User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ingalls "The Stiffy" Engine Torque Damper

I must admit. I was interested in this as well. I'll have to look under the bonnet when I get home.
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 02-08-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Dang I'm also disappointed to hear that it didn't work!

I dont think a new plate will work, but I'm open to suggestions. I'll take a picture of the issue on the weekend. I was too disappointed to look at it any further lol

Yea i will most likely return it, but I will need to see how much shipping is. cause seriously, by the time I ship it back and after any restocking fees, it may be better to just keep it as an ornament lol

I see your problem now...

I know I drive a GENII, but the location of the power steering fluid must be the same...

US Mazdaspeed

Australian MPS (GENII)

Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

yes exactly that!

as you can see, making a new plate to mount to the strut tower would be impossibe. Might look around for other mounting points
    Last edited by lup15; 03-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.

hmm this would be tempting.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

if you cbf'd installing i'll take it off ya hands.
    saves postage and all that

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    yes exactly that!

as you can see, making a new plate to mount to the strut tower would be impossibe. Might look around for other mounting points
    It might require a bit of thought, but I don't think it would be impossible. I'd still maybe take it to Troy and see what he thinks. If he can come up with a solution, it might also mean others can buy one and Troy's "Aus Fitment Kit" lol
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

8. Default

Ok, thought id share my experiences with the Ingalls Stiffy. After purchasing a CPe REM and not getting around to install it, i was lucky enough to jump in a friends car who had a REM in. Being the old bugga i am (and not that a REM is a bad idea), i just wasnt happy with the vibes he was experiencing through his car at startup etc, so thought id look elsewhere.
    After a bit of research i decided to go down the Ingalls path. The biggest setback for us RHD vehicles is obviously that the mounts foul with our brake fluid res, BUT if your handy with steel and fabrication work the redesign of both plates is quite easy, all you need to do is move both mount points forward approx 65mm. (I must mention that i made a new 'arm' section out of 5mm plate for the strut mount as the original piece i cut off is too short to get the right angle and needs to be longer) Check my pic below for the mod. Everything clears well and the results are awesome. Previously i was scooting all over the place when planting my foot; Now ive got a heap of grip in a straight line and can actually concentrate on whats ahead of me without worrying who i might take out in the lane beside me. Plus there are no vibes on startup as you would experience with a stiff REM.
    Ive marked in red roughly where the original mount points were.
    Good luck!! (Oh and before anyone asks, sorry but i wont be making any as i have very little time these days for this stuff)
    Last edited by EX-XR6T; 09-05-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks so much for sharing that!
    I presume the 6 would have the same layout issue, that might just be the fix we need

That's brilliant, well done!

11. Default

Not sure about the 6, im sure a 6 owner could check the engine bay layout. Im wondering how the drive-chain distributes power differently due to being AWD compared to the 3 though and if this would be a factor to consider when looking at the engine mounts, so might pay to look into that.
    Again im not saying a REM is a bad idea (many people love them), the Ingalls is just another option out there to try :-)

great work there. glad someone went through with the modding of the bracket and shows it is possible.

I've still got my Stiffy (brand new) if anyone wants to give this a go. I didnt proceed any further due to the brake booster getting in the way and couldn't be stuffed getting a new bracket made up. But I'm glad that this is possible with minor mods to the bracket

Mmm, have a mate who is handy with a welder...

could be worth a try to see if it can be made to fit a 6...

Does anyone know of any off the shelf solutions aimed at the Australian market?

Always wanted a Damper like this.

Or maybe someone should measure and mass replicate that design. Or send the measurements to the manufacturer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12