User Tag List

Thread: When I thought all was well - CEL HELL!!

1. Default When I thought all was well - CEL HELL!!

Well..... (lets an angered sigh out)

I picked the car up from Mazda last Friday after they had replace the 3 blown Coil Packs and run some diagnostics on the cause and checking of the wiring.
    The car ran fine over ther weekend until Sunday night driving back from my brothers mechanics when my CEL came on. Everything felt normal, temp guage stayed in the usual spot, no big difference.
    I got home and decided to detatch the negative battery terminal to see if it would stop the CEL... which it did - great.
    Last night however CEL came back on. I thought ill take it back to Mazda so i did this morning. there all day, they said the code on the MDF (or whatever they use) was relating to the left Oxy Sensor - they tested both oxy sensors and they are fine, but something in the loom or somewhere else is causing the ECU to think there is a problem with an Oxy Sensor - So once again, my car sleeps at Mazda

Any ideas what it may be? ALso anyone think its related to the issue at the panel shop and my 3 blown coil packs? im really angry, i just cant believe its a co incidence that this has all happened since my car was under someone elses care...... i really want to know exactly what happened there..

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

Check the wiring in to the ECU.

or the pnp harness..somethings gotta be lose somewhere.

4. Default

Oh forgot to say I'm not running the standback and pnp harness it's all back to stock for now. I'm hoping it's not connected to when the pnp was on... I doubt it

fu*k feel for you man. nothing worse than car troubles, especially electrical. good luck with it all, hopefully the problem will be small and ez to fix

Good luck Ant

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

check the exhaust sensor! my neo had the exact problem mazda couldnt find it.. They said the sensor was fine i took it to them 2 times to newcastle( car was running rough), than the CEL came on i cleared it and took it to them again once again couldnt find it. So when the cel came on i took it to mazda in Singleton (my mazda dealer now for 3 years) GEUSS WHAT it was? yep u got it exhaust sensor..

8. Default

Spot on Luke thankfully my mazda dealer figured that out it was an oxy sensor gunked up with carbon so they cleaned and all ok no CEL
    thanks for your help guys

The cause would be because of the previous miss, so if your still arguing with the panel shop, you should claim this too

10. Default

Yeah I thought that would be the case mate but luckily Mazda only charged me $55. Maybe I should invoice panel shop for that I mean that's a slab!

11. Default

HA! i can only laugh now - CEL IS BACK ON!!! FFS
    i dont know what to do, is there a way to read the codes without having to take it back to mazda? i do have a standback and pnp harness which i have not connected and i think you can plug a dashhawk in but i dont have one - i think ill take it back to see if its throwing the same code or if its something new - god its frustrating
    if it is the same code, regarding the oxy sensor, and if its clogged up again, does anyone know what could be causing it??
    your help is appreciated as im not sure what else it could be..

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |

Find a local member who can help you read it with their dash hawk. Some members use Torque on their Android phones to read and clear codes.
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 10-07-2011 at 09:16 PM.

13. Default

Thanks Yeldarb, im going to take it back to mazda tomorrow as what ever they did didnt fix it, so im sure they will wont to have another go (or maybe they wont ) then if still issues ill get one of the vic guys to give me a hand - ive been looking at some OBD2 plug in bluetooth devices on ebay but not sure which one will be compatible with the 3 mps
    im sure there is a thread on here somewhere about them

will let you know what mazda say tomorrow

thanks again
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS

The Bluetooth OBD adapters don't work with IPhones. But will work Androids. The one I'd go for:
    http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/
    is WIFI. Will work with app Dash Command.

Good luck tomorrow.

15. Default

ok i just found out the code my car throwing (well the one it threw last week and now in at mazda again today) is the P0421 which is apparently Warm Up Catalyst
    will hear tonight or tomorrow if its throwing the same code this week but if so there is obviously something causeing the sensors to read this code all i know is its exhause related...
    any other clues, i have read some DP's can cause this, however i dont have one, i only have SRI and TIP

I'm wondering if something happened to the Oxy sensor when Mazda cleaned it. That's all I can think of

17. Default

Just heard from Mazda and apprently both my o2 sensors are stuffed -
    can someone explain that this could all stem from the first issue of the missing and blown coil packs? either way im just surprised and the panel shop have said they will pay for it, which leads me to suspect they know they stuffed up i just wish i knew what they did.....

Maybe possible the panel shop arced an electrical connection that spiked the coilpacks and o2 sensors?

I dunno, I'm just guessing

If the panel shop have agreed to pay for it I'd call that a win, albeit a bit of an inconvenient one

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    Maybe possible the panel shop arced an electrical connection that spiked the coilpacks and o2 sensors?

I dunno, I'm just guessing

If the panel shop have agreed to pay for it I'd call that a win, albeit a bit of an inconvenient one

That is a win. Well done. O2 sensors aren't cheap. One hell of a bill coming there way.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

20. Default

HA wouldnt believe it, my CEL has just come on again, after being fine for about 6 months. Same error code P0421 which is the Warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank1)

It is about 32 today and was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic so im hoping thats all it was, i guess i will find out when i start my car tomorrow.
    im wondering if the o2 sensor is clogged again, and why this is happening? is my car running ricjh, too much fuel firing??

Anyway, its weird, as i have basically return car to stock, ssp out, standback off (not that it had any maps on it) just SRI still on

Its making me want the new golf r even more now especially if this is going to cost me!
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS