User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full exhaust units or custom jobs

Default Full exhaust units or custom jobs

For economic reasons, I just wanted to know if it was worth going for a full exhaust unit such as the CP-E or Corksport etc. vs. the idea of getting the DP from a branded manufacturer and custom jobbing the rest of the system.

Is there a cheaper option? Or do they both yield the same approximate price?

Also, is there a better performance option? Or is it just purely for personal preference and audio?

I was looking at the CP-E DP and also the full exhaust system, and I was tossing up whether to just go for the whole thing, or get the DP and get the CBE done here locally.

Any advice is welcome.

Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

I have a custom, welcome to check mine out. It's not worth getting an exhaust based on achieving economy. The CP-E is loud although sounds nice. Pete and Jenx have one and it sounds great.

Not sure how any exhaust mod is going to be seeing you just had your tune done today though. Check out my thread (my exhaust post) for more detailed info including price etc if you like

Depending on what improvements could be made to the current software, they may revert it back to stock and go with other possibilities, but we'll see how that goes when I come in next week.

In regards to the exhaust, I just wanted to see what was the better option if there is any or if there's a better financial way to do it. I don't mind spending the bucks, but I don't want to spend what doesn't need to be spent if you know what I mean, I'm not after sound, just better performance.
    Mazda6 MPS

BNR STAGE 1 - COBB ACCESSPORT STAGE 2 - CP-e HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP - CP-E DOWNPIPE - 3" MAGNAFLOW ZORST - DENSO ITV22 SPARK PLUGS - COBB SF INTAKE - COBB TURBO INLET PIPE - JBR 70a TRILOGY MOUNTS - SURE ANCHORS - SURE COUNTERWEIGHT - 2XS SHORT SHIFT PLATE - 2XS STEALTH BLOW OFF VALVE - KING PERFORMANCE LOWERED SPRINGS - BILSTEIN B8 SHOCKS - WHITELINE REAR SWAY BAR - DBA 4000 CROSS DRILLED ROTORS - HAWK PERFORMANCE HPS BRAKE PADS

i went custom ces racing system 3 inch dp and system, freaking awesome

If you don't want sound then just get a DP, or get a DP and cat-back but retain the stock mufflers, sound is better though!
    Last edited by rogwick; 26-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    If you don't want sound then just get a DP, or get a DP and cat-back but retail the stock mufflers, sound is better though!
    Hmm, will definitely think about it. Good advice man, cheers!

I can understand how sound is great and all, but where I live all my neighbours are mostly grannies and grandads, and young children so if I went with sound you can imagine the amount of assraping that would ensue.

On the other hand...

Waking up the neighbourhood is quite funny....

I used to do that with my old car with the milo tin at the back.
    Mazda6 MPS

As the car warms up on cold start you'll wake your suburb lol, then once it calms down its will be awesome

Who cares, that's their problem. Unless you have a 1000cc motorbike with a Leo Vince exhaust and you're purposely revving at 10,000RPM at 6am they can shut the hell up and stop compaining.

James is right though, the MPS is a beast on cold start with an exhaust. My exhaust is one of the quiestest modded units I reckon but man she drones outside the car on cold start!!!!

Where do you live? I'll bring the CBR600RR with Akrapovic exhaust (when I purchase and install) around, that way your car will sound like a kitten and they won't mind it.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    Who cares, that's their problem. Unless you have a 1000cc motorbike with a Leo Vince exhaust and you're purposely revving at 10,000RPM at 6am they can shut the hell up and stop compaining.

James is right though, the MPS is a beast on cold start with an exhaust. My exhaust is one of the quiestest modded units I reckon but man she drones outside the car on cold start!!!!

Where do you live? I'll bring the CBR600RR with Akrapovic exhaust (when I purchase and install) around, that way your car will sound like a kitten and they won't mind it.
    Your car? Quiet? Funniest thing I've ever heard.

Suppose it'd be more quiet than most.

And don't worry, I've also heard your bike too.

Hoon.
    Mazda6 MPS

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    Your car? Quiet? Funniest thing I've ever heard.

Suppose it'd be more quiet than most.

And don't worry, I've also heard your bike too.

Hoon.
    It is fairly quiet for a modded exhaust. Compared to stock its a beast but at the drags I couldn't hear a thing...N/A lancers are louder than my car. I have two resonators don't forget, not many folks have the same

I don't mind it like that though cause I do a bit of country runs and I used to have a milo tin on a 1.6L pulsar.

My bike is fairly quiet as its stock, once I get a full system it should be fairly loud. I don't work at Prestige anymore so you wouldn't have heard or seen me for a while!

M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

Get a dump pipe and high flow cat. Replace the rear muffler to a high flow unit, that's it. Not much to be gained from aftermarket MPS exhausts except noise.
    Infact, REMOVE your rear muffler all together... (I did) I DARE YOU! lol

I was wondering why I haven't been hearing that exhaust. Must've been a pretty crappy experience or you landed something big, whatever it is, good luck ey!

I'll have a look around, gonna hit up Zack from Cypher and see what he can do with the exhaust as well as Willeton exhausts, and go from there!

