User Tag List

Thread: I've just been told I need new shocks!

Default I've just been told I need new shocks!

Hey guys,

As the title says I need new shocks for my 2006 MPS3. Mazda has said the my Front Right Size is leaking and needs replacing.
    They've quoted me $200 per shock + $400 fitting.
    Pedders Quoted $485 total.

I've been reading the forum and someone mentioned that pedders told them that they don't do shock for the MPS's.
    When pedders quoted me I asked if that was for the MPS and he said they were the same shocks as the standard Mazda 3, is that correct?

Also is it worthwhile upgrading all my shock for Koni (I've seen you guys mention these a fair bit). Is so what sort of price would I be looking at?

i got my old 08 mps3 shocks and kings springs avaliable if that helps ?

Pedders quoted me approx. $1000 for all 4 shocks (Koni) for the MPS6. That included the parts, fitting and wheel alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbris View Post
    i got my old 08 mps3 shocks and kings springs avaliable if that helps ?
    Thanks mate, I think I'm going to put a new set in though, probably keep the car a while longer

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

That seems pretty sweet.

Were those the FSD Koni??

How come you didn't go ahead with it?

How come you didn't go ahead with it?
    Was advised to wait a while, they'll be going on special soon.

6. Default

If you had $1000-1100 I'd say grab some Koni FSD's...

Great set-up for the standard springs apparently.

Adrian

I have adjustable Koni Sports. With King Springs. Great ride and handling. Cost me $1100, and I did all the work myself.

the FSD's would be tempting...
    heard god things about them

Quote Originally Posted by teamfletch1 View Post
    Were those the FSD Koni??
    I was chasing some Koni FSDs for my MPS 6 and was told that FSDs werent made for the MPS 6, only made for the MPS 3 and THAT is only because one of the Koni development engineers has an MPS 3 as his personal car.

Have things changed? Are they definitely available for the MPS 6 now?

I would love to know here because I was just about to place an order for Bilstein B6s as a second choice.

If they ARE available, does anyone have the Koni part numbers please?

Leon
    Started out with nothing Still got most of it left

So are the shocks in the MPS different to the standard Mazda 3?
    When pedders quoted me they guy said that they were the same. That didn't sound right to me, makes me wonder if they know what they are talking about

No they are not the same. Same shape but the valving inside is different. Personally I'd take it somewhere else.

If you can be arsed driving it to Beerwah, and happy for someone to do a home job, I'll install anything you want to. Just do you research and supply the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by projectrracing View Post
    No they are not the same. Same shape but the valving inside is different. Personally I'd take it somewhere else.

If you can be arsed driving it to Beerwah, and happy for someone to do a home job, I'll install anything you want to. Just do you research and supply the parts.
    Thanks mate that's a very tempting offer, but I've got an extended warranty on the car so I kind of need to play it safe and have it done through a workshop.

The more I read up about the Koni FSD the more I'm thinking it's the way to go considering for factory shocks and install I'm looking at about $700 for the front only.
    Have been quoted - Shocks - $780 Shipping to 4556 - $240 by Jeff and Advance Speed for the FSD's.
    Does anyone know if the fitting is pretty straight forward? I have seen a couple of people doing home jobs mention that they had some minor fitment issues. Would somewhere like pedders have any trouble considering they probably haven't done an MPS3 before.

I can recommend a mechanic to get the work done in Kuluin area if you don't trust Pedders. There is wheel alignment workshop next door to him also if you need the whole lot done in one place.

Yeah mate that would be awesome

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Was just having a look at the pedders website. Looks like the other Shocks they recommend for the MPS3 and SP23 are 22-112811 Bilstein Shocks. Would that be right?