User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoddy job by smash repairer

Default Shoddy job by smash repairer

Those of you who came on the last evening cruise would have seen the dent in my rear left quarter panel. Well it's been fixed...and I am not happy.

I'm not out to name and shame (yet), but once it's resolved to my satisfaction, might drop a hint as to who the repairer is (I don't think the forum rules allows me to do so anyway).

Picked it up yesterday morning, no staff other than the receptionist was there (all out to lunch), so I went to the car myself. It was parked in a tight bay, so I could not take a close look at the repair work, though I did find dusty foot prints in the foot well. Driving home, I noticed a fine film of dust over the whole interior - getting a bit annoyed now, also saw in the mirror, I noticed smoke from my exhaust at idle.

Finally get home and take a good look and I was shocked. The smoking exhaust is because my once stainless steel tips are now colour coded to match the body - as is my tow bar.

Alarm does not work, and have since discovered my immobiliser does not work - why would they even play around this this? (I know they would have disconnected the battery for safety reasons, but that should not affect the alarm).

Front number plate cover has lots of over spray - nothing was painted at the front of the car. I suspect they swapped them around as the front plate is low and not as noticeable.

Runs in paint along bottom of fuel flap and around tail light.

Poor finish where the paint meets the original paint inside the door sill and along the C pillar - has a powder like texture.

Bumper clearly was not removed to be painted going by the body coloured exhaust tips and tow bar (Be interesting to see if they quoted removal/refit of bumper in the quote to the insurance).

Seam around the inside of the fuel flap has gaps.

Rear quarter window has been removed and refitted - a few mm out of alignment as seen in one of the pics below.

Small parts of trim have been left on and masked over when painting - you can see a fine line of original paint and dirt - even the mudflaps were left on when spraying the bumper.

Over spray on door seals and trim.

Loose trim in boot and missing clips (I replaced all these myself with new OEM clips a few months back).

Speaker cabling dangling out in the boot (I left one cable out - CD stacker)

Also noticed a few dirty finger prints in the paint work on the bumper and a small fingerprint of white paint on my steering wheel.

I called the assessor of SGIO (who originally inspected my car) yesterday - went to a a voicemail to say he was on holiday and will be returning on the 9th (it was the 10th when I called). Called SGIO on their 1300 number, explained the situation and they called the Assessment centre but could not get hold of anyone, so an email was sent to a 'senior manager' there. this was around 1pm yesterday.

Come 10:30am today - no call, so I called the assessor again and got through to him, after a bit on umming and arring, they told me they could not locate the email that was sent to the 'senior manager' and there was a drop in communication. Got a call back from the receptionist 30mins later and booked in a time this Monday afternoon for a "quality" inspection.

I think the damage on my car looked better than the repairs. I've left the boot in the state it was left in, but got fed up driving with a dusty interior, so cleaned it up this evening. The rest of the car has been left dirty all over and I will be leaving that way for the SGIO guys to see. I'm going to push for them to send it to another repairer of my choice.

Clearly the repairer does not care. Probably assumed that I don't care as it's an old car and I am a young person and the job got hand balled to some scummy apprentice. It was dropped off to them freshly detailed too, the only detail the put into it was some silicone crap on the tyres - which has now splashed over almost every panel of the car.

Dust all through the boot, speaker cabling hanging out (one cable is for the CD stacker)

Overspray on door seals, mx6.com sticker partially peeled off (no biggie, but could have taken more care)

Top corner of rear quarter window - just a little gap - imagine the water that can pool up behind it.

Small plastic trim was just masked off when the panel was painted - very slack, makes me wonder if the panel was even prepped properly. Actually, looking closer, there are specs of paint that have chipped away already.

is this?

Orange peel on parts of bumper

Clear protective stickers on the inside of the bumper painted right over (rubber bump stops from the boot sit on those stickers when the boot is closed.

A bit wonky. Even the rear quarter panel is not straight.

How the panel fitment should be on the other side of the car.
    [/QUOTE]

And another pic of the horrid work

I've also noted lots of imperfections in the bumper which have not been cleaned up - just painted over.

That's awful Dave. It's probably worse than having an accident because you're at the end of the repair process instead of the beginning. I hope they didn't fill the dent with 15kg of bog.

This looks like a genuine reason for naming and shaming.

Looking at the inside of the panel through the access flap for the rear washer bottle - they have pushed it out, but some bog filler has been used for imperfections obviously. I scraped some chunks of it off my wheel.

Oh gosh.... It makes me nervous picking up mine tomorrow from the smash repairs...

I had a car of mine resprayed the entire length of the left hand side, for a scratch in the front and rear doors.

They never removed anything, door handles, side skirts. nothing.

I had overspray under the door handles and the side skirts were actually painted TO the body.

6. Default

omg that looks shocking, can understand why you would be annoyed, Id be furious ... thats disgraceful workmanship

Fark! That's disgraceful

I agree, definitely a name and shame situation

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

pretty sure you can name and shame, or at least point out the location of their workshop...
    i would be pissed off...

As a panel beater it dissapoints me that companies like that still exist giving the industry such a bad name.

What really annoys me is when they do thing rough that's usually slower than doing it correctly.

Overspray happens, but there is no excuse for not cleaning it up, its not hard.
    Not knowing the damage, but it would probably have been quicker to pull the parts off rather than masking them up, definitely quicker now they have a lot of cleaning and fixing to do
    The alarm - well if its an aftermarket alarm, I've had a lot play up while in the shop, no idea why.

Just keep hasseling the insurance company and the shop, and then department of fair trading.
    If they deem it bad enough they can take the car to another shop, get it fixed and send them the bill

Just realised the smash repairer does not have a website...

Depending what my experience is like from the 2nd round of repairs....I might register the domain name along the lines of the repairer's name.

.com.au domains are cheap and hosting I can get for practically nothing through work.

I could either have a redirect to a forum thread (I have posted this on other car forums), or make a site myself showcasing the poor quality work.

Any legalities to this?

Defimation???
    Not sure really.

12. Default

Not happy. Jan. Hope you get some satisfaction dmwill.

Adrian

That really is a piss poor effort.

Work of that woeful standard definitely allows for a naming and shaming mate, if only to stop others ever using them.

I wont say good luck, because I somehow doubt you will have any trouble getting satisfaction once the insurer sees how bad this was repaired.

I believe you can name and shame on a forum, but going out and registering a defamatory domain name, or stealing theirs, can be trouble.

I know of instances (in the usa) of people registering web site names like "____isa___.com" insert name and insult of choice, which has caused them to be sued for defamation... Imagine when a potential employer searches for this person

Definitely defamation

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain mate.

I've had my fair share of dodgy tradespeople damage my Gen 2 and it sucks big time. I'm surprised some of these companies get repeat business to stay in business!!!

That sucks and is not good enough... name and shame away!

I got some scratches on my front bar recently, luckily i was fortunate enough that i got a good repairer, but i have had bad experiences with other cars in the past, so i feel your pain!

SGIO assessment guy was a little shocked at the work done.

He did explain that being an old car, there can be the slightest margin where panel fitment cannot be perfect which is understandable (The bumper tapers in a bit on the left compared to the right for example. I'll have a go at aligning the bumper myself later on if I have to - it's just a soft metal bracket behind). But the runs in the paint, the rough finish, overspray etc will certainly be attended to.

He will be calling the repairer and I should be getting a call from them by Friday.

At least SGIO have seen the state of the car now - so I can give it a clean. It feels like an indigenous fella's car right now, complete with the lovely scent of paint inside.

I got the alarm/immobiliser working myself on the weekend - careless person must have kicked the wiring harness under the steering column as it was dislodged from the alarm controller.
    Last edited by dmwill; 15-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.

At least it sounds like you're on the right track now

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Geez - good luck mate. Sounds (and looks) like a bloody nightmare !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast