User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocks for 2007 MPS 3

Default Shocks for 2007 MPS 3

Hi guys,

I reckon my factory shocks are knackered and I'm hoping to replace with some that are'nt so violent/harsh over bumps but still handle well - the roads in SA are shite to say the least.

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Im getting the bilstein b8 installed in the coming weeks along with eibach prokit springs. I shall let you know how they go. but it also depends what you want to do with the car that will determine what you should get

From what I have read, Koni FSDS are pretty decent.

I may be looking for the impossible but I just want it to be less harsh but still handle just as good (or better??) than the standard shocks.

I find the front end gets loose within a month of each service, and the shocks appear stuffed because it feels like i hit bump stops over every speed hump. I'm also hoping that the 45 series Yokohama Advan's that I've ordered help make it a little smoother than the proxes 4 40 series tyres.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    Im getting the bilstein b8 installed in the coming weeks along with eibach prokit springs. I shall let you know how they go. but it also depends what you want to do with the car that will determine what you should get
    Both those names have a good rep so will be interesting to see how it goes!

Anything is better than std.
    I've seen the std shocks leak as early as 20,000Kms.
    I have a customers set of std shocks with 180,000Kms on them that are empty (no oil)

Mine feel like they have no oil lol..I'm hanging to get new ones but I want to be sure before I take the leap!

If you want far improved ride with less harshness, and better handling, and all you are doing is changing shocks, and not lowering, get Koni FSD. I love mine.
    If you plan on lowering, get bilstein B8 and eibach springs.

I think either of those setups are perfect for daily driven cars with the occasional spirited drive

^^ Hearing good things about Koni too. Any idea where I could source the best price in SA?

Or else I'm happy to import or ship over and get fitted by my mechanic if the price is right..

thanks again guys!

9. Default

My preference would be the Eibach/Bilstein combo if you were lowering too, however info from Koni's distributors in Australia indicates that if you specify the right part number, you can also run the FSD with lowered springs (like the Eibach) too.

If you are just doing shocks, make them the Koni FSD. If you can sneak Eibach springs into the deal too, either the Bilstein B8, the Koni FSD or the Koni Sport would be streets ahead of standard.

Adrian

What advantage is had by changing the springs too?

Is there anything wrong with the factory springs?

changing springs will lower the car, generally improve handling but at the cost of ride quality.
    a decent quality shock will work wonders with the stock springs.

Really i would only change springs if you want to lower the car.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    How much are these setting you back? I'm just about to do all 4 shocks. Was looking at the Koni FSD, but would consider B8's if the price was right

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 3 MPS fan View Post
    ^^ Hearing good things about Koni too. Any idea where I could source the best price in SA?

Or else I'm happy to import or ship over and get fitted by my mechanic if the price is right..

thanks again guys!
    Hey mate sounds like we are in the same boat. I'm looking at replacing my shocks. Best price I've found so far for the Koni FSD is $1050 from GSL RallySport, The Motor Sport Revolution!.
    Just make sure you get the right part, a lot of suppliers have been telling me the wrong part number as they have been referring to an old version of the catalogue. The correct part number for the the 06/07 MPS 3 is 2100-4045

Dont know what the Pedders stuff is like but it seems they are doing MPS stuff now... (Gen I ONLY)
    Im not sure what brand their rear shocks are , but i rang them & was quoted $91.50.
    It looks like they have a couple of front shock options though.

Quote Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
    Dont know what the Pedders stuff is like but it seems they are doing MPS stuff now... (Gen I ONLY)
    Im not sure what brand their rear shocks are , but i rang them & was quoted $91.50.
    It looks like they have a couple of front shock options though.
    Really? I spoke to them yesterday and was told that they didn't have shocks for the MPS.

Have to be careful, the first time I spoke to Pedders they tried telling me that the Standard 3 and MPS has the same shocks and they could fit the Pedders shocks that suit the standard 3.

After speaking with a lot of places about new shocks for my car it is VERY clear that most people have no idea when it comes to the MPS. I guess it would make sense as they aren't very common.

I'm selling my old ones if you're interested as far as I know there are no leaks and my car has now done 38xxxkms

Though I would save up for coilovers if I were you, if you buy it from JustJap they'll do a custom spring rate so you could ask for 6/4 if you think the ride is to harsh, I went with 8/6

I mean no disrespect matto, but I'd throw your old shocks in the bin. I know I did. Drive a MPS on decent shocks and you'll wonder what Mazda were thinking. They must have got a really good deal on the shocks they use. You will have to be insane to consider putting factory shocks in, especially considering the about of work involved.

I can't stress enough how much of a gain in every respect you will get by adding quality shocks.
    Unlike adjustable Coilovers (to use the correct term) there are no real downside.
    Tyres and shocks are the 2 most important aspects to handling.

My Yokies left the states today so it's tyres first and then make a decision between the koni and bilstein...will prob be koni tho as I reckon Bilstein are too harsh on a mate's Liberty GTB.

I'm stickin with standard springs but will prob add the whiteline rear sway bar for less body roll...car looks low enough on the road, escpecially with the low body kits on these things. I must be getting old when I choose comfort over harshness..

thanks again dudes, I'll let you know where I choose to get them from and provide some feedback on the setup in coming weeks!

You won't be dissapointed.
    I was no further than 50m into the test drive before I was grinning like the cheshire cat.
    All the slight undulations in the road had been completely smoothed out.
    Even dad who is a very difficult man to please was amazed
    He didn't get any further than I did before the grin appeared. He said never in 40 years in the auto trade has he seen such a mod make such a large improvement to a car with absolutely now downside.
    He compared handling and ride to his 6. A bit better it was.
    Even at speed on a dirt road now is smooth, its no Citroën, but you don't want to shoot yourself anymore.
    Why it wasn't an option, or standard I don't know

The konis are a very popular mod for BMW guys. There was a test I found somewhere that a magazine in America tested 3 identical bmw's, stock, Koni yellows and FSD.
    Stock was rubbish, yellows ultimately handled the best, but the FSD wasn't far off and the improved ride quality made up for it.

Ha, I'm starting to sound like a Koni sales rep, except I know a bit more than the rep I spoke too
    Where's my commission Koni?

Nah you don't want to work for Koni.... I hear they're shocking payers Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

/runs

---
    - Sent from my iPun using TapaCrappyJoke

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Nah you don't want to work for Koni.... I hear they're shocking payers Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

/runs

---
    - Sent from my iPun using TapaCrappyJoke

Your jokes are shocking

Brad, you better come to bathurst cruise, I want a drive of your car
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast