User Tag List

Thread: Koni fsd - mps3

Default Koni fsd - mps3

Hey guys,

I've been looking into buying the Koni FSD for my 2006 MPS 3.

As far a I was aware the correct model was the 2100-4045.

But I've just had an email from GSA Wholesale Suspension (I was told me Top Performance to get in contact with GSA) and they said:

"Ok there is 2 different kits avail to suit Mazda 3 MPS, on the rear shocks if it is pin on the top an eye on the bottom of the shocks we use 2100-4040, if it’s an eye to eye shocks use kit 2100-4045"

None of that makes any sense to me. Is anyone able to clarify???
    Last edited by teamfletch1; 04-08-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Got one thing I can clarify for you, Wholesale suspension is a complete rip off.

Have a chat to Brad (BD581) and see what he can get them for. He will also know the correct part no.

Thanks
    Haven't been too impressed with the prices I've been quoted so far.
    So tempted to order from the US and save $300-400.

I'll see what Brad says, thanks for the tip

4040 is for standard Mazda 3
    4045 is for MPS, well actually its for Mazda 5, but the American R&D guy who just happens to own a mazdaspeed3 recommends them. The rebound is more suited to the stiffer MPS springs.

They both fit with no problems, there are a few other members with the normal 3 specific FSD's fitted to their MPS.
    The only fitting issue is with the rear shocks, you need to put a washer in between the bottom of the shock and where it bolts too. The bottom of the FSD is slightly narrower than stock.
    This is with either of the shocks on either of the cars.

The top of the rear shock is a pin. I have no idea what those guys are talking about (unless the shock has been changed) On the Mazdaspeed forum the majority of the guys running FSD are using the 4040 shocks as there was a 12month wait on them (at the time I was researching)
    If these guys are talking to Koni Australia, they (Koni) have no idea.
    They argued with me saying the 4045 would not fit, they are for Mazda 5 not Mazda 3. Even though I had emails from the Koni R&D guy in the US.
    They had no argument back when I asked that if they don't fit, why do they stock a part for a car that doesn't exist in Australia?

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

oh, forum sponsor Greg at GSL motorsport has them (though he was dearer than repco trade price I got, and also advance speed shop.
    With the dollar the way it is, you won't get them cheaper on oz. bad for the economy, but good for the hip pocket. as long as they don't sting you with freight.

So I've been in touch with Greg at GSL Rallysport and can get the FSD for $1050. Best price I've hard so far (apart from the USA).

He's recommended Jimmy at Alba European to do the install. Has anyone here ever dealt with Jimmy before? I've done a quick search and have seen his name mentioned a bit in other car forums.

Thanks mate, only works out $100 cheaper direct from the states. $250 postage on top of that $699

Quote Originally Posted by teamfletch1 View Post
    Thanks mate, only works out $100 cheaper direct from the states. $250 postage on top of that $699
    True, but you can put the extra $100 towards fitting.

Yeah it is tempting, but I guess I'm playing it safe, just incase I get sent the wrong item or a faulty shock or something along those lines. It's going to be much easier to take it up with a local retailer than someone in the states

Appreciate the link though

on this conversation topic, anyone got part numbers for konis on MPS6?

anyone with experience here want to share their findings?

Hey mate, go check out the Koni website. You can put in your car details and it will tell you the correct part number. I wouldn't trust what retailers tell you. I've found most of them are referring to old catalogues and were telling me the wrong item number