User Tag List

Thread: '05 Mazda 6 MPS Maintenance

1. Default '05 Mazda 6 MPS Maintenance

Hey guys,

I'm new here, from the Central Coast NSW.

I used to have a 323 Astina SP20 that I recently sold. Had it for 10 years and it was super reliable (after 260k+ k's!). As such, I know Mazda build a quality car so I'm going to sell my current fpos and considering an '05 Mazda 6 MPS.

I do less k's than I used to but I still will be on the freeway from time to time. So anyway, my question is... I don't want to get killed forking out $$ down the track for maintenance. Regular wear and tear kind of thing that is part and parcel of owning a performance car.

I've never owned a turbo car so along with general running costs, there are things like the turbo, brakes and awd that need to be looked at that may/may not need service carried out.

I drive sensibly and I'd choose wisely with my purchase (reasonable k's, well looked after, not modified etc). So without doubting the quality of this model, can anyone that's owned for 4-6 years speak from experience as to what I can expect maintenance-wise?

Also, anyone got any tips when shopping? Things to look out for on this model etc? Common problems etc?

Cheers
    Justin

Hi Justin

I have recently bought an 06 MPS6 and I have been a merc boy for the last several years and the MPS is wicked a great car which I have found very reliable and just a great car to own ! I keep it well serviced and noting has really come up apart from wear and tear stuff. I am just in the process of replacing the clutch (and know flywheel too) and doing engine mounts gearbox mounts and stuff that is a wear and tear item but I am juts the unlucky person that has to replace it from the last owner and me giving the car hell

I am just in the process of doing a few mods such as downpipe intake exhaust bov short shifter new mounts etc and its good fun (not too cheap though as there are not many mps6's around) but easy to get more power from them as the stock items are so restrictive !

This is my first turbo car too and the gas is not to bad (better than my old 3.7L 6 cyl merc anyway) If i thrash the hell out of it when the car is standard around town I get about 350kms to a tank but drive it nice and goes up to 450 and open road driving i have had 650km to a tank

Overall buy one of these cars they are a bit rarer not to in your face and a nice car !

Hope this helps

Hi Justin,

I am also on the CC and have an 05 6MPS. Similar to you I only do ~20,000km/y which is >50% freeway driving to Sydney, now a total of 98,000km. I have had the car since new. Apart from an initial clutch replacement by Mazda to improve driveability I have never had a single problem. In the past 12 months I have done some performance mods (dp, SRI, Ecutek tune, short shift plate). These mods dont put much extra strain on the engine and I think are well within its design specifications.

I am about to change the front discs + pads for the first time and the back has more to go before replacing so very happy with that. I intend to have the car for another 5 years if no similar/better car is released by another reputable manufacturer - I'm still waiting. I guess I might have to look at the turbo seals or clutch during the next 100,000km but with my low-stress driving maybe everything will hold together well. I do enjoy pushing the engine in first and second as appart from track work there is limited opportunity to really enjoy the performance of this car on public roads.

So to answer your question, I am just expecting regular maintenance costs as per regular 6 monthly services at Central Coast Mazda, who do quite a good job.
    Last edited by Scienceman; 15-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.
    Cheers,

Scienceman

(rerum novarum cupidus - remain unbiased and curious)

4. Default

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for the feedback, much appreciated!

Going to look at one this weekend. Will let you know how I go.

Cheers
    Justin

Beware Clutch throwout bearing noise... Took mine into the (Nissan) dealer I bought it from yesterday to have a very noisy throwout bearing looked at...

When I went to pick it up they told me that they "Have to speak to the manager to see how much of it is going to be covered by warranty, as it is a huge job to change"

They checked with mazda (next door to them) and Mazda rekon it will be a 12 hour job for Nissan to do it, 9 hours for Mazda to do it...

Still waiting for them to call back today...

Chris.
    '05 MPS 6, Liquid Silver Metallic, Leather, Sunroof.

DashHawk, TurboSmart Dualport, COBB SF SRI and TIP, CPe REM, 2XS Titanium SSP, Coolant bypass,
    Exedy OEM spec clutch, Corksport SS Braided Clutch Line, ROH Mantis 18*7.5+45.

Growing old is compulsory... Growing up is optional...

6. Default

Thanks for the tip Chris! I'm no expert, so what would I be listening for with this bearing noise in the clutch?

Fingers crossed for you mate, hope they take care of you under warranty!

Justin

Sigh... Apparently my clutch warranty only covers 2wd vehicles.

For the record... Werribee Nissan have the worst service ever... I have had to chase them every step of the way, only to be told "sucks to be you"...

Any ideas who in the western suburbs of Melbourne can put in an MPS6 clutch? Got Werribee mazda quoting on it, but I know that is going to hurt...

Chris.