User Tag List

Thread: Gearbox noise - Sounds kinda nasty

Default Gearbox noise - Sounds kinda nasty

Hi guys,

Had a search around and couldn't find something that sounded exactly like my situation so I thought I'd ask the question.

I get my MPS serviced by a local mechanic, not mazda. As such, I don't think my gearbox oil would have been touched.

I've been getting noise from the gearbox or diff for some time now, but it's getting worse. It doesn't do it when it's cold. Only when warmed up, if it's taken a bit of a punishment for a little while it will be even louder.

It happens at almost all speeds, but not under any form of acceleration, just when coasting... Also, while coasting, if i push the clutch in the noise goes away.

I have a reasonable understanding of what diff wine sounds like, and this isn't a high pitch noise at all. More of a continual crunchy grind sound, posibly a metalic sound.

Any ideas?

-Edit: I'm at 73,000km / first owner / mps gen 2
    Last edited by kgb; 22-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.

Try this!!! Gen II @ 73km good to see ya driving her well!!

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/drive...il-thread.html

sounds like a clutch throw out bearing ... like this? YouTube - ‪Throw Out Bearing or Input Shaft Bearing?‬‏

Why don't you go to Mazda to have it looked at? As long as the log book has been followed by a licenced mechanic you are still covered by warranty.

Unless of course you are supposed to have had a gearbox oil service by now (I have a 6 so not sure of 3 specs)

This happens to me in my gen 1 as well from what i know it's normal it's got to do with the type of clutch.. It's come up on the forums before as long as the noise is gone when clutch is in..

If its noisey also while stopped I would suspect internal bearings of gearbox, if its only while car is moving it may be a drive line component also.

yeah, i'm working on getting it to mazda... hard to find time. I work 6 days a week. My mechanic is VACC acredited so I don't have any worries with warranty, although he does the usual country cars and I don't think a commodore or falcon would get a gearbox oil change in a lifetime lol. So was just kinda thinking that if it was needed under the 70k area, that he may have overlooked it.

I did have a look at the gearbox oil thread, I've never owned a manual car from new long enough to need a gearbox oil change. I'm not sure I'd discribe the noise as a woong woong. There's definately no gaps in the noise, it's constant when it's there, but it is a rotational sounding noise i guess.

Doesn't happen when not in gear regardless of clutch location. Only happens when in gear and coasting, it becomes very very apparent when in low speed car parks in first and i roll along in gear but with no foot on gas.

I thought it might be thrust bearing, but that would do it all the time i'm fairly sure. Even when stationary.

"It happens at almost all speeds, but not under any form of acceleration, just when coasting... Also, while coasting, if i push the clutch in the noise goes away."

This is one of my few current problems with my car, except the better described noise for it on mine is similar to brakes rubbing against the rotors, I know it's not the brakes because when I push the clutch in or the car rolls on neutral, it doesn't happen.

I have a very similar noise.... Sounds similar to what kh92 described.

Like a very light metal on metal sort of sound (similar to brakes rubbing against rotors but quieter). Goes away when I push the clutch in.

Mazda told me it's the thrust bearing but I am not convinced.

Thrust bearing will go away with the clutch all the way out, or all the way in (sometimes)...

Apparently flywheel can also make noises like this... when I was speaking to Mazda they told me thay had recently had a car in they were convinced was throwout bearing, until they pulled it apart and found a rooted flywheel...

<mutter> Stoopid Dual Mass Flywheels </mutter>

Chris.

yeah, i would say mine is a metal on metal grind. Gets worse after car has been driven for a while.

And i'm not sure if I was clear about it but it's not there when when cold, at all, wisper quiet.

it's just concerning me because it wasn't there at new, and it seems to have gotten progressively louder.

So does anyone know what this metal on metal brushing on eachother noise is? Mine's getting quite loud as the revs are higher...

This is the noise my car is making. I'm taking it to the Dealer this week. I sometimes get a clunk noise when taking off or slowing down or taking off from reversing

When I coast (no acceleration) I get this grinding noise and can't seem to know where it is coming from. It seems to happen when the tension is released from the gears

It is louder going slowly. At speed (60-70kph) it is there are goes away if you engage the clutch

2009 Mazda 3 MPS (BL) Luxury [Black Mica]

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

ok... I rang Garry & Warren Smith Mazda and they have booked my car in on Friday 2nd September to see what the problem is
    I couldn't drop off the car at a convenient time, so they have offered me a free loan car.... so top marks so far

I have brought this issue up here:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...-fixes-14.html

I wasn't sure but this thread seems to have more of an accurate description of the problem
    Last edited by slixx; 29-08-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Ok so I left work today and the sound was getting worse and louder. I went home and jacked up the car to see what was going on

I turned the front wheels to see if it would make the sound and it didn't but I found out the problem.

My left front wheel had 3 loose nuts. 3 of them were finger tight!!

The dealership was the last people to touch my Tyres when they rotated and aligned them 3 weeks ago. I can't see how 3 could have come loose by themselves.

I am still going to drop my car off so they can check if there any damage resulting of the loose nuts and to bring up some warranty issues i have

Anyone else had this problem before or can I pretty much blame the Dealership? Just want to get my ducks in a row

Sent from TapaTalk

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

im not complaining about my clutch and flywheel set up it is the factory clutch and fly wheel its been going strong for 115,000kms now.. daily traffic drivinv

Two reasons Throw out bearings usuall fail

1. they are shitty Plastic Caged bearings instead of old school hard core metal caged throw out bearings
    2. people driving lazy and resting their clutch foot ("lighty") on the clutch instead of taking foot off and resting it on the dead pedal by the Exhaust tunnel instead

if you think the Fly wheel in the Mazdabator is bad try owning a mk4 Golf GTI 1.8t worlds most underpowered turbo motor and clutches still manage to go at 40,000kms they cant handle extra power at all

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    Ok so I left work today and the sound was getting worse and louder. I went home and jacked up the car to see what was going on

I turned the front wheels to see if it would make the sound and it didn't but I found out the problem.

My left front wheel had 3 loose nuts. 3 of them were finger tight!!

The dealership was the last people to touch my Tyres when they rotated and aligned them 3 weeks ago. I can't see how 3 could have come loose by themselves.

I am still going to drop my car off so they can check if there any damage resulting of the loose nuts and to bring up some warranty issues i have

Anyone else had this problem before or can I pretty much blame the Dealership? Just want to get my ducks in a row

Sent from TapaTalk
    Never had that issue Pete. Good you found the problem, but yikes! :

And Ranton, I know what you re the Mk IV GTI. I sold mine with about 45 thou on the clock and I had thrust bearing noise for about 40 thou of those kays. Had it 'adjusted' by VW twice with no discernible difference. Never had the clutch fail, though I can see how easy it would have been.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 01-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Yeah, I've had that happen. Don't you feel like a prize twit when it's something so simple.
    My front left wheel nuts worked loose after I did the tyre rotation myself. I'm a pretty big bloke, and can put a lot of torque on a wheel brace, but they still came loose.
    I should have double checked them.
    A few weeks ago I had a bearing nut come loose after a visit to the dealership.
    Same thing I guess, should have checked.
    For your sake, glad it was so simple.

SLIXX, see my reply on your original thread. Cheers.