User Tag List

Thread: where do you get your clutches?

Default where do you get your clutches?

My MPS6 is currently sitting at 93000kms (DEC 05 and im second owner). Theres doesnt appear to be anything nothing wrong with the clutch or it showing signs of wear, but im just paranoid of being in a situation where the car is undrivable (happened in the past in a diffrent car where the clutch completely went during a drive causing total inconvineince)

so...for those that have replaced their clutch...can you please chime in on when(kms) and type of clutch/cost etc

ive been considering ordering one just to standby, and looked on
    mpsgarage today, only to find their clutches are more the racing $$$$ types.

are there any other sites that sell/stock replacement clutches for MPS6 online?

cheers

100% agree would love to know here.

it seems the Exedy kit with a single mass flywheel conversion seems to be a compelling option.

im at 115000km and i think my dual mass is starting to have issues.

i also get a fair bit of crunch on 1st-2nd despite Penrite SYN gearbox oil. might be time to rebuild the box too.

Ice

My original clutch lasted 138000ish Ks and was kinda shagged... Still worked ok until the throwout bearing disintegrated, but the clutch plate was down to the rivets (just), and the outer section of the flywheel moved easily by hand (I don't beleive that this should be the case...)

I ordered mine through Autobarn, as they were my closest Exedy dealer. $1600 for the heavy duty version which is much easier to work and grabs heaps better, but you do pay for that a little with higher pedal weight and some extra vibes if you load it up below 2000 RPM...

1st to 2nd gearchanges much better afterwards, still not perfect but heaps better... should find out what oil Brian put in the gearbox...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

I used to do a lot of towing and clutch riding as a result. My clutch started to feel a little bit dodgy around 80,000kms. My car now has 140,000kms on it and although it seems ok, I've budgeted for a new clutch next year.

Keep the info coming guys. Cheers

NPC Performance Clutches: Home

Billet flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for under $1400, last time I checked.

Made for most of the Mazda racecars. (Targa and Production class)

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    NPC Performance Clutches: Home

Billet flywheel, clutch and pressure plate for under $1400, last time I checked.

Made for most of the Mazda racecars. (Targa and Production class)
    but will it be driveable in the city with a racing clutch Troy? the clutch is a big enough scrunt stock let alone the thought of a brass button clutch... gawd i think id trade the car before i went that way.

the stock clutch in my opinion makes the car an absolute pig, let alone the cruchiness of the gearbox.

im swaying towards the Exedy heavy duty, single mass flywheel conversion, but the thought of even a slight increase in pedal effort is just not fun.

Ice

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    im swaying towards the Exedy heavy duty, single mass flywheel conversion, but the thought of even a slight increase in pedal effort is just not fun.

Ice
    Muahahaha... a month with a heavy duty clutch will build up those mr puniverse legs...

Exedy do have the same kit in a "standard" version (for $100 cheaper) which will still be better than the s(h)tocker...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Quote Originally Posted by IceValk85 View Post
    but will it be driveable in the city with a racing clutch Troy?

Ice
    It's the pressure plate that gives the pedal feeling.

The one I was referrring to comes with a basic clutch plate and pressure plate. It's the single mass flywheel conversion.
    You will notice some difference, but, it will still be suitable for daily driving.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.