http://www.fastbrakes.com/product_p/...peed3%2013.htm

Stop Tech: $2200 + Shipping & Taxes
    http://www.edgeautosport.com/stoptec...brake-kit-ms3/
    Pros: 2 Piece Rotor
    Cons: don't fit under stock rims

Willwood 6 piston caliper: $950 + Shipping
    2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 6 piston performance brake kit
    Pros: Well priced, fits stock rotor
    Cons: Willwood calipers are ok, but are at the cheaper end of the spectrum, don't fit under stock rims.

Vsport/AP Kit: Likely ~$3000+
    V-sport
    Pros: AP Calipers are top notch, DBA Rotors are excellent value
    Cons: Costly

For the record: The stock calipers are amazing for what they are, with an aggressive pad and rotor combination they provide ample stopping power. The issue is that the pad starts to wear unevenly when subjected to large forces and I am getting tired of changing pads and rotors over all the time just for track days. Pads are a lot easier to change in fixed calipers as well. I am conflicted over this decision, I just don't need extra stopping power, if I did then this would be a no brainer. It's more the ancillary benefits that I am after.
    Last edited by Reedy; 14-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Good information there! That Willwood option also allows you to select AP caliper. Doesn't say if its like a 4 or 6 pot though. Been looking at big brake kits myself but i dunno which one to pick. Don't forget theres some other ones such as Endless & Project Mu which are all apparently quite good. Endless can be quite expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Big Brake Kit Post!

Brembos: $1650 + Shipping & Taxes
    Brembo 4 Piston Fr Big Brake Kit for 05-09 Mazda 3 | eBay
    Pros: Well priced, Brembo street cred
    Cons: Single Piece Rotor, Brembo wank factor

Willwood/AP 4 piston kit: $1650 (+600 for AP Calipers) + Shipping & Taxes
    2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 13" 4 piston performance big brake kit

Stop Tech: $2200 + Shipping & Taxes
    StopTech Big Brake Kit Mazdaspeed 3 MS3
    Pros: 2 Piece Rotor
    Cons:

Willwood 6 piston caliper: $950 + Shipping
    2007-2008 Mazdaspeed3 6 piston performance brake kit
    Pros: Well priced, fits stock rotor
    Cons: Willwood calipers are ok, but are at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Vsport/AP Kit: Likely ~$3000+
    V-sport
    Pros: AP Calipers are top notch, DBA Rotors are excellent value
    Cons: Costly

For the record: The stock calipers are amazing for what they are, with an aggressive pad and rotor combination they provide ample stopping power. The issue is that the pad starts to wear unevenly when subjected to large forces and I am getting tired of changing pads and rotors over all the time just for track days. Pads are a lot easier to change in fixed calipers as well. I am conflicted over this decision, I just don't need extra stopping power, if I did then this would be a no brainer. It's more the ancillary benefits that I am after.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Stop Tech - Product Details

I am shopping around to see if I can get myself a set of these Stop Tech calipers combined with a DBA Rotor and my own choice of Pads. Ideally i'd like to get the Calipers from America and if GSL can supply me with my consumable needs then that will be the best option I think.

I would like them in Blue or Yellow but that costs and extra $200 which imo isn't worth it.

Default Operation: Car Make Go Faster

It is ridiculous that they charge extra for a different colour.

It's the same as the wilwoods - $160 extra for red paint.

Such a price gouge, since when did red paint cost more than black?!

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread.

A couple of questions regarding your brake setup @Reedy.

When you change out your street pads for your track ones, are you changing front and rear? Given the rears do so little, is a full set of racing brake pads worth the investment over just a pair on the fronts?

Also, after your last session using the Carbotechs, what's your opinion of those vs the QFM A1RMs?

I only swap the fronts. The rears are a permanent race compound (atm theyre Project Mu Club racers but ill swap them to Carbotech XP10 soon). The rears don't squeal enough to force me to change them between track and street.

The rears do so little as it stands but if you put a more aggressive pad in the rear then this can help fix the ridiculous front biasing problem and actually improve performance quite a lot. Having street brakes on the back is counter intuitive to this philosophy as the rears will to relatively even less than they already do.

The Carbotechs are miles above the A1RM's in terms of race performance, but they squeal so badly that using them on the road is completely insufferable. A1RM squeal is tolerable for daily driving, Carbotech XP10's are not.

If you're going to swap brakes between track days anyway then definitely get the XP10's but if you want to be able to drive on the street and not look like an idiot then A1RM's are your best bet.
    Last edited by Reedy; 14-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.

Very interesting you leave the rears with a race compound, even when driving on the streets. Shows how little the rears really do if they don't squeal all that much.

