User Tag List

Thread: Wanli Tyres

Default Wanli Tyres

The thought of Chinese tyres sets some off into peals of laughter. This post may give pause for thought:

Wanli S1063 | the Wanli S1063 reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

Do not confuse the S1063 with any other Wanli Tyres.

"Wan-li", if you translate it loosely from cantonese means "Play-you"..

nuf said.

Sorry foxy, I don't think I'll ever be convinced that a bunch of inexperienced/low-skilled workers at a newly created tyre factory can compare with the years of experience of people who have made their careers at places like Michelin and Pirelli. And I'm really talking about the development engineers, production engineers and bean counters who have the final say on materials, processes, systems etc. Even at a professional level I'm becoming more exposed to the many problems arising from industries that have shifted away from their traditional supplier bases to cheap Chinese alternatives. Some of these things are going to become headline news items when the stories eventually break.

It really doesn't matter if you're talking about shirts that fall apart the first time they go in the washing machine, clothing that causes latent birth defects and cancers due to highly toxic and teratogenic chemicals and dyes used during production, cars with one-star crash ratings, or the defective steel used in the manufacture of ships and trains - cheap products are a false economy at best and quite possibly dangerous.

There's another Chinese tyre brand called Mayrun. Leaving aside the jokes that they may not, read their website and it's apparent they are attempting to distance themselves from other Chinese tyre manufacturers. And not without good reason.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    It really doesn't matter if you're talking about shirts that fall apart the first time they go in the washing machine, clothing that causes latent birth defects and cancers due to highly toxic and teratogenic chemicals and dyes used during production, cars with one-star crash ratings, or the defective steel used in the manufacture of ships and trains - cheap products are a false economy at best and quite possibly dangerous.
    Don't forget the children's toys that metabolise into dangerous drugs when eaten (Bindis) because the Chinese company manufacturing them swapped out 1 chemical for a cheaper alternative...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Perhaps things are different in the UK. Here, products can't be imported and sold, legally, which are dangerous or do not conform to minimum safety standards. We've certainly had cases of dangerous fireworks being sold which have reulted in arrests etc. I can remember a time when anything which came out of Japan was spoken in the same derogatory terms.
    I buy stuff based on my personal experience, of a particular product, or the experience of others irrespective of where it came from.

cheap and quality are two things that do not go together. having said that, you can find products that do surprise you, which may be the case for these tyres. only way to find out is to get em and try them.

but remember, that only thing that separates the car from the ground is your tyre

edit: just read the comments that were posted. mixed bag, some say they are excellent in the wet, others say they are very dangerous. QA issues there. Also, nearly all comments the drivers are not performance drivers. sure they may say grip is good, but for a performance car, how grip level is defined is totally different to a daily commuter driver
    Last edited by lup15; 04-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.

I am a firm believe of that you pay for what you get. Pay peanuts to fly budget you have to expect a shit service and the chance the planes may drop out of the sky.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk