User Tag List

Thread: GENII OEM DRL's

Default GENII OEM DRL's

Hey GENII owners, I've been hanging around the US forums taking a keen interest in the Canadian DRL's, trying to work out how they do it, and how it's different from the US and Australian MPS's. I worked out very early on that Aus and US use the W5W parker bulb. It's in the manual But I couldn't fathom how the Canadians have a DRL in the same position. DRL's are very bright afterall.

The Canadian guys were saying their DRL are behind the Nagare double wedge. But thats the same position as our parker...confused I was.

So after some backs and forth and a little bit of abuse, I think I've cracked it.

Another forum poster mentioned he thought it was a H8 bulb (see below), but I couldn't see how that was possible given how small the the W5W parker we use in the same position...

I took a pic and posted it, with some explanation as to how I think the Canadian cars are "converted" to have DRL's.

The W5W parker sits in a grey body (labeled 1). It looks like it could be removed from the black base (labeled 2) and where it might be possible to fit a larger bulb. But would it fit in the headlight...???

Then while looking at the photo, I saw some print moulded into the plastic on the top left of the headlight.

Top Line says: Canada H8
    Bottome line says: Other W5W

What does this mean?? It means could fit something like this:

2pcs H11 H8 WHITE 68-SMD 3528 LED CAR FOG LIGHTS BULB | eBay

or these

HID XENON light h1 h3 h7 h8 H9 9005 9006 Conversion KIT | eBay

...theoretically

Does this affect the price of egg's? No, But if you drive a GenII and your bonkers about lights/LED's, this might interest you...
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Brad, you are a Champ! Thanks for that.. i wouldn't mind changing mine.. they felt a little weak.!

Interesting.

Some great research there Brad. Someone going to bite the bullet and try it?

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

I just hope the globes don't melt the headlight assy...

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    I just hope the globes don't melt the headlight assy...
    The LEDs or Xenons shouldn't burn any hotter than the stock halogens. Not much burns hotter than a halogen in a car these days lol

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

You're a smart cookie Brad .

Nice find Brad!!!

I'm running 2XS LED parkers at the moment and after going through a few packets of these, have finally succeeded in matching the glow of the LEDs to the Xenons..
    Not too Blue - Not too white (If you know what i mean) and am also running the 65smd Fog lights..
    You would think these H8 DRLs will be too bright against the Xenons tho wouldn't they??
    Interesetd to hear some opinions as i wouldn't wanna have BRIGHT parkers/DRLs that inturn make the xenons look dull..

While I am cant say Im overly familiar with the gen 2 lights, you could try putting some of these in your front indicator sockets,

Tail Lights LED Flashing

they are a dual colour globe, a bit of a bugger to wire up, but might give you the effect you are after.
    One terminal is the white glow, the other is the orange, the orange circuit takes precedence so will still work when you are indicating.
    I have some of these in my rear lights wired up to the reverse lights, so if Im reversing I get 4 x white lights, if Im waiting for a parking spot (i.e indicating, while in reverse) the bulb that is getting the signal will flash alternately between white and orange.

You also need to be careful placing LEDs near heat sources, i.e Headlights, more so with Halogens than Xenons, you will need some metal insulated bulbs as found here if you require any longevity from your bulbs:

The Ultimate II 501/T10/194 1 x 1 Watt Ultra Xenon White by Ultra Leds U.K
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    While I am cant say Im overly familiar with the gen 2 lights, you could try putting some of these in your front indicator sockets,

Tail Lights LED Flashing

they are a dual colour globe, a bit of a bugger to wire up, but might give you the effect you are after.
    One terminal is the white glow, the other is the orange, the orange circuit takes precedence so will still work when you are indicating.
    I have some of these in my rear lights wired up to the reverse lights, so if Im reversing I get 4 x white lights, if Im waiting for a parking spot (i.e indicating, while in reverse) the bulb that is getting the signal will flash alternately between white and orange.

You also need to be careful placing LEDs near heat sources, i.e Headlights, more so with Halogens than Xenons, you will need some metal insulated bulbs as found here if you require any longevity from your bulbs:

The Ultimate II 501/T10/194 1 x 1 Watt Ultra Xenon White by Ultra Leds U.K
    I tried it the Switchbacks. I have them down stairs in box I even bought the resisters just in case.

Wiring it up is the tough part. You need to get an extra wire into the indicator socket to light up the white lights.

Now I just want the LED indicators of the Switchbacks to work...A job for another weekend.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by MPSed View Post
    Nice find Brad!!!

I'm running 2XS LED parkers at the moment and after going through a few packets of these, have finally succeeded in matching the glow of the LEDs to the Xenons..
    Not too Blue - Not too white (If you know what i mean) and am also running the 65smd Fog lights..
    You would think these H8 DRLs will be too bright against the Xenons tho wouldn't they??
    Interesetd to hear some opinions as i wouldn't wanna have BRIGHT parkers/DRLs that inturn make the xenons look dull..
    I use my fogs and Parkers 99% of the time during the day. I'm too worried about burning out those expensive DS2 bulbs. So another daytime light appeals to me.

Below are some photos of parker bulb base shown in the above photos. It does come out quite easily.

Below is a H11 halogen fog light. I thought it might fit, as H8 & H11 bulbs are mentioned together a lot. But no, the H8 bulb must be a little smaller to fit in that orifice.

Redbull is DEAD!!

Very interesting, Im thinking that the Canadian model may have an adapter so they can go with the H8 just like our model has an adapter to go with the W5W, lets hope not, it would be great to put the H8 LED's in there.

Hi everyone,

Did anyone manage to replace the grey T10 adapter with a H(?) globe?
    I bought some LED H8 globes, but the H8 base is much bigger and the plug will not fit.

It looks a bit like a H13 base...

Sorry mate, I sucked you all into my fantasy of squeezing more LED's into that hole.

I also went for H8's, alas, it does not fit.

Our headlight is different to the Canadian one which seems mad considering they must be the same all over the world.

AWESOME thread revival though...Probably should close it to prevent others falling into my misinformation...

Anybody want to try more LEDs?
    I'm keen to work out what ones will fit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Sorry mate, I sucked you all into my fantasy of squeezing more LED's into that hole.

I also went for H8's, alas, it does not fit.

Our headlight is different to the Canadian one which seems mad considering they must be the same all over the world.

AWESOME thread revival though...Probably should close it to prevent others falling into my misinformation...
    That's ok Brad. It was a nice idea while it lasted

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Anybody want to try more LEDs?
    I'm keen to work out what ones will fit too.
    I currently have fitted T10's with a single CREE led and projector lens.
    They're apparently rated at 5W.
    They throw a lot of light forward but don't 'fill' the area with light particularly well.
    I feel a good combination would be the a CREE led and projector lens on the top and SMD LEDs around the sides.
    @2XS. I thought something like this might fit...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321049301...ht_4393wt_1037

The opening is about 15mm.

I think the grey T10 adapter is some exotic globe fitting not normally used in OZ.
    The research continues...
    Last edited by hypersven; 15-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.