Name:	IMG_2885 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2887 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	8926

Goes in mid next week... then I can give back the bananna car!

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

Cool, keep us updated!!!

How much all up for the Exedy clutch package?

Quote Originally Posted by BCMPS View Post
    How much all up for the Exedy clutch package?
    $1595 from Autobarnz in Melton.

Dropped the car in thismorning... hopefully the clutch goes in without hassle in the next day or three...

Chris.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,

and how much roughly for the labour? I wonder if this kit provide better feel and smoother gear changing.

Labour cost was $600 for install... quotes ranged from there (My local guy and HP-f) to $1100 (Werribee Mazda)...

This clutch is good... slightly heavier pedal feel, but much better bite, and yet also more slippable for takeoffs, reversing etc.

Full review in another thread when I am feeling motivated...

Chris.

Quick question, you got everything you needed for $1550 + $600 labour instead of $3500 including labour from Mazda?

Yes... However the next MPS 6 clutch my guy does will probably cost $6000 in labour...

Took him extra time as he had never done one in an MPS before, he spent a bit of time consulting the Workshop manual I printed for him. And while putting it back together he found a much easier way to get it done than what the manual says to do... Seems life is much easier if you just drop the subframe out as the first step, which is NOT what the manual says...

I was quoted $600 for installation by Horsepower Factory, who have done MPS's before, and $500-$800 by Saas automotive, who have not done an MPS but have done EVO's and WRX's...

Sadly none of these are local to you in Perth.

Chris.

So my MPS6 clutch is starting to slip in everyday driving, doesn't really feel like it
    but the smell is there, not doing it all the time, twice in 2 weeks.
    So does it need replacing ASAP ?
    Would prefer to wait til the new year but don't want to break down or cause any more damage
    and what are the replacement options and recommended workshops in Ipswich/ Brisbane area?
    Will prob get a quote from Mazda but i'm sure that'll scare me a bit.
    Cheers Todd

I did the clutch myself in my MPS6 about 12 months ago and can confirm the quickest way is to just drop the subframe from the word go.

I bought the ACT street kit which also came with a new lightweight flywheel. If your engine mounts are screwed like mine then I wouldn't recommend a lightweight flywheel, you get some pretty big vibrations that the dual mass OEM one obviously used to absorb.

Do some research into the SPEC or Exedy kits and what flywheel options you have; machining the OEM one is not really that practical.

Any more than 8 hours labour from a good mechanic is a rip-off. I'm not a mechanic and managed to do it with breaks and going out to buy extra tools in about 14 hours.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Oh and to answer your question about not replacing ASAP, just be super super nice to your clutch and it should settle down a bit. I managed to get an extra month out of mine while I waited for the ACT kit to come from the U.S.

When we took it out it was well n truly fried though!

Quote Originally Posted by 12Lead View Post
    So my MPS6 clutch is starting to slip in everyday driving, doesn't really feel like it
    but the smell is there, not doing it all the time, twice in 2 weeks.
    So does it need replacing ASAP ?
    Would prefer to wait til the new year but don't want to break down or cause any more damage
    and what are the replacement options and recommended workshops in Ipswich/ Brisbane area?
    Will prob get a quote from Mazda but i'm sure that'll scare me a bit.
    Cheers Todd
    I know a company that do super quick clutch changes on the track but that's on a MPS3 can't be that much harder... 8 hours by a mechanic sounds a bit long as well..Quote un quote I thought the guys told me that the MPS6 was dearer to replace a clutch and was around and under $2000 and the 3 was a less ???????
    Like sand in the hour glass are the days of my life.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.
    You will be in our prays
    Leelu.

Thanks for the input guys ,appreciate it.
    Anyone else?
    Cheers Todd

Think mps2nv has aftermarket, might be worth sending him a pm?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Cool Clutch replacement

I like the look of the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit, don't think I need to replace the flywheel, where in Qld can I order one. Looked at the overseas vendors and no one would send to Australia. (thought the internet was suppose to be my friend?).

Thanks
    David

OK so I spoke to a bunch of guys on the U.S. forums who are running ACT kits and nearly all of them are happy. Those that weren't got a dodgy batch of pressure plates early on which were replaced for free under warranty. ACT have since changed the kit to a heavier flywheel and this has settled down the vibrations/chatter.

As far as value for money goes, I am glad I went with the ACT kit and I would recommend it to you

How many k's are these clutches going on?

Mine went at 95,000kms but I suspect whoever owned the car before me wasn't particularly nice to the clutch.

Most clutch installs to date have been due to upgraded power output I suspect, but all of the MPS6s are getting on in the years now so I guess we'll start hearing about more going due to general wear.

Mine was at about 130,000k's...

Car was basically stock at the time.

Chris.

UPDATE!
    The ****er slips! Seems OK on takeoff, but give it a little, say in 5th on the freeway, and the revs flare up to 4kish...

First noticed it a week or two ago when overtaking someone, but thought it was my imagination, but have noticed it a couple more times recently and tested, can get it to flare in 4th or above...
    @slixx Who did you discuss the issues with the ecedy clutches with?

Going back to my mechanic to get this checked out...

Sigh,

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Victa View Post
    UPDATE!
    The ****er slips! Seems OK on takeoff, but give it a little, say in 5th on the freeway, and the revs flare up to 4kish...

First noticed it a week or two ago when overtaking someone, but thought it was my imagination, but have noticed it a couple more times recently and tested, can get it to flare in 4th or above...
    @slixx Who did you discuss the issues with the ecedy clutches with?

Going back to my mechanic to get this checked out...

Sigh,

Chris.
    @gslrallysport
    Pm your email address and I'll forward the correspondence with GSLRALLYSPORT and Exedy

Sorry to hear mate

Peter "SLIXX"

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast