User Tag List

Thread: Creation of a website and forum

Default Creation of a website and forum

Hello All

Given that I am in mining and have no idea on web pages etc, can anyone recomend or offer their services to create a basic webpage for a business that i wish to start.

It only needs to be simple with basic pages around company vision, legal, services we offer and some kind of mechanism by which a person can submit a document to me online.
    I would also like to create a forum by which we can build a community of people that may wish to use the services of the company.

I have very little idea about this stuff so any help, tips, advice etc is appreciated.

Thanks
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

Maybe provide a bit more information on what it is you're trying to achieve (what kind of business/services) in order to define the scale of the system and potential growth. For example when you say services is this paid services, locally I assume? Do you want to be able to have people pay online via POS/POP? How many visitors do you think you'll have a day? This will lead to things like bandwidth, storage, speed and cost. Who will you target as customers - big miners or small miners? Either way you will probably need to invest in some web development as nothing scares potential customers away more than a crappy website.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

Thanks Nuliaj
    Service is placement of international mining professionals in australian roles
    No requirement for online payment
    Target market is Ireland/Europe/USA
    No idea of # of visitors etc
    Company has funds available for professional looking web development.
    Dont wont a "crappy website"
    Prefer to have a section where candidates can submit their resume and where employeers can submit request for info on candidates from our database.

Something along the lines of:
    Welcome to John Davidson & Associates Pty Ltd
    Timbo

14 Mazda BT50 xt Boss Kit
    13 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    10 VR 3 Neo
    08 CX9 Luxury (sold)
    09 VR 3 MPS Luxury (sold)

Sounds like your going into Recruitment Andy

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

You will most likely want a Linux server for this. If you are just starting out I'd recommend a virtual server, cloud based or not. For no technical support but good infrastructure id look at amazon web services. I can provide some advice in regards to infrastructure and the software required to get you going however I'm not a developer. I have a few contacts in the business however (work in web hosting).

I'm in melb this weekend but if you would like some advice I can point you in the right direction.. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Just to add also for any readers HIGHLY recommend NOT hosting the website through the same company the develops it. If things go sour you may find your website offline and them claiming property of the code. Find a good webhost and outsource the development.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    You will most likely want a Linux server for this. If you are just starting out I'd recommend a virtual server, cloud based or not.
    I agree! You should look in to virtual private servers that are Linux based. I'm personally with IX webhosting and I took the windows based VPS as that was better for me. But they also have a good Linux server offer that you should look into.

If you are just starting out id recommend nothing other than Amazon WebServices (EC2). http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/
    No support, but very cost effective, very redundant and very easy to setup.
    Just PLEASE make sure to setup the firewall properly so not just anyone can SSH to the server...

Almost EVERY webhost I have ever looked at that was cost effective was dodgy, I know..
    There are only really three companies I would webhost with in Australia;
    ICO - Hosting | ICO | Serious Hosting. We Guarantee It. | Call us on 1300 426 316 OR
    Bulletproof networks Dedicated Server Hosting - Powered by Bulletproof
    Micron21 - http://www.micron21.com/

Problem is, neither of these are cheap. Cheap webhosting is like a cheap car, dont cry when it blows up or wont work in the morning. Dont expect all your files to be there when something breaks and dont expect it to perform well.

STAY AWAY FROM
    AussieHQ
    Jumba
    MelbourneIT
    OZServers ETC ETC

If anyone wants some advice etc, always happy to provide feedback and guidance.
    Last edited by Jmac; 07-07-2011 at 08:15 PM.

-= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Jmac out of interest what do you think of Net registry?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMPS View Post
    Jmac out of interest what do you think of Net registry?
    For what? Hosting or buying domain names?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    For what? Hosting or buying domain names?
    Both. I use then (through Planet domain) to purchase domain names and host a dogy website that i so need to update.

I use crazy domains for purchasing (Cheap!).
    For hosting - it depends how much you pay, how many users will be on the site and if you are planning on making money for it.

For example - id never run this site through them!
    Even when this server was running with Neural Networks it was MUCH... MUCH slower - I am sure older members will remember how fast the site felt after the move!!

It also depends on weather its a shared webhosting server, or dedicated.

Shared = log into control panel and the physical machine/resources are shared by multiple websites (sometimes VPS)
    VDS = Virtual Dedicated Server, Either a stand alone dedicated server carved up to multiple virtual servers, or a cluster of dedicated servers redundantly connected to a SAN hosting multiple dedicated servers. ALWAYS ask technical details about the setup.

Each type of hosting satisfies a need/budget so it really depends on yours

More than happy to exchange FB adds/Email addresses/Phone numbers if anyone would like some feedback.
    Last edited by Jmac; 07-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD

This man he knows ^^

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Thanks all for the feedback.

Will be discussing further with potential partners this w'end.