I was planning on learning how to swap the pads over for track days, so I might go down the path of the XP10s and experiment to see what they are like on the rear for daily driving.

Looking like an idiot doesn't concern me too much - not after getting quizzical looks from pedestrians with that stupid airbox/BOV squeak for the last 5 months haha - but I'd get frustrated with constant squealing.

Thanks for the advice!

Trust me, the noise is insufferable. And you actually drive your car to work in the morning. Riding the brakes in peak hour would be hilarious.

The rears will be fine. You barely notice them, its only the fronts that make bad noise.
    Last edited by Reedy; 14-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Oh I believe you, I heard your brakes squealing on ANZAC day! I'll pick up a set of Remsa's or something for street driving, but I'll see what the XP10s are like on the rear.

Peak hour would be a joke...

Squeal coming to a stop --> Squeal moving from the lights as the pads drag on the rotor --> squeak from the airbox changing gear --> squeal from braking again.... rinse and repeat. Would sound like a bloody clown car!

After driving this Renault at the Nurburgring. All future efforts on my car will be with the goal of making it handle like one of these:

Renault Megane R26.R Returns 27 MPG, Sets FWD 'Ring Record

The main thing I am interested in is the front diff. We have the Quaife available as an upgrade but that is not fully optimised for track work. Whatever the diff is in this Renault is something pretty special.

To guarantee the best possible traction, the R26.R retains the limited slip differential from the Mégane Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26. This is a mechanical differential with helical teeth and retains the same transfer rate of 33%. The combination of this limited slip differential and independent steering-axis front suspension minimises torque steer and enables power to be applied earlier during cornering.

Now time to search and see if an aftermarket option exists. We know about Quaife, and I am not sure if Wavetracs are available for the MPS. More research required.....

The suspension geometry of that Renault is also superior to the MPS so we can't quite get it to handle exactly the same way. But i'll be damned if we can't get close!
    Last edited by Reedy; 04-11-2013 at 03:27 PM.

After driving this Renault at the Nurburgring. All future efforts on my car will be with the goal of making it handle like one of these:

Renault Megane R26.R Returns 27 MPG, Sets FWD 'Ring Record

The main thing I am interested in is the front diff. We have the Quaife available as an upgrade but that is not fully optimised for track work. Whatever the diff is in this Renault is something pretty special.

To guarantee the best possible traction, the R26.R retains the limited slip differential from the Mégane Renaultsport 230 F1 Team R26. This is a mechanical differential with helical teeth and retains the same transfer rate of 33%. The combination of this limited slip differential and independent steering-axis front suspension minimises torque steer and enables power to be applied earlier during cornering.

Now time to search and see if an aftermarket option exists. We know about Quaife, and I am not sure if Wavetracs are available for the MPS. More research required.....

The suspension geometry of that Renault is also superior to the MPS so we can't quite get it to handle exactly the same way. But i'll be damned if we can't get close!
    What is the body roll strength? I found unreal gains with bracing!
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Yep, bracing makes a massive difference.

Wavetrac have a great website with some excellent info but they're not available for the MPS ><Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

Wavetrac have a great website with some excellent info but they're not available for the MPS ><Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference
    Shame. Looks/ reads up good

Interesting.... Just read that the BYP Honda Integra (The fastest FWD car in the country) actually uses an OS Gieken 1.5 way LSD.....

I might send those guys an email and see what their take on it is....

Interesting.... Just read that the BYP Honda Integra (The fastest FWD car in the country) actually uses an OS Gieken 1.5 way LSD.....

I might send those guys an email and see what their take on it is....
    350kw its taking so power as well, must be good to put that power down in/exiting corners

The Wavetrac website does say in the FAQs:

"I don't see an application listed for my vehicle, what can I do? [-]
    The first thing to do is to check our Facebook page: http://www.fb.com/wavetrac and our site's news page for the latest developments. After that, feel free to contact us. We may have already begun making the Wavetrac you are looking for, but we just haven't publicly announced it yet. Remember, you may not be the only one looking. Many new applications have begun with a single phone call. It would also be a good idea to seek out fellow enthusiast owners that share an interest in the same vehicle. You may be able to gather enough people together to get a small production started."

I'd say the likelihood of them having an impending release for the MPS is remote, but I wonder what their idea of a "small production run" equates to? I'm sure a handful of people either here and/or MSF could be interested...

Interesting info about the BYP Racing Integra... I'm guessing a 1.5-way LSD for that is a more substantial upgrade than it would be in the MPS? Keep us updated on what you hear back from them.

steve,sorry we do not have any planned production for that application.
    Thanks for your inquiry,
    nathan
    boooo!
    Last edited by Reedy; 13-11-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Damn.. Start a post on MSF see if some bites, might start the ball rolling..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast