User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Clarion NX-501a Today

Amazing youre both using the same part AND it works for different vendors.

2 days to go !!!

Looking good Micky. I'm watching your thread with utter keeness as I'm thinking of heading this way. Thanks for posting up the links to the different parts too. Am learning heaps on what needs to be gathered before attempting the install. Hope it all goes well for your install

Well. Just dropped the car off. Asked the guys to take photos as well. They were more than happy to take them at the different stages of the install. Let's hope they remember. For those who are interested I will post the pictures etc this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyACT View Post
    Well. Just dropped the car off. Asked the guys to take photos as well. They were more than happy to take them at the different stages of the install. Let's hope they remember. For those who are interested I will post the pictures etc this evening.
    Nice one Mickey. They seen like a good shop. Hope it all goes to plan.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

ohhhhh exciting :P

Ok, the install went brilliantly. Looks awesome and very user friendly. All Steering Wheel controls work, inbuilt Sat Nav Screen works (obviously not sound though - no biggie the Clarion has a better unit that even tells you when you are exceeding the speedlimit - I got that a lot this afternoon - as it knows where you are it knows the speed limit....) and you can toggle between Sat and Info. Climate Control Displayed, and the top part of the screen that used to show audio and bluetooth now says Mazda 3 and still says welcome, Bose Sound when car started and Goodbye when you turn off. Climate controls still pulsate according to the direction you turn the dial, but no more beeping sound when you push dual, off or auto which is no big deal. The guys at Audiotech loved the Connects2 interface cables - worked without any dramas at all.

Here are some pics:

Stereo Out:

Attachment 9278

Dash View of Stereo with iPod Screen on:

Attachment 9279

Screen showing voulume whilst being controlled from the steering wheel:

Attachment 9280

Sat Nav Screen:

Attachment 9281

Dash Display:

Attachment 9282

More to come in next post.....
    Last edited by MikeyACT; 28-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Dash Display - Sat Nav:

Attachment 9283

Reverse Camera - Outside:

Attachment 9284

Reverse Camera - Garage:

Attachment 9285

Reverse Camera on Car:

Attachment 9286Attachment 9287

All in all it is awsome and sounds fantastic, certainly was worth it. They did a fantastic job and it looks great.

Another shot of the reverse camera:

Attachment 9288

(can't wait for the new number plates to arrive so I can put on the Lakin Brackets).

Sat Nav Antenna:

Attachment 9289

All I can say is - I absolutely love it....

That's pretty sweet Mickey. I would be really chuffed. I really like integration. Looks like it always should have been there!!

The camera looks nice as well. You'll have to work out distances as it looks to be a fish eye lens which can through depth perception a bit.

What about Iphone Bloothooth control? Probably no better than the Mazda?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Just found this little rave about your Clarion...

Feature Packed Clarion NX501A AVN Arrives

Man it's packed with stuff. Did you opt for the Ipod Video Cable? Seems it can stream full video!! Tricky!

...and you can have a different DVD playing in the back of the car so you can do tunes in the front? Great for the family holiday.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Mikey. It's on the board!
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Awesome stuff mate!

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    That's pretty sweet Mickey. I would be really chuffed. I really like integration. Looks like it always should have been there!!

The camera looks nice as well. You'll have to work out distances as it looks to be a fish eye lens which can through depth perception a bit.

What about Iphone Bloothooth control? Probably no better than the Mazda?

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Just found this little rave about your Clarion...

Feature Packed Clarion NX501A AVN Arrives

Man it's packed with stuff. Did you opt for the Ipod Video Cable? Seems it can stream full video!! Tricky!

...and you can have a different DVD playing in the back of the car so you can do tunes in the front? Great for the family holiday.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Mikey. It's on the board!
    Yeah am getting used to the camera - just nice to see what is behind. iPhone control is perfect.... full access to iPhone contacts on the screen - I prefer that than speaking to the Mazda one - it kept repeating things - but I guess that is personal taset. Yeah you can also stream video from an ipod/iphone but you need the Clarion cable for that and that is $150.00 (I did not get that at this stage) but for noraml audio the iphone/ipod cable is fine. Yeah it does also have dual zone - so movies in the back music in the front. Pretty sure that the Sat Nave also uses the contacts from your phone - I think I saw something on the screen but will check again later.....

Very nice unit Looks a perfect fit.

Dang, that does look good!. and the reverse camera is awesome... i should get that!.. Have to say i do miss having a volume knob at the moment, it was easy to turn down and back up, but i think i found my mute button on mine.

It totally looks Choice!

Looks fantastic .... Something to keep in mind for the future.

Another shot of the reverse camera:

Attachment 9288

(can't wait for the new number plates to arrive so I can put on the Lakin Brackets).

Sat Nav Antenna:

Attachment 9289

All I can say is - I absolutely love it....
    Hi Mikey, just wondering if the camera is switched on by the head unit, what I mean is that when installing it, all you need for the camera is a power source and connect the connector to the back of the head unit, and the head unit will communicate with the ECU recognizing the car is in reverse and activate the camera. And do you know if the installer had to remove the rear bumper to install the camera?

Oh, is the GPS antenna routed through the vents near the windscreen. Cheers!

P.S. the installation and the unit looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by K4neX View Post
    Hi Mikey, just wondering if the camera is switched on by the head unit, what I mean is that when installing it, all you need for the camera is a power source and connect the connector to the back of the head unit, and the head unit will communicate with the ECU recognizing the car is in reverse and activate the camera. And do you know if the installer had to remove the rear bumper to install the camera?

Oh, is the GPS antenna routed through the vents near the windscreen. Cheers!

P.S. the installation and the unit looks awesome

Hey there,

I know that the unit has an input on the back of it dedicated for the reverse camera. The camera has two connectors on it - power and video. The video lead goes to the dedicated connector on the back of the stereo. In relation to power/activation I am not 100 % sure how this is achieved. When you put the car in reverse, the unit automatically switches its view to the reverse camera and the camera comes on, but you can also turn the camera on from the main screen of the unit without the car being in reverse..... sorry not sure how this is achieved but it works well.

The camera replaces one of the existing number plate lights. The number plate lights on the BK and BL are the same. All that needs to done is that you use a small screwdriver to gently lower the 2 clips that hold the light in place and slide the light back - it comes off. A small amount of the bumper needs to be filed to accommodate the camera (but you can not see this as it is under the bumper - the camera is square and the original hole needs to be squared off on one end for the camera/light to click in). So no need to remove the bumper. You can get access to everything behind the bumper.

The antenna is routed behind the dashboard and the lead comes up in the gap between the windscreen and the dashboard - not through any of the vents. I have had a aftermarket GPS in a car before and the put the antenna at the top of the windscreen and ran the lead up the pillar but it did not have an airbag in it so I am guessing that the did not want to mess around with the airbag.

Also, the 'Mode' button on the steering wheel brings up the main menu on the unit and allows you to scroll through all the different options - iPod, Phone, Navigation, Reverse Camera etc and when you stop on one, it automatically activates it.

Yeah, am very happy with the install. They did a great job....

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    Dang, that does look good!. and the reverse camera is awesome... i should get that!.. Have to say i do miss having a volume knob at the moment, it was easy to turn down and back up, but i think i found my mute button on mine.

It totally looks Choice!
    Thanks Brackaus.... am very happy with the install. The reverse camera is awesome - yeah you should get one. Like the video you did on yours... cool... still getting used to mine butting in when the music is playing telling me I am exceeding the speed limit.... lol....

Thanks Brackaus.... am very happy with the install. The reverse camera is awesome - yeah you should get one. Like the video you did on yours... cool... still getting used to mine butting in when the music is playing telling me I am exceeding the speed limit.... lol....
    Yeah, i was looking at camera's last night.... >.< should of got it installed when i did the car! oh well. With the SatNav, can you adjust the lvl of Mute on the device? I found out i can on mine if you go into AUDIO settings (not sure what yours is) and told it only to mute 20db when the phone is in use, other wise don't mute the music. There must be some way of doing this!... Do you know what base OS the Clarion runs?
    OMG pressing the right pedal makes me go forward!...but pressing the middle doesn't.. hows does that work?... aliens...

Quote Originally Posted by Brackaus View Post
    Yeah, i was looking at camera's last night.... >.< should of got it installed when i did the car! oh well. With the SatNav, can you adjust the lvl of Mute on the device? I found out i can on mine if you go into AUDIO settings (not sure what yours is) and told it only to mute 20db when the phone is in use, other wise don't mute the music. There must be some way of doing this!... Do you know what base OS the Clarion runs?
    Yeah, there are some options for the SATNAV and warnings, will investigate them this afternoon and see what I want on and off.... not sure about the base OS.... what does the Pioneer use?

Yeah, there are some options for the SATNAV and warnings, will investigate them this afternoon and see what I want on and off.... not sure about the base OS.... what does the Pioneer use?
    Windows ce... looking on what mods 2 do.
    OMG pressing the right pedal makes me go forward!...but pressing the middle doesn't.. hows does that work?... aliens...

Absoulutley wonderful. I gotta find someone in Melbourne that that can do this quality of work

Did you replace the original sub/speakers

If so, how/where etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast