User Tag List

Thread: About to sign on the dotted line for a 6MPS

Cool About to sign on the dotted line for a 6MPS

Hi All,
    I've been quietly reading up on Mazda 6 MPSs (particularly the wise words on this forum) and have taken a plunge on a 2006 Black MPS with Leather Pack.

I'm taking delivery next week and am keen to work out how I can get some small performance gains in the next few months. I'm not looking to spend big bucks, but hoping to get a bit more noise (preferably exhaust rather than induction), slightly earlier boost and a few extra kw.

Would $1,500 get me some of that wish list?

Some of the things I have considered include a CAI (unsure of suitable brands - HELP!), CPE Standback ECU (not sure if this is a good option - HELP!) and a tune by possibly the Horsepower Factory as I'm in melbourne. No idea about what to do with the exhaust (mainly due to the skinny pipes hidden behind the fake tips) so advice is very welcome.

I'm welcoming any and all suggestions and introductions & promise not to make any sarcastic retorts (atleast not for the first few days!!).

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your feedback!

(no points putting pics up I'm assuming as it is DEAD STOCK)

Best bang for the buck in the price range is most likely the HP-F tune... But you wouldn't get noise with that not sure with the mazda 6 but you could get a cat back done or an aftermarket exhaust after the split?

Should give it decent power and maybe a good note and most likely in your price range.

3. Default

get a Dump Pipe and Welcome

you have made a wise choice welcome!!

Thanks for the welcomes! Looking forward to a few more replies with suggestions (hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    Ditto.
    DP was/is the best mod I've made. Will also give the car a bit more of a "burble".
    A Hypertech tuning module will give the car a bit more pep as well.

Consider a tune. Give chiptorque a call, they do their Ezy-Flash pro for Mazda 6's now. You'd go from roughly 147 killer wasps at wheels to 165kw, plus better fuel economy, plus you know that yr car would be running spot on!

http://www.chiptorque.com.au/Ezy-FLASH_Pro.html

G'day buddy And welcome!

Firstly great choice on MPS ! put some pics of it when you can

And yes definately get a down pipe for nice deep tone and great performance enhancement , plus an SRI for induction sound and a small blow off imitation sound.

hi welcome to mps gang !

I also have a six and am doing mods to it as we speak, I have had a full exhast put in and this has given more power and the car now runs slightly more boost but not huge power gains. I have done lots of reading and have got a CAI been fitted with cold box and I have had a dp made for my car which I am hoping will have big gains (dont get a custom pipe made by some one who does not have your car as mine is a great pipe but needed more bending and extra bits fitted ! The tune would be a good idea but as soon as you get extra mods this tune will quickly become worthless, the idea is get as many bits done as you like/afford and then tune (thats my master plan anyway) with the bits listed above i am expecting around 300hp with out tune and then maybe an extra 20-30 with tune and obviously more tourque !

All the best and the people on this blog are a book of knowledge

Hi and welcome to the forum

Nice choice in car :P Hope you enjoy it a lot. Now to answer some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Poogene2001 View Post
    Hi All,
    I've been quietly reading up on Mazda 6 MPSs (particularly the wise words on this forum) and have taken a plunge on a 2006 Black MPS with Leather Pack.

I'm taking delivery next week and am keen to work out how I can get some small performance gains in the next few months. I'm not looking to spend big bucks, but hoping to get a bit more noise (preferably exhaust rather than induction), slightly earlier boost and a few extra kw.

Would $1,500 get me some of that wish list?

Some of the things I have considered include a CAI (unsure of suitable brands - HELP!) This will definitely make you hear induction noise, also make it sound a little like you have a blow off valve. I got a corksport Short Ram Intake because I wanted both those and because it connects to the turbo instead of leaving the stock weird plastic bit, CPE Standback ECU (not sure if this is a good option - HELP!) Hmm I think from memory the Standback + Tune would be your entire budget gone and a tune by possibly the Horsepower Factory HPF can just tune your stock ECU which a few members myself inclusive have had done. This should cost less than 900 and requires not hacking into your ECU wiring (or very costly plug and play harness). I almost put in a piggy back unit similar to the CPE but decided to go the tune instead. The guys at HPF were helpful, its the only place that has ever done MORE work on my car than I asked and requested LESS payment than quoted. as I'm in melbourne. No idea about what to do with the exhaust (mainly due to the skinny pipes hidden behind the fake tips) so advice is very welcome. Exhaust depends on what you are after, if you want to do the cheapest option and only care about sound then a catback of muffler change would probably be the go. If you want performance but don't want to change sound much then just dump pipe. If you want the best of both worlds (which I reccomend) go the full Turbo back exhaust! Also note that if you do get the dump pipe or full exhaust expect to pay for install. It's a real bitch of a job.

I'm welcoming any and all suggestions and introductions & promise not to make any sarcastic retorts (atleast not for the first few days!!).

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your feedback!

(no points putting pics up I'm assuming as it is DEAD STOCK)

Lots of food for thought there. Sounds like if im not careful I might end up $6,000 poorer very quickly!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Should be getting the car mid week!

Howdy again.
    Picked my car up today and it looks nice.
    But here's the story... on the drive home from the dealership the car exhibited signs of power loss under medium/hard acceleration (40%+ thorttle openings).
    The power loss did not appear to be associated with boost kicking in (as it had the same symptons in 6th gear at 1800rpm). It felt like the car was misfiring and cutting fuel to avoid damage.
    Then to make it even more interesting the "check engine" light came on and flashed for half the drive back to work. I took it easy and called the dealership to advise them that they are a pack of F&#KWITS for letting a customer take delivery of a vehicle with such a fault.
    Took it in to City Mazda who cleared the codes and told me "all fixed" but as you can imagine, after 10km of driving the same problem came back. So it's back on the phone tomorrow for arguments and swearing. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    What she said... Welcome.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Take them to task under Statutory Warranty mate, I had similar things with a SP23 I bought used from a dealer. Keep records, keep on them, you will get a result.

Welcome buddy and sorry to hear of your problems in your last post.

Mate, your welcome to check out my rides thread if you like rather than a long post of mod ideas etc. You can do this by clicking the yellow RR below on my sig. If you have any questions, shoot. There's a fair bit of text, pics and info. You have many options but in any case you have to be prepared to spend some coin to get the benefits. Mods are listed in my sig and as you can see I'm running the hypertech tune which was around $430. Not the best tuning option but for a stock turbo she goes hard. Had all four wheels spinning in the wet this morning going slightly sideways in a straight line! Downpipe's are expensive yet worth it. I have a full turbo back exhaust which set me back around $2,500 (details in my thread). An intake helps for increased air flow as the stock intake path is pretty small and I can imagine more restrictive. A SRI or CAI would sort that, if your budget allows a TIP to go with and a high flow filter.

BOV = save you money I reckon. Mine was $400 and I've since taken it off as it was making rattling noises, wish I took it off sooner. Although the sound was nice but the MPS goes better IMO now.

Hope you get your issues sorted with your car.

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers