User Tag List

Thread: Mazda 787B visits Le Mans 20 years after its historic victory

Default Mazda 787B visits Le Mans 20 years after its historic victory

Filed under: Motorsports, Videos, Mazda, Racing

1991 Mazda 787B at Le Mans - Click above to watch the videos after the break

In 1991, the Mazda 787B made history at the 24 Hours of Le Mans by becoming the first Japanese-built machine to win the race. In addition, the 787B was the first (and continues to be the only) rotary-powered race car to achieve the feat. To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the historic victory, Mazda restored the winning car and announced it would be bringing it to France for this year's 24-hour race.

Of course, Mazda had the cameras rolling to document the event, and has published several videos of the 787B at Circuit de la Sarthe. Our favorite is a lap with Jonny Herbert behind the wheel, the man who crossed the checkered flag before anyone else in this very car 20 years ago. You can also watch Patrick Dempsey talk about and drive the car, as well as see an overview of the car's 20th anniversary celebration.

Follow the jump to see the videos. Or rather, considering that the 787B may be the single most awesome-sounding race car ever conceived, follow the jump to hear the videos.Continue reading Mazda 787B visits Le Mans 20 years after its historic victory

Mazda 787B visits Le Mans 20 years after its historic victory originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

I have to admit, after going to the Mazda Museum in Hiroshima, seeing this car in real life, it bought a tear to my eye. to hear it gives me the biggest goosebumps.
    One of my friends from Mazda has had the privelidge of driving this car around the Miyoshi proving ground. I wish I could have seen it driving!! just the idle and free rev gives me shivers... Mazda North america has one too in the secret Bat cave under the Mazda speed section. Oh I wish you all could see what they have their, Mazdaspeed 6- Turbo and Supercharged.... NICE.
    Again I can go on for hours and hours with stories like this.