User Tag List

Thread: MPS 3 gen 1 rear toe alignment + other handling questions/ideas

Default MPS 3 gen 1 rear toe alignment + other handling questions/ideas

I will be doing a major overhaul of the suspension on the MPS 3 and wanted to basically get everything done all at once.

What I have on the cards are:

Bilstein B8 (f&r)
    Eibach prokit
    Front caster bushes (half between caster and anti-lift)
    Rear camber arms

Firstly, can the caster bush settings be changed after they are installed? I'm guessing that the control arms will need to be taken off again to do this, but as long as new bushes aren't necessary...

There are options for a rear Toe adjuster arm as well, but wasn't sure if it was entirely necessary. I will be wanting nothing but 0 toe on the back. As much as I love the twisties, the wear on tyres is imo not worth it for a street car to have anything other than 0.

So my question, I know the rear toe is adjustable which is paired with camber from factory. However as I have the adjustable rear camber arms, is it possible to get 0 toe using the factory gear and still set the camber to hopefully about -0.5 to -1.0?

I am looking for cornering ability rather than straight line speed.

Anyone have any further input/ideas (considering my previous sentence above) as to what else should be upgraded/changed while doing the mentioned changes? I've heard that the front top strut bearing is a good thing to change. My cars only done 30k kms, but if its a small investment to change them now, to save hassle in the future - why not.

I've already got a RSB, but that's about it in terms of suspension work. I am not considering bracing just yet, so just purely suspension mods ideas pls

Strut top bush and bearings are known problems, will cost an extra couple of hundred in parts, if you can afford to do it now, may aswell as you will have to pull the front struts out again to fix later if needed.
    I also suggest the front sway bar bushes, really easy to fit, will cost about $40 and will most likely fix any front clunks you have.
    If your lowering, look at adjustable sway bar end links too, adjust to get the sway bar at the original angle.

After all that and what you have planned, your going to have one very nice handling and riding car

I will most likely get the strut top bearings from the states. they are $70 for the pair plus shipping. the front sway bushings I will leave for now as I dont have any clunks, yet... but I've read that to replace the front bushings, you need to drop the subframe?

I will look into the endlinks. I will see how the stockers hold up first, but if there are any signs of preload i will investigate further. on that note, i did find these guys Powergrid, Inc. who seem to make very robust end links. none for the rear, but they do custom jobs etc. ebay store here Powergrid Inc items - Get great deals on Mazda, Porsche items on eBay Stores!

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    Firstly, can the caster bush settings be changed after they are installed? I'm guessing that the control arms will need to be taken off again to do this, but as long as new bushes aren't necessary...

So my question, I know the rear toe is adjustable which is paired with camber from factory. However as I have the adjustable rear camber arms, is it possible to get 0 toe using the factory gear and still set the camber to hopefully about -0.5 to -1.0?
    control arm does not need to be removed to install the offset bushes. the bushed can also be pressed out and back in and rotated to increase/decrease anti-lift/caster.

0mm toe is easy with any camber settings.