User Tag List

Thread: Tunehouse 50k Service Cost Opinion

1. Default Tunehouse 50k Service Cost Opinion

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys think about the cost of my 50,000 service, cause after reading a few threads about servicing, I thought what I paid was pretty expensive.

The quote was $220 plus parts, and the end price was $568, so I essentially paid $348 in parts.

I have attached the details of the service.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-06-18 17.27.50.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	8826

Thanks

new air and oil filter + spark plugs are what did it...

3. Default

Thanks for the reply.. !
    I hope subsequent visits will be cheaper then.. *fingers crossed*

Air Filter better be a K&N one or equivalent..... for about $90 u can pick one up.
    OIL should have been included in the $220 quote as its part of a standard service IMO.
    Lets say about $30 for the other parts.....
    So Spark Plugs are worth $230? I remember paying about 80-90 for a set of bosch sparks for my old sp23 ages ago.
    Whats so special about these sparks though?

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    Air Filter better be a K&N one or equivalent..... for about $90 u can pick one up.
    OIL should have been included in the $220 quote as its part of a standard service IMO.
    Lets sat about $30 for the other parts.....
    So Spark Plugs are worth $230? I remember paying about 80-90 for a set of bosch sparks for my old sp23 ages ago.
    Whats so special about these sparks though?
    oil was included... the oil FILTER isnt
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Considering the oil filter is changed with every oil change, thats abit weird.

Even so, isn't it only worth about max $20-$30?

Thats still $200 for spark plugs.....Which takes about 10-15mins to replace......

Nothing against Tunehouse, but i can't be the only one that thinks the price sounds quite expensive...

Give them a call Monday and have them itemise the parts costs.

I purchase my own parts and take them to my mechanic. He appreciates the convenience so we're both happy.

Sent from my iBrain using Tapatelepathy

mps uses iridium plugs I believe, not cheap, but dont think they are that much lol.

Yes the plugs are an expensive item, you are typically looking at about $100 for a set, why were they replaced, did you request it, modern plugs will usually see 80-100k before they need to be replaced.
    Also, assuming you still have your stock intercooler on, you need to factor the additional labour in for removing and replacing in order to gain access to the plugs.
    Oil isn't typically included in your base service price either, as different types if cars require different grades and quantities of oil.

As mentioned give them a call on Monday and ask for a more detailed cost breakdown.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity. But if you want to test a man's character - give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

considering I pay on average $450 to get mazda to service, that doesn't seem too bad. however, if I were paying that much, I'd just get mazda to do the service

That does seem expensive. The 50000km service is one of the little ones if you've been keeping up with the maintenance as per the book, I'll go through my records later today and post what my cost was from Brisbane's most exoensive Mazda service place if you want a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    Yes the plugs are an expensive item, you are typically looking at about $100 for a set, why were they replaced, did you request it, modern plugs will usually see 80-100k before they need to be replaced.
    Also, assuming you still have your stock intercooler on, you need to factor the additional labour in for removing and replacing in order to gain access to the plugs.
    Oil isn't typically included in your base service price either, as different types if cars require different grades and quantities of oil.

As mentioned give them a call on Monday and ask for a more detailed cost breakdown.
    Yeh, as per MattMPS3's comment.

I guess i didn't take the intercooler into consideration when i say a 15 min job. I only did it on my old sp23.

Best get a breakdown, maybe that will shed some light on the matter. But then who knows, maybe they accidentally over-charged you even......

Quote Originally Posted by TD View Post
    That does seem expensive. The 50000km service is one of the little ones if you've been keeping up with the maintenance as per the book, I'll go through my records later today and post what my cost was from Brisbane's most exoensive Mazda service place if you want a comparison.
    As above, found my receipt from my 50000km service. Cost was $237.30 including a new set of wiper blades.

Plugs are good for 150,000kms in these cars I believe.
    $220 is right for labour. $110 per hour. 2 hours is a bit long, but a fair charge.
    Genuine plugs are worth about $60 each.

TMIC + Spark plug change = pain in the ass.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SP23HO View Post
    Yeh, as per MattMPS3's comment.

I guess i didn't take the intercooler into consideration when i say a 15 min job. I only did it on my old sp23.

Best get a breakdown, maybe that will shed some light on the matter. But then who knows, maybe they accidentally over-charged you even......
    I see. Well, they showed me the old plugs and they looked pretty worn, so they made the call to change it (not that I'm experienced at looking at what a worn spark plug looks like). I didn't know it was a "big" job. They mentioned the new plugs will last 100,000km's if I don't do any mods to the car.

My car is stock. I'll get a breakdown of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by mashimus View Post
    My car is stock. I'll get a breakdown of the cost.
    Did u ever get a breakdown of the cost??im due for my 50k in Feb,

I also notice on the invoice, the oil they use is 10w-40?
    isnt the recommended spec for mps 5w-30??

I think I read somewhere that Mazda specified different oils for Gen I and Gen II's.

Not sure which is which tho.