User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MPS 6 Clutch replacement

Default MPS 6 Clutch replacement

Hi All,

Just had the bad news from my dodgy dealer that my 12 months warranty does not cover the clutch in my MPS6...

I currently have a very noisy throwout bearing that is in need of replacement.

Waiting on a quote from Werribee Mazda (NOT the guys I got the car from) on getting this repaired... just had the call from them $3470 all up!!!
    Clutch Kit: $780
    Flywheel: $1600
    FWheel bolts: $40
    Gearbox Oil: $50
    Labour: $1100

FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRKKKKK

Contemplating aftermarket clutch options... Exedy Sport Tuff kit with single mass flywheel is only $1550!

Has anybody got any reccomendations on where else I can get this done in Melbourne? Preferably out west.

Sigh...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Sorry to hear the bad news mate. try Horsepower factory to give yourself a ballpark figure on the outside of Mazda dealer quotes. They are in Dandenong but at least you can give yourself a figure to compare with and they have done a few members cars here - notably Grajy's (Jon) pocket rocket

Not good mate.

Why do they need to replace the flywheel as well? Can't they just machine it flat again?

Penfold Hawthorn Mazda quoted me $1400 (Including labour) to replace the clutch in a gen 1 MPS 3.

But they did not mention that they would need to replace the flywheel.

They tell me that because it is a dual mass flywheel it cannot be machined, and therefore will "most likely" need to be replaced.

The excessive labour is due to the car being AWD apparently...

Might ring HPF and Hawthorn Mazda and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

Chris.

best to call HPF i had a light weight aluminum flywheel with a six puck racing clutch installed into my mps3 for about $2500 works well and drives nice for an every dayer.

Just did a bit of research. It would seem you are correct about not being able to machine a dual mass flywheel.

Interesting considering Penfold did not mention it at all...

Just got off the phne to HP-F...

Original quote $1700!!!!

Then the guy (Jeremy) realised he had quoted the 3 clutch not the 6... DOH! About $600 dearer for the 6... But still waaaaay cheaper than Mazda...

HP-F are quoting on a "Spec" brand clutch... the Exedy Sport Tuff is about $500 cheaper for the kit.

Which is the way to go?

Chris.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,

Looks like gslrallysport can get the Exedy clutches. Might be worth sending him a pm to see what he recommends / price he can do?
    Last edited by boost; 15-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    But still waaaaay cheaper than Mazda...

Chris.
    I'm glad its cheaper than the Mazda "rorters" oops i meant dealers - was the HPF quote including labour?

What difference is there between single and dual mass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

Only just saw this in passing... kind of need to get back to work, so sorry if this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

2 second explanation: Basically, think of it as two flywheels connected together via a sort of spring set-up that allows a bit of differentiation of movement between the two masses, the movement allows some 'shock absorption' (although I don't think that's the best choice of words) to smooth out torque 'bumps' that are delivered down the driveline from the engine. Common Rail diesels and Direct Injection engines tend to give out little spikes of torque that can increase vibration in the drive line (and therefore other parts of the car), make things uncomfortable, increase NVH etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by andy b View Post
    What difference is there between single and dual mass?
    Replacement Dual Mass flywheel = $1600 (Mazda) + clutch kit $780 (Mazda)

Complete performance clutch kit with single mass flywheel = $1550 (Autobarn)

Otherwise a dual mass flywheel works like a heavier flywheel, only without the extra weight.

Chris.

Yes but from a quick search, and from the description above, it will increase NVH levels

Quote Originally Posted by xander2134 View Post
    best to call HPF i had a light weight aluminum flywheel with a six puck racing clutch installed into my mps3 for about $2500 works well and drives nice for an every dayer.
    Question. Could u use a racing aftermarket clutch with the dual mass flywheel? That way u don't get increased NVH (assume this has something to do with vibrations or noise) but you would get a grippier clutch.

I will be looking at doing something in this department soonish. Does anyone know of a good non-Mazda mechanic in Brizi?

Cheers
    Ezy-Flash Pro - GTX2867R - NPC Clutch/Solid State flywheel - Autotech Fuel Pump Internals - ATP 3" TIP - Cobb SRI - NGK Plugs - CPE FMIC - 2XS Dump Pipe/100 Cel Cat - 3" Custom CatBack Exhaust - TRMotorsport MT1 18x8.5's -Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40/18 - DBA Slotted Rottors - Remsa Pads - 60mm Boost Gauge in middle vent - Bilstein B8 - Kings - Turbosmart BOV - emblemless front grill - debadged rear - 2WD Switch

I currently have a solid state flywheel and sprung centre brass button clutch, you wont notice sweet f/a from what you have now, however sometimes with heavy duty clutches shudder on takes offs is what you may feel more evident.

16. Default

Do all MPS6's have the dual mass flywheel? Or just the early ones? I remember hearing the clutch was different somehow in the 06/07's.

Quote Originally Posted by nsayn View Post
    Do all MPS6's have the dual mass flywheel? Or just the early ones? I remember hearing the clutch was different somehow in the 06/07's.
    To my knowledge the revised clutch retains the dual mass flywheel. Many of the earlier models were changed to the new clutch under warranty.

Gone to Volvo

Sorry to hear the bad news I am just experincing the same problem at the moment ! Its strange cause the car still drove well but now that I have seen the clutch and the flywheel they are ****ed ! Been in NZ know one wants to touch it but I have found a mate to do the job and its still not cheap I thank factory parts at his discount are around 450 for clutch 1100 for flywheel plus other bits. Not a very nice feeling ! I had a look for aftermarket clutches but know one would gurantee the work so have stayed with factory. MPSgarage do a flywheel and clutch kit whish looks ok but I was told to stay away from the lightened flywheel as it has more negitives than positives hopefully the new standard clutch with hold up to a bit more power that I am doing at the same time

good luck with your car and know that other people are in the same boat all the best !

Sigh...

So, drove it to work today... getting off freeway I noticed my clutch noise, which used to be a grumbly/squealy noise, accompanied by jerky clutch movement has now become grindy/chewing noise accompanied by heavy pulsing of the clutch pedal and shuddering on take off... methinks it is shagged now...

Engine noise/smoothness was still normal when not on the clutch, so I am thinking it is just the throwout/clutch/flywheel that has carked it (fingers crossed)...

Back on to HP-F to book her in methinks... hopefully it gets me home, and then from to HP-F...

Anyone I should talk to there to get looked after?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    Sigh...

So, drove it to work today... getting off freeway I noticed my clutch noise, which used to be a grumbly/squealy noise, accompanied by jerky clutch movement has now become grindy/chewing noise accompanied by heavy pulsing of the clutch pedal and shuddering on take off... methinks it is shagged now...

Engine noise/smoothness was still normal when not on the clutch, so I am thinking it is just the throwout/clutch/flywheel that has carked it (fingers crossed)...

Back on to HP-F to book her in methinks... hopefully it gets me home, and then from to HP-F...

Anyone I should talk to there to get looked after?

Chris
    My Dealings with HPF have been through the lad Jeremy, he has seen a few faces from ozmps club i would imagine, so no harm in mentioning you heard their name here.

hope it all gets sorted mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast