User Tag List

Thread: Boost Tapering Suggestions (GT3071R - Stock Block)

Default Boost Tapering Suggestions (GT3071R - Stock Block)

Hey guys,

im bout to put in a big turbo in my 6 MPS (mods in signature)

im after someone's wise words of tuning in regards to boost tapering in at certain RPM ranges due to me planning to do this on stock block.

my original thought:
    planning to have 14PSI to 3500RPM then 18-20PSI till 5500rpm then taper down to 14PSI @6000RPM+

then luke has briefly recommended:
    3500rpm 17-18 psi, 5500rpm 15-16psi, 6000rpm 12-14psi.

any input would be appreciated guys
    Cheers
    ~Ray

Let me start this off by say i'm not an expert and take no responsibility if you blow your engine

If it was me i would start off with something like 15psi to 3500rpm then up to 17psi by 4000rpm and hold that until about 5500rpm then taper down to 15 by 6000rpm. Then review the logged data. If there's no knock, AFR seem to be in a safe range & absolute load isn't over about 200% anywhere then proceed to dial up the boost after 3500rpm. Just for reference with my current tune on the BNR stage 3 i hit 15psi at 3300rpm and taper up to 19psi at 6000rpm before the throttle plate starts to close up.

Have a look through the thread below and see how this guys car goes. He starts posting data logs on post #286 and on that one he holds 19psi to 6700rpm
    ATP 3071r swap how to , lenny gets BT fever too - Page 8 - Mazdaspeed Forums

Also i think you'll have fuel pressure problems and need to upgrade your pump when you start going over 18psi with that turbo but thats just what i think

Good luck mate
    Last edited by Toddy22587; 15-06-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Good hard or go home.

Ditch the foam filter and get a paper (K&N) pod
    Fit it, let it run it's own boost levels (factory set levels) and have it retuned by Tunehouse.

Get a fuel pump upgrade if you decide to run more than 18psi.

boost levels on the factory setting could be anything depending on waste gate actuator spring and boost source restrictor hole size if using the standard bleed mode setup. So you'll have to play with it a bit first otherwise boost might just shoot up uncontrollably

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    Good hard or go home.

Ditch the foam filter and get a paper (K&N) pod
    Fit it, let it run it's own boost levels (factory set levels) and have it retuned by Tunehouse.

Get a fuel pump upgrade if you decide to run more than 18psi.
    heh thanks for the info man, i'll be sure to get one of them pod's once the TIP is ready

Watch your power its not so much your boost, if u have a lot of bolt ons you will have more power. most important no big boost under 3500rpm, and non over 6000rpm esp with 3071. Use the boost idea given as a guide to power progression....

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    Watch your power its not so much your boost, if u have a lot of bolt ons you will have more power. most important no big boost under 3500rpm, and non over 6000rpm esp with 3071. Use the boost idea given as a guide to power progression....
    Ahh ok, well i guess ill just advise jim @ tunehouse about these limitations and hopefully i can get a nice tune , i think i might stick to 19PSI max until i decide to do forged internals ... or until the block blows lol

If you dont have a dashhawk or simular would be a good idea to get one . Help you monitor everything

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Ahh ok, well i guess ill just advise jim @ tunehouse about these limitations and hopefully i can get a nice tune , i think i might stick to 19PSI max until i decide to do forged internals ... or until the block blows lol
    I have a spare block ready when you are
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I have a spare block ready when you are
    @ Troy.. u want everyone to borrow/exchange ur block im starting to think its a dud
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by luke 3mps View Post
    @ Troy.. u want everyone to borrow/exchange ur block im starting to think its a dud
    I don't need it anymore. I don't own an MPS.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

I don't need it anymore. I don't own an MPS.
    Sharing's care'n
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Is your exhaust manifold stock ray? It will be interesting results on how turbo reacts, Jim is you man

What is the stock boost control though the rpm?

I think HPF in Melbourne do a safe tune of around 17psi throughout?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Is your exhaust manifold stock ray? It will be interesting results on how turbo reacts, Jim is you man
    Hey mitch

Yer mani is still stock , I think the stock mani is pretty good , I can only flaw it with that springy thing in the middle... Not too bad hehe

Quote Originally Posted by rayd View Post
    Hey mitch

Yer mani is still stock , I think the stock mani is pretty good , I can only flaw it with that springy thing in the middle... Not too bad hehe
    The stock manifold is a POS. It has the flex joint in the middle.
    It has a valve style "flap" to separate the gasses from cylinder 1 and 2, which restricts flow at any sort of RPM (higher in the revs) Did you look at the colour difference from cylinders 1and 2 to the colour of 3 and 4. The dry side (1 and 2) means that it has been hotter than the gloss side (3 and 4) which means the flap has been restricting flow causing heat buildup.

Flap is "flapping and you can see the colour difference in the Youtube clip.

I would suggest a better manifold as soon as funds permit.
    Achievements
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

very interesting troy...

18. Default

I'll actually answer your original question.

Use the e-Boost2 from Turbosmart
    Adjustable Boost Levels: program boost against TIME or RPM.

The stock manifold is a POS. It has the flex joint in the middle.
    It has a valve style "flap" to separate the gasses from cylinder 1 and 2, which restricts flow at any sort of RPM (higher in the revs) Did you look at the colour difference from cylinders 1and 2 to the colour of 3 and 4. The dry side (1 and 2) means that it has been hotter than the gloss side (3 and 4) which means the flap has been restricting flow causing heat buildup.

Flap is "flapping and you can see the colour difference in the Youtube clip.

I would suggest a better manifold as soon as funds permit.
    Interesting indeed, ill have to suss out various options ... Thanks for the advise Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher_13 View Post
    I'll actually answer your original question.

Use the e-Boost2 from Turbosmart
    Adjustable Boost Levels: program boost against TIME or RPM.
    Yer I looked at that actually, but found it too expensive, ended up getting the Perrin ebcs pro, hopefully works well