User Tag List

Thread: HELP!! Panel shop hell - now 3mps wont start

1. Default HELP!! Panel shop hell - now 3mps wont start

hi guys,
    didnt see a Help section so thought id put it in the tech section as im sure one of you are "techy" enough to know the problem

So i took my car on monday to a panel shop to get a dint repaired, quite minor and when i rang today to make sure it was ready for pick up they advised that it was all finished BUT they cant get it to start.... !! as you would imagine i was pretty angry but i thought id wait till i went to see the car as i have had a couple of mods SRI, TIP and Standback with PNP harness which is not connected at the moment jsut runnuning the bypass lead so still on stock ECU.
    i was hoping it was something to do with that or maybe petrol, however when i got down there i went to start it and it would even catch, would chug chug chug and nothing, then a puff of white grey smoke from the driver side under the intercooler.
    this really scared me, it kinda looked electrical smoke like something was shorting plus the panel guy said he noticed it was blowing an engine fuse (number 65 or something) but according to the manual it is an engine fuse..... WHY i Ask??

Any help would be great, s spoke to my mechanic he thinks its suspect maybe water into some electrical points, or even in the spark plugs, he is having a look tomorrow but thinks it will be an electrical fault.
    just FYI they didnt remove any panels so shouldnt have tripped or unplugged any hoses accidently. my worst fear was someone took it for a burn, and puyshed it too hard and something major has happened but im sure a repretable panel works would not condone this.
    ive had to leave it up there and will get it towed in the morning to this mechanic i know for further inspection but any of your help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
    2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

no idea what the problem is... all i know is, the panel shop should be paying for the repair bill

Are u running a standard flash on teh ecu? if so Take the standback off... try again...

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

The standback can be taken off very quickly and with ease.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

sorry miss read :P.. its not connected :P

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

sounds like spark plug coil pack....
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

4. Default

yeah one of the panel guys reckoned spark plug coil pack - expensive to replace? reason they blow?\

thanks luke

Not sure, as i have never had to replace on... ( touch wood)

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

If u take ur IC off you should see if its got hot. will look different to all teh others..OR smell them .. ( doesnt sound like a god idea but will lead you to the one thats blown)

For that reason I always record my mileage on the car and let them know I have recorded it... That will then say if they need to move the car from the workshop, for future reference to anyone ??????? But sorry can't help with this issue.

7. Default

thanks guys for your help, i have booked a toe truck tomorrow to take to my mechanic, hopefully when we take intercooler off we will find a shot spark plug coil pack, otherwise i dont know what it may be. any other suggestions what to look at would be appreciated

thanks again

It should run on 3 cylinders. Maybe not a coil pack or plug.

Is the PNP harness removed? Or just the standback and a bypass plug used?

If you still have the PNP harness in, remove that and plug the ECU in directly.

Otherwise, it could be a crank trigger wire.

9. Default

Hi Troy
    The PNP harness was connected when this happened but only with the bypass wire so not connected to the Standback - i have since removed PNP and its just standard wiring into ECU
    i have just been with my mechanic and discovered the issue well one of the issues why the car not starting - see pictures below - 1 blown coil pack 2 other melted coil packs - the question is, what has caused it?

the only good one compared to the bad

2006 AB Mazda 3 MPS
    | 2XS SRI | PG TIP | SURE T3 Street REM | Bilstein B8 & King Spring Suspension |
    ********Car is now for sale PM for details********

Never seen that before.

Obviously it must be something the panel shop did.
    Did they run the battery flat and tried to start it with jumper leads and caused some sort of a spike ?
    Did they have to arc weld something on the car ?
    I once burnt 1 coil pack due to washing the engine bay with water (idiot)

My guess, washing the engine down while its running. IF the panel shop had anything to do with it, that's the only way I could see that happening.
    Using an "easy-beat" to remove dents without disconnecting the battery, or jump starting it would most likely kill the ECU before that will happen. Unlikely though.

I recently had a coil pack go, but it still ran...hoping it didn't look like yours!

The genuine Mazda price was $300 each, Tridon sell a non-genuine one which is part number TIC240, or if you can wait a week you could buy genuine from USA and save a lot of money. I got them for $83USD each

14. Default

thanks for all your suggestions, im going to speak to the panel shop again on monday and find out exactly what they did, if they washed it when it failed to start etc as they said they started it quite a few times during the week - my thought maybe they washed it the day i went to pick it up then it didnt start which leads me to think maybe water was involved..
    Thanks Andy B for that info on the part.

When cleaning the engine i put condoms around the coil packs + zip tie, i lay a towel in the of the cover as well. Than try not to get water near it.. I have never had a issue as yet ( touch wood)

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by toine888 View Post
    Hi Troy
    The PNP harness was connected when this happened but only with the bypass wire so not connected to the Standback - i have since removed PNP and its just standard wiring into ECU
    i have just been with my mechanic and discovered the issue well one of the issues why the car not starting - see pictures below - 1 blown coil pack 2 other melted coil packs - the question is, what has caused it?

the only good one compared to the bad

In that 2 pic was it shorting across to the rocker cover?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

16. Default

yeah it look like it shorted out and against the cover - hence the burn mark and possibly why it smoked the first time i tried to start it when i got to the panel shop
    im wondering if they washed it while it was on..... idiots if so

Good luck with it..

bro!!! only got a chance to catch this thread now!!! let me know what happens!

19. Default Wow

Hey guys anyone know what was the outcome to this problem.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my mps this week.
    I also have a standback pnp ecu. I dropped the car off to the panel shop for some paint. Then got a call to say all finished but car wont start. Called locksmith as we thought was the chip in the key. Nope. Then called the alarm guy mayb it was the alarm. Nope.
    Then we found a blown engine fuse, replaced that then the coil started smoking and we stopped. I got the car towed to the auto elec and he found the ecu was fried 6pins and also a coil. Now to disconnected the pnp and running just a new stock ecu

Quote Originally Posted by koval View Post
    Hey guys anyone know what was the outcome to this problem.

I have had the exact same thing happen to my mps this week.
    I also have a standback pnp ecu. I dropped the car off to the panel shop for some paint. Then got a call to say all finished but car wont start. Called locksmith as we thought was the chip in the key. Nope. Then called the alarm guy mayb it was the alarm. Nope.
    Then we found a blown engine fuse, replaced that then the coil started smoking and we stopped. I got the car towed to the auto elec and he found the ecu was fried 6pins and also a coil. Now to disconnected the pnp and running just a new stock ecu
    Geez that's terrible mate, so did you drive it there? I hope you get it sorted soon.......
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........