My will will probably break and end up with the whole shebang.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grajy View Post
    Get a dump pipe and high flow cat. Replace the rear muffler to a high flow unit, that's it. Not much to be gained from aftermarket MPS exhausts except noise.
    You son of a bitch.

Don't dare me 'cause I'll probably go through with it haha.
    Mazda6 MPS

My exhaust is a Cypher job, so if you like the sound of mine Zack is the man.

Prestige was too stressful, I landed something bigger anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Cheese View Post
    I was wondering why I haven't been hearing that exhaust. Must've been a pretty crappy experience or you landed something big, whatever it is, good luck ey!

I'll have a look around, gonna hit up Zack from Cypher and see what he can do with the exhaust as well as Willeton exhausts, and go from there!

My will will probably break and end up with the whole shebang.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

You son of a bitch.

Don't dare me 'cause I'll probably go through with it haha.
    hehehehehehehe... Believe it or not, it doesn't drone. It's just exhaust noise. Old school. Proper. Noise. I love it.
    ___,...--'--..--...,,,
    [__--_;=-o-:iiiiiilll.===
    ``/ /-'|___|;;;;;;;;:

I landed something bigger anyway
    Lucky bastard.

My exhaust is a Cypher job, so if you like the sound of mine Zack is the man.
    I'll hit you up one of these days, just gotta work out how much it might cost first, don't want to get too attached. I really did like the sound of your exhaust.

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

hehehehehehehe... Believe it or not, it doesn't drone. It's just exhaust noise. Old school. Proper. Noise. I love it.
    Haha. LOUD NOISES!
    Mazda6 MPS

I was earning less than a hairdresser before at my last place so I would hardly say I am lucky now, but least I get paid more along the lines of what I have been educated to do.

here you go lazy bum, info in here!!

T H E - E X H A U S T

If you're looking into a decent exhaust for your 6/3 plan about $2-2,500 minimum. It's basically from the turbo back, replacing the stock system, thus giving you more power, and if it's your desire, enhanced sound. The stock downpipe (turbo, into downpipe, into catalytic converter out...) is a large restrictive member in the MPS. The flow is poor, the design is large and considers emissions and the likes. Removal of this will give a increased exhaust gas flow and at less resistance due to the larger diameter of the downpipe unit itself.

The optional part now, is whether or not to get a cat-back system, flanged to the downpipe. In terms of "power" most of the gains you will be able to achieve are left at the downpipe. Although a smoother and larger diameter makes for less resistance and of course replacing the mufflers will give a sound to your vehicle. You will notice on the 6, the cat-back single pipe-run splits further down to enable entry to the twin mufflers. This split (or "Y" piece) is pretty much a curved "T". Having a "T"-like run makes for increased resistance as your exhaust gas attempts to exit via the mufflers. A high flow, less resistance "Y" piece (see photo's below) would achieve minimal gains but a smoother higher flowing system. Why not compliment the downpipe and complete the exhaust if your finances allow you?

Mufflers can be personal. Stainless, oval, cannon, round, high flow, sports, sound, loud are all the words that come to mind. If you intend getting a set of mufflers you want a note, but nothing too loud that will make the neighbours hate you and the cops like you. For me it was two stainless steel super-cat mufflers. They're oval by design and sit high up, thus offering next to no chance of hitting. The pipework neck from the muffler will/should comfortably exit the chrome exhaust tips sitting not to far out but rather inside about ~10mm

0₂ Sensor connection on DP

DP Flange to cat-back, can see one resonator and the other in the corner of the shot

Pipework connection into muffler

Rear setup

Exhaust Tip

M P S

17. Default

i concur, for the 3mps, and your car sounds nice!

mps6 is a different story. if I had my time again i would go custom all the way. 3" mild steel mandrel bends, quality tips, with dump pipe...

When talking exhausts the gen1 3MPS and 6MPS have nothing in common and cannot be compared.

As I have posted a few times, the 6MPS mufflers have outstanding acoustic and flow qualities and you will go backwards if you replace them, unless you're seeking more noise. Reputable dyno testing also suggests you will also go backwards with a 3 inch pipe.

If you want power without noise issues the optimal configuration is to replace the DP and mid pipe. But not any mid pipe. It needs to be a certain configuration to work properly and I have the recipe. After a great deal of searching I have finally found a fabricator in WA with the appropriate level of skill to make the mid pipe properly. Let me find out how much it's going to cost and I'll get back to you.

If you don't like the pea shooter exhaust tips by all means replace them. But it's purely cosmetic, you wont gain a single kw by replacing them. I quite like those pissy little pipes because they make it all the more painful for bogans in V8's.

Gone to Volvo

After a great deal of searching I have finally found a fabricator in WA with the appropriate level of skill to make the mid pipe properly. Let me find out how much it's going to cost and I'll get back to you.
    Please do, that'd be much appreciated. It'll save me a fair dime.

Hey guys,

Quick question in regards to the downpipe. I'm looking at the CP-E website as well as a few more and it's asking whether I want a "Wide band o2 band and cap." I realize I need the high-flow cat which is an extra $150 so I'm all cool with that, but I'm completely confuzzled when it comes to the o2 band. Do I need one?

It ranges from $15 - $65 depending on whether I want them welded in or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast