User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dump pipe installation - any tips and tricks (MPS 3) appreciated

Default Dump pipe installation - any tips and tricks (MPS 3) appreciated

So after 6 months since initial payment was made to Protege Garage, i FINALLY got my dump pipe. Its a Cobb unit with ceramic coating. I asked for satin black, but this is what i got I also ordered an external oil filter conversion which wasn't included, FFS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cobb_dp.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	9260

Anyways, I'll be attempting to install this myself (MPS 3 gen1) and wanted to get any advice that might help ease the pain of installation.

Got basic tools (socket, open/ring spanner sets), torque wrench and will be using ramps.

The questions:
    • Does anyone in Brisbane have an O2 sensor socket I could borrow?
    • Any suggestions as to what products work best to loosen the nuts? I have WD40...
    • I would want to put anti-seize on so for whatever reason, the next time won't be as painful. I guess some high temp anti-seize of some sort, any recommendations?
    • Any other tools that will aid the installation? I've linked the tool sets that I have to give an idea what comes with them

Should the unfortunate happen and I strip the O2 sensor, I've read that getting them from the states is a lot cheaper. Any input on this would be appreciated.

I will be following a How-to guide that I grabbed from one of the US forums, so that's a start at least.

thanks everyone
    Last edited by lup15; 28-07-2011 at 01:19 PM.

expect it to take a good 5-6 hours (assuming you know what you are doing)
    lots of WD40, lots of swearing, take your sweet time removing the 02 sensors

never done it, but heard it's a PITA, the more km's your car has done, the harder it will be...

Yes I expected that at the very least. I'm going to devote a weekend to it. Otherwise I have a whole week in Sept

I think it's a time like these where the love/hate relationship with cars is tested haha

Looks pretty sweet. You'll be saving some good dollars doing it yourself. Hope it works out. I got mine installed at Allstar. Wasn't cheap.

Anti seize (Locktite 771 nickle based ) available from most Repco stores . High content nickle suitable for S/S. Make sure u finger it into threads .
    O2 sensor sockets can be expensive , a cheap ring spanner and use a angle grinder with thin steel cutting blade to cut a small wedge from ring spanner ,then u can slip it over the wires .
    Depending how seized the o2 sensor is , patience is key ,small turns back and forward to slowly loosen ,remember that there was possibly NO anti seize installed .
    If u are not totally removing o2 sensor and wires from harness point , remember that when reinstalling sensor ,to twist sensor and wires several turns in opposite direction BEFORE tightening into new dp as once u start to tighten u will twist the wires into a loop and this can break fine wires.
    Da Da Thats all folks !!!!!! Hope this helps with a PITA job.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Make sure u finger it into threads .
    Oh dear Paul...so romantic with your pipes...

On top of the quality comments above, I can give you one comforting piece of info.

After you spend a good 4 hours swearing your head off getting the old DP out, the new one will be a piece of cake to install lol.

Oh, have bandages on hand, and cotton rags for the larger bleeds, cause odds are you will have some after this project is over.

As far as removing the sensors, if they really start binding up, unhook the wiring and remove carefully still installed in the DP.

Then use something like Brakeclean, and spray it down the oem DP letting it run over the side where the sensor is.

Brakeclean will loosen up the built up carbon really well and might save you having to buy new sensors.
    Last edited by RadiantKnackers; 28-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Read this: how to: mazdaspeed3 downpipe - Mazdaspeed Forums

might need to register, oh and also the heat shields are a biatch to undo, the plugs for both o2 sensors are a pain to get undone and you have to make sure not to strip any of the bolt heads otherwise you're stuffed!

Took me over 5hrs but it was worth it

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Oh also Loctite make a product called freeze n release, it works wonders and helped me a lot in loosening stuff up...
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

awesome all. will get some of those loctite products. anyone know who stocks loctite? I found them hard to find..

also as I don't have an angle grinder, I will most likely buy an O2 socket if I cant borrow one. I've read its a 22mm socket, is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    awesome all. will get some of those loctite products. anyone know who stocks loctite? I found them hard to find..

also as I don't have an angle grinder, I will most likely buy an O2 socket if I cant borrow one. I've read its a 22mm socket, is this correct?
    You can find the freeze release at AutoBarn, big black can with a white nozzle and red straw, with regards to the socket I can confirm it is a 22mm size and there are a few on ebay, I believe the deep ones with the slot on the side are best, specially for undoing the top sensor, remember to take your time and when loosening them up, go 3/4 to 1/2 turn then back it off then go another 3/4 to 1/2 turn, this ensures the threads dont get all messed up, and I've also found that the 14mm nuts on the DP flange can be taken out with a deep socket, an extension and one of those universal joints.

The two bottom ones can be loosened up from the top but there is also a tiny bit of room underneath, make sure to unplug the sensors first though.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

So alex you going to do mine when i get 1 :P, another kebab coming up haha...

PS might have a hoist in that time :O

alright bought the loctite 771 and freeze and release products. just need to get a o2 sensor socket. is it best to get the long socket or the short offset type

long O2 sensor socket | MPS Garage
    short OXYGEN SENSOR / O2 SENSOR SOCKET TOOL, 22mm, 3/8" drive | eBay

The long one, the short one, it doesn't really matter.

For $300, I'll fit it for you.

Dont bang your head while trying to remove the under car shields

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    The long one, the short one, it doesn't really matter.

For $300, I'll fit it for you.
    Save the $300, do it your self, get to learn more about your car and how things work = gaining experience, and yes the long one help, I had the short one and I had issues with clearance the breaker bar being so close to the cyl head, a long one would have been much helpful...

how did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    how did it go?
    Maybe his still going?

This weekend hopefully. I ordered the short o2 sensor, c how I go with that. Will update when i,m done

So close yet to far. been able to get all the bolts off and came to the last part to get the stock dump off.

How the hell do you get the bolts off that connect dump pipe to engine block bracket? I don't want to round the edges of the head. I can't get the stock dump off as this bracket seems to be getting in the way

over it for today. what a job D:

GOT THE SUCKER ON. OMG WOW

what a bitch of a job. had a couple of small hiccups, but I'm glad its all over. will write up more little later. time to rest my sore neck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast