Cheers,

Dan

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

My Daily is a Falcon FG company car and its depressing when you know you have a beast in the garage.If I drove this daily I probably wouldnt have a job as the temptation to drive it how it should be driven would be there and the law doesn't allow it

This car is made from smokes and piss money.As I am not interested in either I spend it on another habit Racing!
    Cheers

Ditch the intercepters and get a flash tune.

Drive it as a daily (weekly atleast) You know you have the power, just don't use it against Hondas etc. Use it sparingly and you will get satisfaction from knowing you can drive your racecar as a daily.

If you can post up the regs for your racing class (what's allowable/what's not in terms of modification) we might be able to help you out further

---

Pics or BAN

Is it the same one as your Facebook profile pic?

Everyone here will be able to tell you what can give the car more power but the regulations in your class may restrict a lot of them. Either way, if you currently have a standback then a proper flash tune should also be legal.

The main issue here is everyone on this forum has their MPS as a road car and very few of us take them to the track. There's a disconnect between the mods that people do and whether or not they actually make the car go faster. My belief is a lot of them (particularly suspension jobs) actually make the car worse. We as a community really lack proper data on a lot of things.

Want more power tho? This is your place.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Everyone here will be able to tell you what can give the car more power but the regulations in your class may restrict a lot of them. Either way, if you currently have a standback then a proper flash tune should also be legal.

The main issue here is everyone on this forum has their MPS as a road car and very few of us take them to the track. There's a disconnect between the mods that people do and whether or not they actually make the car go faster. My belief is a lot of them (particularly suspension jobs) actually make the car worse. We as a community really lack the proper data on it.
    only exception i've heard to that is koni FSD's...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post

The main issue here is everyone on this forum has their MPS as a road car and very few of us take them to the track. There's a disconnect between the mods that people do and whether or not they actually make the car go faster. My belief is a lot of them (particularly suspension jobs) actually make the car worse. We as a community really lack proper data on a lot of things.

Want more power tho? This is your place.
    But there are some of us who have modded the suspension and haven't seen the need to input the improvements to the wider community.
    I know I tried a few things, but I fail to tell many people of the outcomes because nobody wants/needs to hear/listen.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Pics or BAN

Is it the same one as your Facebook profile pic?
    I put photo's on my Profile here.There are plenty on my facebook.
    Later on i will put some more photos on of the car.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Here is regs for IRACE series http://downloads.irace.net.au/ProductionRegs.pdf

Cams regs are slightly different but all are similar.

cheers

Ooohh I love technical specifications!

........... Why all the funny looks?! I'm an engineer god damn it!

The problem with these regs is the categories are calculated based off power to weight ratios. So if more power puts you up a category then you could be at a disadvantage. It all depends on who you want to compete against I guess.

3.6.8 Exhaust.
    3.6.8.1 The original exhaust manifold(s) must be retained.
    3.6.8.2 The remainder of the exhaust system (downstream of the manifold, or
    downstream of the turbocharger turbine outlet) is free, subject to maximum noise
    regulations stipulated by iRace National Competition Rules
    Translation: Dump Pipe and Cat Back are Legal. Get a Catless racepipe.

3.6.10 Forced Induction. In the case of a supercharged or turbocharged vehicle, the system
    must remain wholly unmodified, and the boost pressure must be no greater than the
    maximum specified by the manufacturer
    Boooo!

3.8.5 Differential. The action of the differential(s) is free
    That explains why you have a quaife, it's unrestricted lol.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-08-2011 at 08:36 PM.

already have the down pipe done and exhaust,Flash tune at the moment.just looking for little tricks or gains??? At least you are on the ball!keep them coming.
    what about the fuel pump anyone had issues with that?I will log fuel pressure and oil pressure soon.

Fuel pump is a thing that the american community will tell you is mandatory, all we can say is over here we have seen almost no evidence to back up their claims. They will tell you to get a fuel pump if all you have is a DP installed, most of us see that as completely unnecessary unless you are going with a big turbo build.

That said, if anyones fuel pump is going to fail, it will be yours. A better fuel pump wont make your car go faster but it might help with reliability.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-08-2011 at 08:53 PM.

What sort of DP do you have? Twin? Single?

Can you move the strut tops? More castor?

CDFP isn't necessary either (as Reedy said)

Turn the inlet to the airbox upside down, then connect a cold air feed (corrugated tubing) from the front of the car directly to the airbox feed.

Yea definitely do something about the airbox if you haven't already. The stock air filter is weak as hell and Troy's suggestion of a cold air feed could help, albeit only a little.

Urethane suspension bushings and adjustable shocks/spring rates with camber adjustment are a no brainer. The regs say nothing about Caster adjustment. As long as you can adjust those things it's really up to the driver and team to experiment and find a balance that they like.
    Last edited by Reedy; 15-08-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    What sort of DP do you have? Twin? Single?

Can you move the strut tops? More castor?

CDFP isn't necessary either (as Reedy said)

Turn the inlet to the airbox upside down, then connect a cold air feed (corrugated tubing) from the front of the car directly to the airbox feed.
    I have castor in the strut tops,All the suspension is Murray Coote so its good but I drive to a different set up to the last owner, I like a edgy car not stable ie a little rear tow out.
    the down pipe was custom made single pipe i think, no Cat.
    I will look into the airbox scenario sounds like some sound advice there

Also don't forget simple things like ensuring the MAF sensor is clean. This will aid power delivery and cut down on throttle hesitation

I'm also assuming the flash tune removed the boost limiters in 1st and 2nd?

---

Forgetting the most important modification of all......
    An ozMPSclub sticker.

Mods, send him stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    Forgetting the most important modification of all......
    An ozMPSclub sticker.

Mods, send him stickers!
    This ^

Adds 20kw
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by dareya View Post
    I have castor in the strut tops,All the suspension is Murray Coote so its good but I drive to a different set up to the last owner, I like a edgy car not stable ie a little rear tow out.
    Awesome thread!! The castor tops, I
    presume there was nothing to cut? Are you getting good adjustment?
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Quote Originally Posted by dareya View Post
    When i put Troys rear toe adjusters in i was playing with the toe. i ended up with a little toe out, i put heaps in at first!! man it brought a smile to my face good fun when u turn in but not good on the road to twitchy. (still loved it tho would def do it on the track)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast