User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd gear synchros

Hi SMOKEY, not mad - more bemused actually. I thought you were the one had the shits with the revs issue, so I was just trying to comprehend it. I read a lot of these forums and it seems everyone talks like the car had just been invented, when in fact people have been changing gears smoothly and double declutching since about 1904. Cheers.

I certainly think rev matching helps make downshifting smoother and quicker. whether double clutching is necessary is another debate

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Hi SMOKEY, not mad - more bemused actually. I thought you were the one had the shits with the revs issue, so I was just trying to comprehend it. I read a lot of these forums and it seems everyone talks like the car had just been invented, when in fact people have been changing gears smoothly and double declutching since about 1904. Cheers.
    I actually find it easier to shift smoothly by getting it into 2nd asap... rarely hit 3000rpm these days in 1st, mainly due to comfort
    Otherwise I do struggle with the 1-2 shift, rest I'm OK with...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I can't imagine anyone not making sure their engine speed is appropriate to the gear they intend to be in - if that is "rev matching" then so be it. If not done, people haul it into gear against a reluctant synchro, drop the clutch and the result is a jerk perceptible by all the occupants, or on the less common occasions when the engine speed is too fast, the car will surge briefly. Either way feels like a rubbish shift.

Buy a Merc C63 and it will even blip the throttle for you - AND it sounds good too. No fishy aftertaste either.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    I can't imagine anyone not making sure their engine speed is appropriate to the gear they intend to be in.
    that would be rev matching

Thanks LUP15 - Exactly my point - I thought it would be ingrained from birth as all but mechanically obvious. It seems to me to be a bit like suddenly having a new word for breathing - everyone does it - or should do it - automatically, and we don't need a new or special term for it.

My old Landrover had a non-synchro first and nothing much left to speak of in second when I got it, but that box did another 800,000 kilometres and the shift into second was like it was greased - and nary a jerk or a grind. You don't need synchro to make smooth shifts. A rev counter helps and was installed in many cars as a matter of course when cars had no synchros at all but, is not necessary. It is perfectly easy to change gears without using the clutch, and it is actually easier without synchro.

I simply wonder what is taught in driving schools these days - but I know that few driving instructors are actually much good at driving. It seems to be such a nerve wracking job that few stick it for long and, rather like driving taxis, it is merely a fill-in job for many, so it has little effort devoted to it. I doubt that many really understand what happens under the bonnet and in the transmission.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Steering and reverse parking that's it lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here Here Doug, i am sorry to say though i just laughed for a good hour after reading your posts, your exactly right and was amusing all at the same time. I think the old days are done and dusted. A lot of technical so called terms that basically mean nothing, except i dont know how to drive properly. Its quite obvious how to shift change correctly and keep clutch and gearbox in good order if you were shown correctly from the beggining. I agree that somehow alot of that knowledge seems to be lost these days.

Being in Perth myself and moving from the east, drivers here do seem to have a few issues lol. Anyway thanks for the laugh i very much enjoyed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12