User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADVICE - Muffers - MAGNAFLOW?

ah can any exhaust shop do resonators? im getting the magnaflow cbe from a local dealer

Yeah, any exhaust shop can do resonators. Personally I'd try without it, the system your buying has probably been tuned to your car. You can always go back to get it fitted if drone is a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    This is the heart of my system:
    Attachment 9021
    Hey brad
    Did the magnaflow just hook up to your stock catback in place of the original muffler?
    Was there a bit of work to get it attached and lined up (i.e. adding/bending piping etc), or was it just 'slap it in, weld, done'?
    Cheers
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Hey brad
    Did the magnaflow just hook up to your stock catback in place of the original muffler?
    Was there a bit of work to get it attached and lined up (i.e. adding/bending piping etc), or was it just 'slap it in, weld, done'?
    Cheers
    Brad had it fitted with a custom cat-back system at the same time.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Brad had it fitted with a custom cat-back system at the same time.
    ...what he said...

I went to this exhaust shop just to get some funky tips...then asked about mufflers, then mufflers turn into a cat back...Oh well

I read a little about Magnaflow, heard some Youtube footage. But really didn't do alot of research.

Luckily they had a supplier with the one I needed. So decision made on the spot. Do it...Did it. One of the best things I've done to the car.

The Muffler itself is stainless, the rest of the system was from the shop in mild steel.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Thanks guys.

Would there be much of a noise difference between a stock catback with a magnaflow and stock resonator and a your cb brad?

I'm assuming yes - but just because of bigger piping?

Sent from my evil apple using TapaCrash

That was the first plan. Just the muffler. And there definitely would be a noise difference. It would be louder I think. There all about power and sound, so they're designed to be more aurally pleasing. Power increase, not much, but that's what the DP was for.

You could use the same muffler as me, just make it an axle back. Remember, the Magnaflow muffler I'm using didn't come with tips and the piping to the rear bumper outlets. That's all custom too.

So you could cut off your old tips and exhaust outlets to your new Magnflow to save some dollars I guess. But if you're going to that much trouble to do an ABE custom all the way Yo! (quote by Corz:P)
    Redbull is DEAD!!

I have an axle back custom system with the Magnaflow muffler and 115mm tips. Sound is a bit louder than stock, definitely better. Stock muffler had huge hot spot (apparently caused by "T" junction inside muffler). The Magnaflow has a diverter to smooth the internal flow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car shots april 2011 020.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	9032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car shots april 2011 014.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	9033  

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmps View Post
    I have an axle back custom system with the Magnaflow muffler and 115mm tips. Sound is a bit louder than stock, definitely better. Stock muffler had huge hot spot (apparently caused by "T" junction inside muffler). The Magnaflow has a diverter to smooth the internal flow.
    Like your style
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmps View Post
    The red bull now has a twin

Thanks for the info guys.
    Brad, I'm only trying to save money on the cat/axleback to fund a downpipe ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    The red bull now has a twin

Thanks for the info guys.
    Brad, I'm only trying to save money on the cat/axleback to fund a downpipe ASAP

I know your pain about the funding. Should be an easy job for the exhaust shop to weld on your original tips. Just don't look around the store or read any catalogs or you might weaken.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

I know your pain about the funding. Should be an easy job for the exhaust shop to weld on your original tips. Just don't look around the store or read any catalogs or you might weaken.
    Nah, I'm getting new tips. I hate the ugly stock ones. Those cataloges work dont they...not the end of the world though if you come out with extra shiny bits

I just need to get as many mods done while my gf is in Japan, before she can come back and yell at me for tinkering.

13. Default

Hi Everyone,

For anyone interested, I went to local exhaust shop and they said best bet was to remove muffler and rear resonator first and see how I like it.

This was done and cost me $80.

Definelty worth it, with just the muffler removed and rear resonator, I am fairly happy for the moment, until I get round to doing full exhaust later in year..
    The car now has a nice note, I tested cruising at 60 and along FWY etc, and does not drone at all, fairly quiet unless giving it a bit, it is slightly loud inbetween gear shifts though thats about it though.

I have had my stock muffler removed.. and i can tell you it is is LOUD!, and it drones! on de- acceleration the drone is ear piercing!! i also have a catted cp-e DP.. ran this setup for 6 months, got eventually sick of it, and put the stock muffler back in just last week..! My opinion. if your car is daily driven, dont take out the muffler, replace it.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Duk View Post
    I have had my stock muffler removed.. and i can tell you it is is LOUD!, and it drones! on de- acceleration the drone is ear piercing!! i also have a catted cp-e DP.. ran this setup for 6 months, got eventually sick of it, and put the stock muffler back in just last week..! My opinion. if your car is daily driven, dont take out the muffler, replace it.
    either your definition of loud is different from mine, or your new DP must make the setup sound alot different..

my car barely makes a noise at idle or cruising, only when on throttle and this then sounds fine and WRX'y

for $80, i think it is worth trying it, and then if not fussed, then add a muffler.. my 2 cents.

Ciao
    Last edited by cargle; 18-07-2011 at 06:31 PM.

I'm pretty much sold on the magnaflow, but the smallest inlet size is 2.5 and the gen 2 uses 2.25 piping.
    Will exhaust shops be able to put a gasket on there to make it connect?
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Cheers

Troy, this one is for you buddy!!

To help with your question. An SP25 owner bought my OEM MPS Axle back muffler and it hooked up easily to his OEM SP25 system. Sounded good too!

But if it was me, I'd stage it like this:

Purchase/Install 1. 3" Axle back with a 3 inch inletted New muffler and 4inch tips to existing OEM system.

2. DP install, plus new 3" piece from cat back to axle back, including resonator.

I dont see any big drama connecting a 2.25 outlet (is OEM really that small?) to 3" inlet while you wait for the DP.

Im assuming you're buying a 3" DP? Shame to hook it up too a 2.5 inch muffler.

Anyway, shoot me down, but that's how I'd do it.
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 19-07-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

How much was your custom catback if you dome mind me asking brad?

Sounds like a good plan.
    I'm definitely going with the 2xs downpipe when it comes time, so 3" I assume.

Stock piping seems to be 2.5 from cat-axle, then 2.25 from just before the muffler to the tips.

Yeah, 2.5 inch sounds better.

If I remember rightly it included:
    Resonator
    Muffler
    2 x 4inch tips ($140 total, got ripped)
    All done in Mild Steel.

About $1300 I think. Hmmm, I'll have to find the receipt. But about that.

Who was going to do the DP install?

Also I thought Troy was developing a system for the GenII.

About $1300 I think.
    Yeah, thats what i was worried about. For that money i could almost have a dp or get the Borla system. Im looking for a bit of a better noise at the moment, but dont want to spend that much.

Who was going to do the DP install?
    Somewhere local, around act or maybe Sydney if I have to...or if troy does clone himself as many have suggested...

Also I thought Troy was developing a system for the GenII.
    Thats an option...if it's a good price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast