User Tag List

Thread: Couple of questions regarding Kumho KU31's

Default Couple of questions regarding Kumho KU31's

It's time to replace the OEM 215/45/18 Bridgestones on my Gen 1 MPS 3 stock rims. I've done a bit of research on these forums and Kumho KU31's seem to be a good choice. I'll probably be going 225/45 with these.

In terms of tyre wear, how do they compare to the OEM Bridgestones? I've managed to get about 50,000km out of the Bridgestones. Can this be achievable on the Kumho's? I do a lot of driving so I prefer a tyre that will last.

Also how good are these in the wet compared to the OEM Bridgestones?

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Similar kilometers, in the wet shouldn't be too bad compared to OEM, they should be very close to OEM tyres in all aspects i'd assume, expect price and maybe road noise.

So they're a nosier tyre you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Similar kilometers, in the wet shouldn't be too bad compared to OEM, they should be very close to OEM tyres in all aspects i'd assume, expect price and maybe road noise.

Yeah i believe they might be from friends experience, but it wouldn't be bad or over the top. They are a road tire as well so they shouldn't cause excessive road noise, maybe a little more then OEM.

cheaper tyre
    more noise
    better grip
    better wet grip

Well summed up guys

A negative to add to the list is apparently they don't have much rim protection around the inside edges but meh.. can't expect everything for a budget tyre.

I've been running a set of KU31 225/40/18s on my Gen1 MPS3 for about 10 months (about 8-9000Ks) and they seem to be wearing pretty well - still got Ecsta "indent" on centre band of rear tyres, no Ecsta on the fronts but tread depth still comparable to backs.

I don't remember them being any noisier than the OEMs but I got the car with the OEMs near end of life. I feel very confident on them when having a spirted drive, but then I again I probably don't throw the car around as much as others on the forum may do. Seem fine in the wet as well, but I don't tend to drive that quickly in the rain.

One thing I have noticed though, when you plant your foot, even when rolling, is the wheelspin and traction control light. This will happen all the way through first and up to 60-70 kmh in second. In the wet I have had them spinning at 90+ kmh in third so I have been comtemplating getting a stickier set for the front. This lack of grip especially noticable after driving a mates Focus RS....

I will add that I do have the HT tune with torque limiter removed so I'm assuming OEM would behave the same.

A question to others with torque limiter removed - is anyone running tyres that do not "light up" in first and second with the torque limiter removed ?

Semi/full slicks would be about the only thing... I get wheel spin through 4th in the wet... You have to realise that you're putting out a fair bit of grunt, looking at around decent 6-cylinder power, which is enough to lose traction... A standard XR6 our sv6 will easily lose traction in 1st and 2nd...

I have that problem with the torque limiter on in first and second with the OEM tyres in the dry. But then again I never drove the car with 100% tread on the tyres before (was bought second hand).

It's one of the flaws of these cars I reckon.. it can't be taken up to full potential in the lower gears because no traction!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlTee View Post
    I've been running a set of KU31 225/40/18s on my Gen1 MPS3 for about 10 months (about 8-9000Ks) and they seem to be wearing pretty well - still got Ecsta "indent" on centre band of rear tyres, no Ecsta on the fronts but tread depth still comparable to backs.

I don't remember them being any noisier than the OEMs but I got the car with the OEMs near end of life. I feel very confident on them when having a spirted drive, but then I again I probably don't throw the car around as much as others on the forum may do. Seem fine in the wet as well, but I don't tend to drive that quickly in the rain.

One thing I have noticed though, when you plant your foot, even when rolling, is the wheelspin and traction control light. This will happen all the way through first and up to 60-70 kmh in second. In the wet I have had them spinning at 90+ kmh in third so I have been comtemplating getting a stickier set for the front. This lack of grip especially noticable after driving a mates Focus RS....

I will add that I do have the HT tune with torque limiter removed so I'm assuming OEM would behave the same.

A question to others with torque limiter removed - is anyone running tyres that do not "light up" in first and second with the torque limiter removed ?

Thanks for the info on wheelspin - makes me feel better that I'm not the only one and it's my right foot's fault - not totally my choice of "cheaper" tyre

11. Default

MPS6 = no wheel spin

Ah OK now I understand - that must be why the MPS 6s seems to initially dart ahead of me before I fly past them

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    MPS6 = no wheel spin
    Unless is 2wd mode, then in the wet also fries up all through to (& including) 4th!!
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    MPS6 = no wheel spin
    Not always true. I took off in the wet today and had all 4 wheels spinning through 1st and 2nd.. finally got traction in 3rd.. never had this happen before today

Does anyone know the price difference between 215/45 and 225/45 with the KU31's?

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    Does anyone know the price difference between 215/45 and 225/45 with the KU31's?
    Think it was about $30 a tyre... From 180 to 150 respectively