User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Washes

Default Car Washes

I was at the local car wash the other day with my bucket and mitt which apparently you're not meant to have. I hose my car down with the high power water then with soap. I then fill the bucket with the soapy water and wash my car by hand. The owner then chastised me for using the bucket to which I responded that there was no way the brush was going any where near my car.

He then explained that he uses the brush on his BMW and that the only reason a brush would damage your paint work is if it wasn't rinsed and clean from previous use.

Opinions please.

Personally, I think they just want you to keep putting the coins in the machine to make money instead of having a bucket.

I think he is partly correct. If the brush had grit in it, it would scratch the car. The recommended way to wash is to use 2 buckets. One for the soapy water and one to rinse off your mitt, and if you brought 2 buckets to the car wash, I think he would be REALLY pi**ed off.

Check this out - ZAS Car Detailing Products : Detailing Library - Washing & Drying
    Trying to keep it subtle ... | COBB AccessPort | COBB DP | CP-e HPFP | CorkSport TMIC | TurboSmart BPV | Denso ITV22| CorkSport Boost Tubes | SURE Full3 Aeros | SURE REM (Street) | SURE AGS SS Shift Knob | 2XS SSP + SURE CounterShift | Speedline Front Strut Brace | Whiteline RSB | Prima Paint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I was at the local car wash the other day with my bucket and mitt which apparently you're not meant to have. I hose my car down with the high power water then with soap. I then fill the bucket with the soapy water and wash my car by hand. The owner then chastised me for using the bucket to which I responded that there was no way the brush was going any where near my car.

He then explained that he uses the brush on his BMW and that the only reason a brush would damage your paint work is if it wasn't rinsed and clean from previous use.

Opinions please.
    Personally i would never use the brush

Those.....brushes.....never....touch....my.....car

Ever

They're made from wire and camel's pubic hair and will scratch faster than the Tassie Devil with a case of hives

To say nothing of the dirt and crap that gets caught in them that no manner of high pressure spraying will ever remove out of them

The owner doesn't want you using your own bucket and mitt because he wants you to keep feeding money into his machine or

You might as well use sandpaper

Edit: FWIW the detergent these places use also isn't the best. It's industrial strength stuff that's designed to clean quickly. The downside of this is that it will also go a fair way to stripping off any waxes you've previously applied

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 25-06-2011 at 11:51 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

He was only saying that because you were taking up the wash bay from another user who would have been paying money to ruin their paintjob with his shitty brush.

You are right that those brushes shouldn't go near your car, but it is also perhaps a little rude to BYO gear and take up a wash bay while you use it. Might as well just wash it at home with a hose.

The Carwash brush is evil not to mention the cleaning product that comes out of them, never use the brush

I think you should wash your car at home.

People have gotten use to going to the car wash, as have I but I think we are allowed to wash our cars again at home, like we use to.

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/con...ons.asp?bhcp=1

Buy a pressure washer with a foam attachment and do it at home

Thanks everyone. I will avoid the brush at all costs as I suspected. I don't have a high pressure hose though which is why I enjoyed the car wash.

I bought a Karcher from Bunnings for about $80. The pressure's not great (as you'd expect for an $80 pressure sprayer) but for washing the car it works fine

If you can't be seen washing your car at home as in, the backyard get a trigger hose.

I live near a car wash, so I go and hose off all the excess dirt with high pressure water, then drive home and wash the car with buckets (don't have a hose lol).

Just throw some buckets of clean water over it, then take my time washing it, rinsing as I go.

I've gone to the car was from time to time to use the high pressure hose too. Works well under the guards

Just go there after hours and use the bucket. That's what a lot of people do.

Borrowed my Dads Karcher but f**k it, going to go after hours next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAS View Post
    Just go there after hours and use the bucket. That's what a lot of people do.

I've been to those car wash places a couple of times, but only after hours so I can use all my own stuff.

I would never touch my car with that mangy looking brush! I only ever use the water, and I've decided it's just easier to do it at home now, and if i need to wash it at night, i just turn the front light on. Managed to get a wash, dry, quick drive to get annoying water out if mirrors and a Prima Slick spray done in an hour fifteen....new record

Sent from my iPhone by Leetapatalk =P
    GENII 2009 MPS VR POV PACK | TIPS THANKS TO MAZDA3MPS (IAN) | KUMHO KU36 235/40/18 TYRES | PRIMA PAINT PROTECTION BY ZAS | LAKIN CUSTOM PLATES | MPS & OZMPSCLUB.COM BRUSHED ALUMINIUM DECALS (THEY COUNT AS MODS RIGHT?)| WISHLIST...60 DURO REAR ENGINE MOUNT | RIMS PAINTED/GT RIMS

I would never never let one of those brushes touch my car.
    Seen a contractor gyuy in a car wash one day cleaning out his ute tray which was full of dirt and stone.
    He was well gone before the next user arrived. No rinse out of the brush so the new user had no idea he was doing the equivalent of a grit blast on his car.
    Wouldn.t let the hand wash places touch my car for the same reason. Diotto the Mazda service centre.

I had a massive argument with one car wash place when he challenged me for using my own gear. To offset the issue of use pay my wife was feeding coin to the machine all the time. He claimed the bucket method took to long. So I dumped it and stayed there for another 20minutes with nothing happening. Then asked how long was too long.

19. Default

I think everyone has to be washed his car at home and avoid this type of brushes.

Id never use the brush at a car wash too, not even if you paid me...................

I tend to wash mine at home or go to a trusted car wash cafe where they do it by hand!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast