User Tag List

Thread: taking your mobile overseas

1. Default taking your mobile overseas

OK im a total tech noob.

We both had our phones while overseas and they were switched off the whole time from sydney airport. Last time i had my phone overseas too but was using it for web stuff. I know i got sms's while away but they were all lost and I never got them after i came back to australia.

This time even with my phone off I know both myself and Brett got sent SMS's and they are still lost. His phone also always stuffs up after he comes back from overseas his mail settings etc.

I would have thought having phone turned off is sufficient so SMS's not lost settings dont go weird etc etc .. but like i said I have no idea about techo stuff

WE both just have Nokie E72 phones nothing fancy

Any ideas ?
    Last edited by blackbetty; 17-06-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

got raped with roaming bills, $900 about 2 years back =/

SMSs would be a tricky one methinks as I don't think there's much in the way of network checks that tell you whether an SMS was received by the intended recipient, even within Aust, let alone if it has to be handed off to an overseas carrier.

Just a guess, but I can't recall ever receiving an SMS while being overseas, even with global roaming activated. Might also come down to the agreement your carrier has with the overseas carrier you're connected to at the time

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

I've never had a problem with SMS overseas. Thanks Telstra. I never use it for calls and always make sure I switch off data roaming.

My mum is in Canada ATM and has been sending me some mms without a problem and I told her not to change any settings on her phone.

Maybe other carriers are different but as I work for the big 'T' wouldn't know.

SMS's have a validity period set by you in your phone settings menu, I believe the 'maximum period' setting is determined by your provider ( and should the the standard default setting )so if ypur phone was off for 2 weeks+ they end up in text message heaven.
    The same thing happened to me I few yrs ago and after going spare at some poor employee on the phone I was told all this, who know if it was all true though ?

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by raffa View Post
    SMS's have a validity period set by you in your phone settings menu, I believe the 'maximum period' setting is determined by your provider ( and should the the standard default setting )so if ypur phone was off for 2 weeks+ they end up in text message heaven.
    The same thing happened to me I few yrs ago and after going spare at some poor employee on the phone I was told all this, who know if it was all true though ?

Sent from my iPhone using my iFingers
    ow wow thanks for that didnt know that must be what happened cause we definately didnt have roaming on or anything set up like that and phones were off entire time
    Taken my boring, bland, lame Subaru and my fat ass and driven off into the sunset with a smile on my face

Quote Originally Posted by ash460 View Post
    I've never had a problem with SMS overseas. Thanks Telstra. I never use it for calls and always make sure I switch off data roaming.

My mum is in Canada ATM and has been sending me some mms without a problem and I told her not to change any settings on her phone.

Maybe other carriers are different but as I work for the big 'T' wouldn't know.
    This ^ it's how I got myparents to send me some extra $$$ whilst overseas, sms... they were like 2-3 times the price, but meh didn't send enough for it to really matter
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    ow wow thanks for that didnt know that must be what happened cause we definately didnt have roaming on or anything set up like that and phones were off entire time
    as i say it may just be excuse bullshit ( which wouldnt surprise me either ) but thats what i was told
    "la fortuna favorisce il coraggioso"
    CP-E TMIC, K&N typhoon SRI , COBB 2way adjustable shifter, TWM bushings, Sure AGS 212g knob, JBR 70a trilogy mounts, JBR boost tubes, Medieval 2.5" TIP, 2XS racepipe, 2XS interior light upgrade, Hypertech , RDA slotted front rotors, DGR coilovers, hotchkis RSB, Ultragauge EM, Work CE28N'S in blaze blue, D1 blue lugs

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    got raped with roaming bills, $900 about 2 years back =/
    Yep same last yr while in Houston TX

Best thing to do is take your phone to your carrier and say that you're handing your phone over to a relative or that you're going over seas for an extended time and you want to run a different sim, this will get them to unlock the phone so it can work with other carriers sim cards.

Once you're overseas purchase a pre paid or I think in the US they call them pay as you go or something like that, and use that while overseas to make calls and what not. The biggest bill buster is the data used while overseas, I used my phone to reply to emails and GPS to know how to get around the place while on foot, calls were not so bad but data was a total killer.

I also recently found it weird that SMS messages and calls cost way freaking more in NZ than while in the USA, try freaking working that one out!!!

sorry a bit unrelated but...
    Do Not Fear Torque Steer...

ZOOM F*cking ZOOM Biatch!!

10. Default

Went searching on the web now for the maximum validity persiod of an sms and found this thread Undelivered SMS on Optus [Archive] - Aussie Phorums

Appears Optus maximum is 7 days. Thanks once again for the explanation and helping me work out what happened

When we go overseas, usually I just buy a cheap/nasty $100 pre-paid job while over there. Often it saves a lot on calls and messages... But since my work phone has Global Roaming anyway and it's on over there, it's a bit of a pain carrying 2 phones around.

(Sorry, I know that doesn't help you with your problem Mel )
    Last edited by Jeev; 21-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Do you mean lost as in never received? or just removed from your phone... hmmmm... SMS's don't 'expire' to the best of my knowledge, although I've never really been aware of anyone having their phone off for two weeks.

13. Default

lost as in never received

Awww, so you didn't get my txt that said I hope you guys were having an awesome time and enjoying the warm weather .

Sent from my iPhone by Leetapatalk =P

15. Default

I suggest that you disable all data services even before you leave the country. The last thing you would want is to stare down an overpriced bill you had no idea of. It really is common to be charged some dollars for international services so you have to keep in watch of that. I suggest that you phone the service provider beforehand to let them know, on record, that you wanted these services out.