User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owned my 6MPS for 4 minutes before the first issue appeared!!!

Angry Owned my 6MPS for 4 minutes before the first issue appeared!!!

Howdy all.
    Picked my car up today (2006 6 MPS) and it looked nice.
    But here's the story... on the drive home from the dealership the car exhibited signs of power loss under medium/hard acceleration (40%+ thorttle openings).
    The power loss did not appear to be associated with boost kicking in (as it had the same symptons in 6th gear at 1800rpm). It felt like the car was misfiring and cutting fuel to avoid damage. The noise associated with the problem was like a muted rapid fire machine gun in the engine bay.
    Then to make it even more interesting the "check engine" light came on and flashed for half the drive back to work. I took it easy and called the dealership to advise them that they are a pack of F&#KWITS for letting a customer take delivery of a vehicle with such a fault.
    Took it in to City Mazda who cleared the codes and told me "all fixed" but as you can imagine, after 10km of driving the same problem came back. So it's back on the phone tomorrow for arguments and swearing.

Can anyone shed some light on what might the cause?

I've seen some threads talking about solenoids and EGR requiring attention, but the symptons described in those threads were "occasional power loss"... my problem is consistent, each gear, all the time and feels like fuel cut.

Help and comments appreciated. Cheers.

Did they tell you what the code was? That's the only way you're going to know...

What state are you in? Victoria has specific rules on statutory warranty for newer 2nd hand cars:
    Consumer Affairs Victoria - Business licensing and regulation - Motor car traders - Obligations: used car sales

My quick guess... Loose intake tubing between air box and turbo or turbo and throttle plate...

Ignition coil, or spark plug? I recently had a similar sounding problem which was a combination of a failed coil pack which had apparently cracked the insulator on the spark plug.

Surely you have some sort of dealer warranty, even if it is the statutory warranty?

Where are you from bud?

Spark plug or coil pack won't throw a CEL...

Cracked plugs will throw CELs. If they misfire enough.

Been there, done it, seen it happen to my own car

Me too

9. Default

Sounds like misfires, or even shitty fuel. Dealer coulda cheaped out and used 91ron or something?

I'm in VIC (inner South East).
    Sounds like some of you have come across this particular problem in the past, so hopefully a Mazda dealer will be able to diagnose the cause of the problem promptly.

In the mean time, the dealer has agreed to take the vehicle back (tow truck has been and gone) and has booked it in with Essendon Mazda for inspection.

Fingers crossed that they have as much experience with common 6 MPS problems as you guys on here!!

Sadly, this is the first picture I can post of my car on here.... strapped to a tow truck (didn't even have enough power to get up the ramp due to the misfire).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	9298

Never good to see an MPS on the back of a tray truck

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

bugger mate
    did they ever tell you what the CEL was?

Quote Originally Posted by Poogene2001 View Post
    I'm in VIC (inner South East).
    Sounds like some of you have come across this particular problem in the past, so hopefully a Mazda dealer will be able to diagnose the cause of the problem promptly.

In the mean time, the dealer has agreed to take the vehicle back (tow truck has been and gone) and has booked it in with Essendon Mazda for inspection.

Fingers crossed that they have as much experience with common 6 MPS problems as you guys on here!!

Sadly, this is the first picture I can post of my car on here.... strapped to a tow truck (didn't even have enough power to get up the ramp due to the misfire).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	9298
    I recon mine holds the record at 4 time towed.. anyone beat me .. sound like a coil pack fried, my last missfire was a loose connection on the ecu to wire harness ( love my dash hawk lol)
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Hey guys I had the same problem yesterday on the way back from the tyre shop the car had lost most of it's power the car would cut out continuously at about 1500rpm engine light came on so I drove it like a granny all the back home anyways cutting the long story short took it to my mechanic he plugged in that tool were it reads engine codes and also tells you the problem and it said code 07 or 0903 something like that and then it said cylinder 3 misfire and my mech said it's either the coil pack or spark so problem solved just need to find some good coil pack

I bought genuine Mazda coils from the USA and used a shipping forwarder. It may be worth asking if they ship directly and if so, how much Mazda Ignition Coil (2006-2011) Each 2.3L & 2009 Mazda 6 2.5L

And the spark plugs (NGK ILTR6A-8G) I bought through Harold at performancelub.com

You can also get non-genuine coils from Repco, Super Cheap, etc in the form of Tridon TIC-240

Diagnosis is in......... and the winner is? Water in the spark plugs!!!

Apparently steam cleaning the engine bay prior to delivery is a dangerous business.

Either way had the car towed back and it looks to be sorted out. Now i realise just how fast a 6MPS is! (even in the wrong gear!)

How long did it take to get here from the US

Quote Originally Posted by Poogene2001 View Post
    Diagnosis is in......... and the winner is? Water in the spark plugs!!!

Apparently steam cleaning the engine bay prior to delivery is a dangerous business.

Either way had the car towed back and it looks to be sorted out. Now i realise just how fast a 6MPS is! (even in the wrong gear!)
    Good news! Hopefully you can enjoy the car without any more troubles

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMPS View Post
    How long did it take to get here from the US
    Maybe a week or two? I used a shipping forwarder but they may ship directly

That's great news, Poogene.
    Now get out there and enjoy the drive!

20. Default

What fantastic news, pity your experience started out badly, but 1 week with your MPSS it will be all forgotten and replaced by the massive grin on your face .... enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast